VI

Read Yourself To Me

Three and a half years later, I had a job and Eunbi was graduating.  My status as a player decreased dramatically after my first eight months of dating Eunbi, and by the time of her graduation it had absolutely diminished.  Her father and my mother took all of us-- including our friends and their families-- out to lunch at an expensive, antique little restaurant and tea parlor.  Everyone except Eunbi really knew what was going on.

"That's weird; we're the only ones here," Eunbi pointed out.  I smiled and nodded like I thought it was weird, too.  "Oh well.  There's about fifty of us here now."  She clapped her hands and chose to sit at a table overlooking a small grass field and the river.  "Jongin," she whispered, "let's sit here.  It reminds me of our first date."  I chuckled in absolute delight and joined her.  She had no idea how precious this day was or how precious that comment was.  I looked over at everyone and saw my friends giving me thumbs-ups from across the room.  Chanyeol was wearing his creeper smile.  Kyungsoo and Joonmyun both had caring smiles.  Baekhyun and Sehun were being dorks and making kissing faces, laughing, and giving me thumbs-ups again.  

After we placed our order, I took her outside to look at the river while convincing her that I needed to feel the sunlight.  There was a bench underneath a gigantic old tree, and I sat her down.  

"Eunbi, I have to talk to you," I said, trying to sound sad.  She grabbed my hand and tilted her head.

"What's wrong?"  She asked, worried. 

Gotcha.

I leaned over and stared into her eyes.  She'd almost grown out of her habit of looking away, and this time she managed to stare back because she thought I was upset about something.  

"I'm tired of you teasing me," I whispered.  She pinched her eyebrows together.  "Eunbi, do you know how much I love you?"  

"Yes, I'm pretty sure I do," she said, confused.  

"I've loved you enough to wait for you, and I love you enough to commit to you, so can we stop the teasing?"  

"What?"  She asked.  She didn't get it.

That feeling of wanting to kiss her just like I did on our first date came back to me.  I couldn't; not yet.  

I pulled a velvet box out of my pocket and got on one knee.  I opened the box and she clasped her hands over .  Her eyes were marbles, and tears were ready to roll out of them in a matter of seconds.  

"Will you marry me?"  I asked, almost yelling.  I was excited.  I was enthusiastic.  She screamed "yes!" and I almost scooped her up to kiss her right then and there.  I shakily stood up and placed the ring on her finger.  She looked at me with the biggest smile I'd ever seen, and my mind was gone.  I snapped the box closed and threw it who knows where.  I kissed the finger the ring was on, let go of her hand, lifted her up and kissed her.  We spun in circles while kissing each other, and loud cheers could be heard from the restaurant.  They'd opened the windows and were yelling words of encouragement and congratulations.  That was the happiest day of my life.

I take it back.

All the days of my life with Eunbi since I proposed to her have been the happiest days of my life. Our wedding.  Our honeymoon.  Our apartment finding.  Our baby boy...  It's all been thrown into a hodgepodge of happiness.  Whether or not she'll meet the same fate as her mother, I don't know...  But we won't worry about it.  Life is too short and too filled with sweet things to try and figure out the bad things.  

 

A/N: Yay, we have met the end of our story!  This story makes me happy inside; I wrote it when Exo debuted but kept it to myself because I wasn't sure if anyone else would appreciate it.  I hope you do!  More stories to come!

 

Hwaiting!!! <3

~exoticelfinspirit~