Breakfast with Grandma

Off To Grandmother's House We Go

Baekhyun opened the trunk of the car and got out the gift basket. He walked to the front of the house and rang the doorbell. “Get behind me and look nice. You know how Grandma can be.” Daehyun and Taehyung followed obidiently and stood behind Baekhyun. The door opened to reveal Grandma, an elderly lady who still carried herself youthfully and smiled widely.

 

“There's my grandson, grandson-in-law, and great-grandson! Come on in.” she ushered them inside the house. Baekhyun handed over the gift basket while Taehyung and Daehyun made their way to the living room. The living room had plenty of loveseats in front of a large screen TV. On top of the TV there were pictures of Baekhyun's mom.

 

Next to the TV there was a glass cabinet. Inside the glass cabinet, there were various fancy looking wine glasses. On top of the glass cabinet were pictures. Taehyung walked over to get a better look at the picture. There was one of his great-grandma and great-grandpa but what intrigued him the most was the picture of his mother and father on their wedding day. They both looked so handsome in their tuxedos and were gazing into each others' eyes as if they were the only people in the galaxy. Next to it was a baby picture of Taehyung. He must have been hours old when the picture was taken. Taehyung felt himself turn red. His great-grandma can't just leave pictures like that lying around the house.

 

“I'll never fail to wonder how you two manage to have such a happy child.” Grandma said. She, Baekhyun, and Daehyun were hanging back in the living room watching Taehyung look at pictures.

 

Baekhyun and Daehyun looked at each other and then back to Taehyung. “You're right. How did we manage to have such a happy child?” Baekhyun asked looking at Taehyung.

 

“Kkaebsong.” Daehyun replied with a sigh.

 

“Hey! You're not allowed to say that! Only EXO can. Don't try to use my words against me.” Baekhyun lightly slapped Daehyun's arm.

 

“Speaking of which, you have yet to formally greet me Daehyun. Baekhyun and Taehyung don't have to considering I used to change their diapers when they were young but you are not exempt from this rule. It is very rude of you.” Grandma leaned down and removed her slipper. She hit Daehyun on the same spot as Baekhyun.

 

Daehyun rubbed his arm. He knew there was no point in complaining. Grandma would probably hit him again or tell him it was nothing. He bowed down formally, going completely on the floor. “It's nice to see you again Grandmother. How has your health been?”

 

“Good.” Daehyun picked himself up. Grandma continued speaking. “Now come on in, I've made some breakfast for you.”

 

“Breakfast Grandma?” Baekhyun said. If he had known he wouldn't have bought breakfast for everyone. His Grandma never cooked anything that wasn't dessert. At least Daehyun with his bottomless stomach would be happy. Baekhyun glanced over and Daehyun was smiling widely.

 

“Do you want to skip right ahead to lunch?” Grandma asked, genuine concern on her face.

“No, breakfast is fine.” Daehyun responded eagerly.

 

“Taehyungie, come eat breakfast.” Grandma called out to Taehyung.

The family all sat around the table eating the pancakes that Grandma had made. As soon as they sat down Baekhyun began talking. “Did you know that in the car I almost had a heart attack? I almost thought your great-grandson was going to give you great-great grand babies.”

 

Grandma peered at Taehyung who was seated directly in front of her. “Really Taehyungie? I thought we still had seven or eight years before Taekwon was born. Did you meet the right girl already? Or the right guy?” Grandma's eyes lit up and her expression perked up. “Is it Suga?”

 

Baekhyun put down his fork. “Thank you! See, someone agrees with me. Suga is the way to go.”

 

“Great-grandma me and Suga aren't like that. I'm single right now. There just some mis-communication between Mom and me.”

 

“Am I the only one who likes J-Hope?” Daehyun muttered to himself.

 

“And Taehyungie, what about those names? Taekwon and Taegeuk? You really are your parent's son.” Grandma sighed.


“What's that suppose to mean?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Baekkie, your name is Baekhyun, your husband's name is Daehyun, you named your son Taehyung. Do you see a pattern anywhere?”

 

“Those were all coincidences. Me and Daehyun both happened to like the name Taehyung.” Baekhyun said pointing his finger back and forth between him and Daehyun who sat next to him. “It's not like I knew what Daehyun's name was when I met him for the first time. We weren't wearing name tags.”

 

“Oh I know, Baekkie. The whole family knows. You brought a guy you only knew for three hours back to your apartment and then he never left. I'm sure everyone in Exo and Mato knows.” Grandma said calmly as if this was nothing.

 

Taehyung began to choke on his pancakes. How many times was he going to have to choke throughout the day? “You did what? I thought you met a club, danced with each other, and then exchanged addresses. I thought Dad wrote you a letter Mom! I even put it in the lyrics of my song!”

 

“Your father wrote me plenty of letters. You know how inter-galaxy phone calls aren't always in the best of shape. It's just that he didn't win me over with a letter or sweet words. He won me over with something more physical. I can't believe I'm having this conversation with my son.” Baekhyun stared down at his plate.

 

“I can't believe I'm hearing my mom have this conversation with me.” Taehyung suddenly didn't feel so hungry anymore. Not for today and not for the rest of his life.

 

“I can't believe pancakes can be this good.” Daehyun leaned across the table and put more pancakes on his plate. Baekhyun glared at him.

 

“It's good that you're getting this out now instead of later. It could have been even more awkward if you revealed this later. What matters now is that Taehyungie knows the truth and now you guys are free to be better parents.” Grandma responded.

 

Baekhyun snorted. “Tell that to Daehyun. Mr. We-Have-The-Same-Nose but I'm going to ignore you for the rest of the interview.”

 

“I answered his question! What more did you expect?”

 

“You could have had a bit more conversation with him! Did you see me? We even had a joke thing going on!” Baekhyun replied.


Daehyun turned and stared at Taehyung. “Taehyungie, you know that your Dad loves you right?”

 

Taehyung nodded. “Of course, I do. It didn't bother me dad.” Daehyun smiled at his son.

 

After breakfast was over, Grandma called Taehyung over to see pictures in the living room while his parents did the dishes.

 

“We did good didn't we? He is a really happy kid.” Daehyun said as he and Baekhyun watched Taehyung look over the old photographs with his great-grandma.

 

“We did. He had an amazing dad to raise him.” Baekhyun said.

 

Daehyun's cheeks reddened. “I would say his mom was also a pretty big factor.” Daehyun kissed Baekhyun on the lips gently. The two exchanged a few gentle kisses with each other before they broke apart and Daehyun wrapped an arm around Baekhyun and leaned him into his chest. “I still don't understand why he's so happy and how he never gets angry.”

 

“He is pretty 4D. And he does AB for his blood type. Do you think us leaving him alone for two years did this to him?” Baekhyun asked looking at Daehyun. No matter how many times they told him it was OK, Baekhyun still felt that the moving to Earth and becoming idols and being apart was his fault. He was the first one to crash and instead of re-building the spaceship he stayed. He was separated from his husband and son, and the pain was still raw even with the two of them in front of him.

 

“No, Taehyung is a fighter, he's a trooper. He grew up well and it was hard but the didn't let what he went through break him. If anything, I think it made him stronger.”

 

“You're right.” Baekhyun sighed. “Let's go see what they're doing and make sure Grandma isn't showing him my baby pictures. Or my mom's baby pictures. Taehyungie doesn't need to see his Grandma's baby pictures.”