III

Read Yourself To Me

We would meet up for lunch everyday, but my friends would always tag along to understand why this girl in particular made me curious. 

"Isn't it obvious?" Baekhyun once said. "She hasn't told him once that she likes him, or his hair, or his abs, or his face, or-"

"That's enough," Chanyeol chuckled. We all walked in to the bagel café and joined Eunbi, reading, at our usual table. I'd finally convinced her to get a reading tablet because the books she read were too heavy to lug around campus. What I found interesting was that she studied religion, but she read so many SciFi novels. I asked her about it and she laughed. 

"Being religious doesn't mean I lack imagination."

"How exactly did you decide to study Religion and Culture?"  Baekhyun asked.

"My dad's an American missionary," she proudly told us. "I'm not as confident as he was to go to another country and preach, though." 

Just like that, a spell was cast over all of my friends. I'd already been cast under it, of course. Everyone grew curious of her daily life and eventually Baekhyun and Kyungsoo joined the choir at the church she gave monthly children's sermons in. Hana was now officially Kyungsoo's girlfriend and came to church to hear him sing. Meanwhile, I was itching to make Eunbi my first real college girlfriend. We hadn't gone on a date alone, but I was finally ready. I wanted to take her somewhere romantic for dinner and make her swoon as much as possible. 

It's funny how much confidence I had around Eunbi when I had nothing figured out about her. It's especially ironic because I had none of that confidence previously with girls that I understood inside and out. 

I managed to score a date with her after a day's worth of annoying texts begging her to go somewhere with me. When she said yes, I called her. 

"Why'd it take you so long to say yes?" I jokingly said with a sad tone. 

"I have to admit...  You're the first guy to ask me on a regular date... So I'm nervous," she mumbled. "Especially since you're the king of dating." 

"You're judging me!" I scoffed. 

 "No, I'm not. I'm judging myself. Sorry if I'm not good enough," she whined. "Silence in 3-"

"2."

Silence. Silence that allowed me to bask in shock and self glory.

She wouldn't talk to me or meet me because she was embarrassed. She agreed to hold full conversations over text, though, and I sent her every last detail about the date without revealing where we were going. A few evenings later, I had Chanyeol let me borrow his car and I picked her up at her dorm. I pulled up as close as possible to the dorm building and trotted down the steps. I looked pretty handsome, I think. I wasn't decked out in full suit attire, but I did have the basics. And then she came out. 

No. Not my girl. I won't allow it. But I can't stop my eyes from indulging. 

Strapless little black dress with pink plates on the waist.  5 inch pumps. Make up? She never wore it, but she did tonight. Smoky-black eye make-up. Her hair was full with thick curls and fell across her bare shoulders. She grabbed her clutch in both hands and bit her lip. 

"Too much?" She asked nervously. I shook my head and smiled. 

"You look great," I complimented. 

Too great. I didn't want anyone else seeing her like this.  Fortunately, my dress jacket was in the back of the car-- just in case I'd need to cover her up. 

We drove for a little over 20 minutes. She kept pressing me, trying to find out where we were going, and I naturally in response. She gave up and sighed. 

"I'm still... Nervous," she shyly admitted. She played with her hands and I watched her sink in her seat. 

"Shin Eunbi," I cooed.  "Can I hold your hand?" She shakily put her left hand in my right one. "Don't be nervous. What happened to the girl who asked me on a date?"

"She dared herself to overcome her fear, just like she's doing now," she laughed. I  rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb.  So that's why she looked so nervous.  

"Fine. What if I promise to stop trying to figure you out?  Will you stop being nervous?" 

"No, don't," she pleaded, tightening her grip on my hand. She blushed and let go of it all together. "You'll get bored with me." 

I grabbed her hand and pushed my fingers between hers before clasping her hand in a tight hold. 

"You confuse me," I admitted. 

"It's the general effect I give people," she quipped.  "Jongin, let go of my hand. I have clammy hands and you'll be grossed out by the time we get there." 

"But we're already here," I confirmed. After I parked, I turned to see Eunbi's reaction. 

Priceless. 

Her free hand was covering and her eyes were about to pop out of her head. 

"No, too expensive. I don't deserve it," she softly argued as I tugged her inside. I brought my jacket in with us, just in case there were other guys around looking at her when we got up to dance. I told the waiter about our reservations and he led us to a small, secluded room for two people that was built over a pond. 

Where'd I take her? Only the classiest Jazz restaurant ever.  I knew she would love it; she loved music in general. I couldn't help but ask her how she felt. 

"Are you happy?" I nonchalantly asked while glancing over the menu. 

"Y...Yes," she stuttered. I smirked. 

"Are you nervous?" I asked with a lower tone. 

"How dare you try to be y at a time like this," she jokingly scoffed. The waiter came to take our drink order and handed us complimentary water glasses. Eunbi gulped hers down immediately. 

"Is it starting to work?" I teased while trying to seductively spin my straw in the water.  She grabbed a piece of ice out if her empty glass. 

"Nope," she hummed while smoothly sliding the ice over her lips and into .  It was a bluff, but... 

Damn. 

We were both flustered beyond belief and decided to pick out what we wanted to eat. The waiter shortly came back with our drinks and took our order. 

"Er... It's going to be around 20 minutes until the food comes out. How about we dance?"

"If you don't mind two left feet," she forced a laugh. "But honestly... I dance like a middle schooler.  Awkward." 

"I'll change that," I assured. I was sure that I would, too.  Dancing was one of the areas of study I excelled in.  We walked to the dance floor. She kept a grip on my sleeve like a little kid. It was sweet-- the way she did it. I pulled her in front of me and put my hands on her waist. "Arms around my neck," I quietly ordered. She hesitated but ultimately followed instructions. "Eyes on me."

She looked at my chest. 

"Eyes on my eyes, silly." She shyly took a peak at my face and squirmed. Unexpectedly, she pulled me closer and rested her chin on my shoulder. 

"This is better. It's a hug in motion," she sighed. I laughed and wrapped my arms around her.  I placed my lips close to her right ear and began to whisper. 

"I know you won't care about what I have to say, but I'm saying it anyways. Eunbi, you're beautiful. Not just tonight. All the time; inside and out." I watched as goosebumps formed on her back. I quietly chuckled and reached up to smooth them down. 

"Th-thank you... Very much," she responded, and that was all I needed. "Jongin, you, too." 

I was on a high. I wanted to kiss her so badly... On her shoulders, her neck, her ears, her cheeks, her forehead and especially her lips. I couldn't do it, though. It seemed too typical, and the last thing I wanted was for my relationship with this amazing woman to be typical.  She pulled back and ever so softly placed a kiss on my cheek. 

"That's not fair," I complained with a whisper. I physically could not make myself kiss her.  I wanted her to initiate it... It turns out that I was just as nervous as she was. 

"Haven't had my first kiss yet, either," she laughed. How could she be laughing at a time like this? I was dying to crash my lips onto hers.  I squeezed her harder. 

"Stop teasing me," I demanded rather pathetically. She pulled back and pouted. 

"No, honestly," she affirmed. It was innocent. It was sinful. Her eyes were beckoning to me, while at the same time intimidating me. She didn't know. She didn't know how it felt to be in a passionate embrace, and I was the guy that had to show her how it was done? I finally understood what the manager at Barnes and Noble had told me. 

She's anyone's type and no one's type. So alluring, yet too intimidating. 

I threw my pride away.