The journey there

Off To Grandmother's House We Go

Taehyung breathed in the fresh air of Seoul at six-thirty in the morning. He along with his parents would be going to his great-grandma's house in Yanggu County. Taehyung was excited, he loved his great-grandma and since moving to Earth he hadn't had the chance to visit her house.

 

Of course, he would be going with his parents, their first family vacation since his Mom landed in Earth. Road trips with his parents were always an adventure. His Dad had commented on the fact that he was sure if anyone else saw it, the family would be called into questioning. His Mom had a particular like for talking really loud, almost in an effort to match his volume to the speed of the car.

 

Taehyung looked over at his parents finishing up the last tasks before they started the drive. His Dad was holding the trunk of the car open while Baekhyun put in the gift basket they had purchased for Great-grandma. They were in an alley near Bangtan's dorm, the members had all woken up early as well to greet their sunbaenims. Jin even offered to make breakfast but Taehyung quickly shot that idea. He didn't want to spend breakfast with his Dad rolling on the floor laughing while his Mom tried to impale J-Hope with a chopstick.

 

Taehyung heard the trunk close with a loud thud. “Taehyungie, are you ready? Let's get this road trip started!” His Dad called out walking towards the driver's seat. His Mom followed in the passenger seat and Taehyung got in the back.

 

“Here is breakfast.” Baekhyun reached out to a plastic bag in front of him and began to hand out cans of coffee and fish bread for everyone.

 

“It feels so weird seeing you in your Mom mode again. Do you want to sing Miracles in December real quick? Just to say goodbye to the idol Baekhyun.” Daehyun said opening his can of coffee.


“How can I be in Mom mode again? Being a Mom is something that I can turn off. I have a son, I'm a Mom.”

 

“This is the kind of attitude that caused us to stop dating.” Daehyun tsked.

 

Taehyung loved his parents but sometimes they could be well, parents.

 

“Of course we're not dating anymore. We're married!” Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “We've been married for eighteen years and eight months.”

 

Taehyung choked on his coffee. He knew his parents were married but he never knew how long. If they had been married for eighteen years and eight months that meant that-

 

“Taehyungie! Don't you dare do the math. You will be grounded.” His Dad began to say.

 

“Exactly! I don't care how much you like numbers, you can't solve this math problem. Here I picked up a Sudoku book for you. Just pretend you never heard any of this.” His Mom reached into the bag and tossed a Sudoku book at him.

 

“Thank you Mom. I'll save to this to do when I'm bored at the dorm.

 

“No problem. Just to make sure you break up with J-Hope.” Baekhyun said.

 

Daehyun began to laugh and started up the car. “For the next hour and thirty-five minutes I think we've found our conversation topic.” he began to drive.

“Mom, me and J-Hope aren't dating.” Taehyung said.

 

“So is he just using you for ?” Baekhyun whipped his head around so fast, Taehyung wondered how his mom's neck didn't snap in half.

 

His father came to a red light and pressed on the brake with such a force Taehyung felt himself lurch forward. “Taehyungie, are you ually active? You're too young. I'm not old enough to be a grandpa in human years nor in Mato years!”

 

“You're only suppose to have kids seven years from now! Taehyung!” Baekhyun said his voice getting progressively higher and higher.


“I'm not having with anyone.” Taehyung shouted right as the light turned green.

 

“Oh.” His mother and father said at the same time. Daehyun began to drive again.

 

“That's good. I still don't want you near J-Hope. Do you know he once said with pride that he was famous in the Gwangju underground dance scene? Taehyung, your mother is one of the guardians of Exo and your father is one of the most respected military officers in Mato. You need to marry someone of a higher class. I like Suga. Marry Suga.”

 

“You like Suga?” Daehyun asked.

 

“Not like that.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “I can't leave you. Who else will be able to handle my loudness when I sleep? I like Suga in the sense that I wouldn't mind having him as a son-in-law.”

