Chapter 1 : The start

We are what we are


  Chapter 1
“I thought you wouldn’t make it.” Onew laughed as he saw his friend trying to catch his breath.
Seemingly gasping for air, Jonghyun struggled with his words,” I almost missed the train! I had to run across two streets to get here! And all you do is laugh at me? You... You heartless creature!"
‘Was that convincing? Did he buy it?’
Onew smiled as he patted his friend’s back. “Yes, yes it was.”
“What?” Jonghyun asked as he straightened himself, looking curiously at his friend.
‘What?’
Brushing Jonghyun off, Onew replied nonchalantly, still smiling. “Nothing. Nothing at all.”
 
 
“Hey Jinki!” Joon called out.
‘I wonder if Jinki has any spare pens I could borrow…I used mine to build a totally awesome model of the Eiffel Tower…’
Without waiting for Joon to speak, Jinki pulled out his desk drawer and grabbed a handful of pens and passed it to Joon. Surprised but satisfied, Joon was about to skip away happily when Jinki whispered to Joon softly in the busy office,” you know, you really should be working on that project due tomorrow rather than building models of Eiffel Towers out of Pens…”
‘What..How did he? Crap! The Project!’
“What…How did you? Crap! The project! Thanks Jinki!” Joon rushed off to his desk.
Shaking his head at Joon's frenzied response, Jinki went back to his work in front of him, casually flipping through files while his long-time friend stared at him curiously.
Jinki was glad that he reminded Joon. That way, Joon wouldn't get told off and come crying for his help at the last minute just like last month.


“Do you spy on Joon secretly like some creepy stalker?”
Choking on his tea, Onew turned to look at Jonghyun, flabbergasted.
“It’s just…you know how Joon came to borrow pens from you today?”
Onew nodded, as he tried to wipe of the spillage on the table.
“How did you-“
“Joon always comes to borrow stuff!” Onew replied rather quickly, interrupting Jonghyun.
“No need to get defensive! But how did you know…” Jonghyun stopped on purpose.
“…”
Seeing as Onew didn’t reply hurriedly like before, he continued.
“Pens…How did you know?”
Onew shrugged, sipping at his tea again. “I... I saw him building out of them.”
“Oh well, doesn't matter if you're a ert that stalks our colleagues. I’m just going to grab something before we head back okay?”
"I have better taste Jjong."
Hearing that, Jonghyun deadpanned. 
Pouting, Onew leant back on the chair waiting for Jonghyun as the latter walked towards the counter to order a drink.


‘Wait...It’s not possible to see Joon’s cubicle from our seats…Onew didn’t leave his cubicle at all…How...?'
“Sir, may I help you?” the cashier interrupted Jonghyun’s train of thoughts.
Composing himself,  he ordered his drink before heading back to the office with Onew.
‘I must be over-thinking things.’
“Sure you are.” Onew mumbled to himself, low enough so that it wasn’t heard by others but not soft enough to escape Jonghyun.
 
 
'I feel like I'm forgetting something... What was it?'
The two walked without words exchanged.
“Hey, where’s the book you promised to return me?” Onew breaking the silence.
‘That's the thing I forgot! Crap! I left it on the table this morning!’
“I…Err..I…Hyung! I’ve got to go to the restroom for a bit!”
'I'll just zap back real quick to retrieve it...'
Onew just nodded as his friend dashed off to the restroom.
Less than a minute later, Jonghyun emerged with a book in his hands as he smiled sheepishly at Onew.
“I’m not even going to ask why but you did wash your hands right?”
“Sure..” Jonghyun replied awkwardly, handing the book over.
Side-stepping Onew, he walked on leaving Onew a few steps behind him.
“For a decent actor, you’re a lousy liar…” Onew mumbled to himself, chuckling.
Unbeknownst to him, his words were loud enough to be coherent for Jonghyun.


AN: Can you tell what kind of person Jonghyun and Joon are? I hope you'd be able to figure it out from this chapter.^^