Bloody Hair

The Art of Getting By

Chapter 5: Bloody Hair

That empty yet heavy guilty feeling stayed in my heart for very long. A week or so, I endured tedious moments where Krystal would stare at me continuously without break. She didn't show any expression but the things she might have said was controlled by my brain, and in my heart: guilt.  

It's not like I knew her really well. Just somehow, her blood coloured hair and dark brown eyes reminded me of- i couldn't remember but it was there, at the tip of my tongue. 

"Hey man, Krystal is staring creepily again." Sungyeol whispered to me, nudging my elbow.

We were in the library. Books seemed to be chanting their stories softly from the oakwood shelves that laid in rows. The silence from closed doors and windows was broken by the crimson sound of new pages being turned carefully. Some of them were studying for another test that they'll soon forget, some of them were reading stories that travelled far across the unknown worlds and some of them were in there just because they loved being there- silence and solitude.

And in this library was a bloody haired girl, glaring at me with bloodshot eyes yet had the pitiful stare of an innocent little child.

"I know, let her be." I muttered back, continuing to scribble down my answers to my assignment.

"What's up with her? I know you're hot but not that hot." Sungyeol frowned a little.

I looked up at him, he looked disappointed. 

"Hey, I don't like her in that way." I tried to encourage him, it was quite obvious that he liked her.

"Yeah sure. She's a foreigner, how can you not like her?" Sungyeol scoffed.

"She's a stranger." I replied.

"She called you L." At this point, we had lost the casualty of best friends and dived into an intense glaring competition that I reluctantly took part in.

Sungyeol broke the silence,"But don't worry, I won't try to get her, i know i won't." 

Before I could think of a witty answer to fight back, he stood up and left with a defeated expression.


The clouds in the clear blue sky were moving rapidly against the painted colours. Morning birds were abnormally and unusually quiet as their sharp claws pierced into the oak wood of the tree branches. I could feel the untrimmed green grass poking my thighs as i sat on the field of a few meters wide. The creepy insects hidden and crawling in the undergrowth mistook me as land and crawled all over my big toe, i let them because unless they bit me, i couldn't care less. The deadly silence was too loud it gradually got deafening, piercing sharp prickly knives into my eardrums. Slowly, I heard a scream- of a little girl.

"You're always here, it's not fun like that." Krystal, again.

"Krystal. Stop looking for me, and stop glaring at me during classes i can't concentrate. I need to get an A for this term." I turned to her, warning her in a stern yet soothing voice.

"Sorry, does it disturb you?" She chuckled, looking up into the baby blue sky.

"Yes, immensely." I chuckled as well, looking up to the sky too.

"I apologise. Sometimes I can be a little creepy with this hair, had it since I was a baby, have this disease called Melanoma." She told me, looking down from the sky and to my eyes.

"It makes your hair red?" I asked.

"Yeah, if you look carefully my eyelashes and eyebrow hair are a deep red colour of maroon." She came closer to me to let me observe it. It felt weird, to have girl's face to near to mine. Although i didn't feel anything, the situation was obviously a little too inappropriate for two students who just met a day ago. 

I moved back soon after, which made her jerk back awkwardly as well. "They really are red coloured." I smiled, saying.

"Weird, aren't I?" Krystal gave a choked laugh, looking the other way.

"I think it's great, to be born different, to have something significant about you. Other people just start out different as children and grow up to be dull and boring working machines when they're adults." I looked the other way too.

I think we both knew why we looked the other way, to hide our tears.

Krystal looked back,"You're nice, i was wrong about you," She smiled, pulled herself up by grabbing onto a branch of the tree, "I guess I really am just a little kid."

I locked my eyes on hers,"What?"

"You'll find out soon enough." She smiled gently but weakly and ran back into the building.

What was that all about?

I sighed, ruffling my hair, some girls are so confusing. But then again, maybe just this girl. Maybe just this girl.

 

Author's Note:

Hey, please do support me by upvoting, commenting and sharing this story :-)