 

“Mom, I don't see Suga that way and he doesn't see me like that either. I don't think we'll ever see each other like that. You're going to have to live without Suga as your son-in-law.”

 

Baekhyun pouted. “Why doesn't he like you? You come from a good family, your parents are respectable members of society both on Earth and on other planets. You're handsome. If we take a look at your family genetics, it's obvious that everyone in your family is attractive. Me and your father make good money. You make good money. What's not to love?”

 

“Leave Taehyungie alone, hyung. If he and Suga are meant to be, they'll be together. I didn't think I would ever even talk to you, much less get married and have a son with you.” Daehyun sighed.

 

Baekhyun snapped. “That's true. When I went to the club that night with Chanyeol and Jongin I never would have thought I would end up meeting your father. I was just looking for some attractive guy to dance with while Chanyeol tried to bang Jongin and Jongin banged Chanyeol's sister. Then your father came along. The same can happen with you and Suga. And J-Hope, I guess, can find some nice Jeolla satoori girl or boy to get married with.. Just make sure you and Suga's children don't marry J-Hope's children. Can you imagine him being the father to my granddaughter or grandson-in-law?”

 

“Mom, are you allowed to say all those things about Uncle Jongin and Uncle Chanyeol?” Taehyung asked. His mother wasn't the best at knowing when to be quiet but this affected more than just him.

 

“Why? Everyone knows that Jongin doesn't want to have with Chanyeol. Did you watch Showtime? Chanyeol is letting his desperation grow while Jongin sits in the back and laughs.” Baekhyun said.

 

“It's like how your Uncle Himchan used to make bets on how he would be able to get a girl's phone number when we went out somewhere but the girl would always end up giving it to Jongup who spent the whole night dancing in a corner by himself. Some people don't have any luck.”

 

Taehyung checked his watch. They didn't have much longer before he reached his Great-grandma's house. He loved his parents, he really did, but it seemed like they were desperate to make up for lost time. They were becoming extra-cheesy parents. It was a good thing Taehyung liked being an extra-cheesy son.

 

“Going to Great-grandma's house reminds me of the last Goddess Celebration we spent in Exo.” Taheyung said. The Goddess Celebration in Exo was the equivalent of Christmas. Taehyung will never forget the first Christmas he spent on Earth. The whole holiday just felt weird, as if it were a permanent lump stuck in his throat.

 

“It was at her house. Your grandfather decided it would be a good idea to use matching sweaters to take a family photo.” Baekhyun began to laugh reminiscing about the past.

 

“And your mother of course, spent the whole night complaining until your father had enough and we took a family picture in regular clothes.” Daehyun continued.

 

“I also remember all the military celebrations we went to back in Mato. Dad's so cool-looking when he wears his military uniform.” Taehyung said.

 

“Mmm, I remember. I love a man in uniform.” Baekhyun said with a sly smile towards to Daehyun.

 

“You made that pretty clear at the nightclub when I told you what I did for a living the first time.” Daehyun whisepered to Baekhyun, the tips of his cheeks becoming red.

 

Baekhyun smirked and blew a kiss to Daehyun. He looked out the window. “Wow! We're almost to Grandma's house. She said she was getting things ready for us. I hope we didn't cause her any trouble.”

 

Taehyung felt his phone vibrate and saw a text message from his uncle. “Why did Uncle Yixing text me saying to let Mom know he is very angry with him. With a frowny face.”

 

“Oh my God.” Baekhyun said with a sigh. His phone also vibrated. He took it out and read the text message. “I don't even know why he's obsessed with my Grandma's house. You don't see me wanting to go to Changsha and visit his Grandma's house. And if I remember clearly back when his grandparents lived in Exo, his grandma made the best breakfasts ever.”

 

“Yeah but your Grandma makes really good dessert. Her cheesecakes are the best.” Daehyun said.

 

The car came to a stop in front of a quaint countryside home. There was no denying it now. They were deep in the mountain countryside. They also were at Grandma's house.