A Fateful Encounter

My Bean Called Lee Hongbin

"Kang Min Kyung, you are free to go!" the doctor said as she helped the fragile girl in crutches to stand up from her chair.

"Ah, thank you Doctor! I don't know what I would have done without you for the past few weeks!" Kang Min Kyung said gratefully as she gave an awkward bow. She still wasn't used to her crutches yet. The doctor smiled and nodded as she walked over to open the door so Minkyung could hobble out. Even though her therapy to regain some of her walkng skills were done, she still was instructed to use crutches for the time being so she wouldn't put any unwanted pressure on the injured leg as to make it heal faster.

"Not a problem. I only did what I had to do for your therapy after that car crash. It was a good thing you woke up after a few hours; you're very lucky not to have any permanent damage to your body, let alone a concusion." She said as she walked down the hallway. Minkyung nodded very thankfully.

After doing a few more paperwork and signing things, Minkyung was finally discharged forever from her weekly therapy sessions at the hospital and was free to go home.

 

"Aish, that girl. Why does she always turn her phone off?" Minkyung grumbled as she hung up the payphone at the nearby park without bothering to leave a voicemail. Her sister, Kang Hae Ri was supposed to pick her up from the hospital hours ago, but as usual, her sister was running late. With a heavy sigh, Minkyung fumbled with her crutches as she exited the phone booth. Maybe thats why she stumbled into a tall, handsome young man who was strolling down the sidewalk nearby.

"Oh!" Minkyung exclaimed in surprise as she felt herself fall sideways. Just as she squeezed her eyes tightly shut, she felt someone hold her arm firmly to keep her rom falling down. Opening her eyes in surprise, she then looked up, coming face to face with two very worried dark brown eyes.

"Are you okay? Oh no, I hope you're not hurt anywhere! Are you ok?!" he said in a semi-deep voice that was thick with worry. Minkyung could only blink as she still processed what had just happened and why was she so close to a stranger. A very good looking stranger as a matter of fact... Clearing her thought, she then straightened up, slightly pulling herself away from the mans reassuring grip.

"Ahhhh... I'm alright. I'm so sorry about that, I wasn't watching where I was walking..." She said as she sheepishly brushed away the strands of brown hair that covered her face. The man shook his head from side to side quickly.

"No, no, no, I should have watched where I was going... I'm sorry." He said again as he scratched the back of his head in embarassement.

Minkyung looked down at her own legs that felt wobbly and unstable. Who knew they could be so frustrating.

"Ahh... Your crutches." the man said as he bent down to go and retrieve them and handed them back to her.

Minkyung muttered a shy 'thank you' as she took them back.

"Let's go sit over there for a while so I an check if you're hurt or not. I don't want you to be returning home with another injury..." he said as he looked at her bandaged wrists and ankles worriedly. Minkyung shook her head.

"Its ok, I don't feel hurt anywhere..." she said, immediately feeling the need to take back her words as she felt a slight throb of pain from her knees as they had twisted a bit awkwardly after falling. The man saw her hesitation and sighed.

"Here, I'll sit with you until you are sure you can walk again." he said pointing to a nearby bench. Minkyung nodded and began to hobble to the bench. The man gently helped her walk as he held onto her elbow carefully.

After sitting, Minkyung let out a small sigh and looked around. The park was fairly empty and the air was beginning to aquire the small chill of the coming winter.

"Ah, so in case you want to sue me for any injury, my name is Lee Hongbin." Hongbin joked lightly as he scratched the back of his head. Minkyung smiled.

"My name in Kang Minkyung. Nice to meet you. And don't worry, I have nothing to sue you about.".

Hongbin smiled and looked ahead, unsure of what to say next. Minkyung didn't mind the silence. In fact, it almost seemed comfortable to her as she wasn't really the type to keep up with small talks either, let alone talkative enough to keep them going.

Minkyung's eye's began to wander back to Hongbin, who was looking in the opposite direction. He seemed like a guy who was close to her age at 23, or perhaps maybe a year older. He wore a gray long sleeved shirt with another darker gray collared shirt underneath with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His black jeans made his already tall stature even taller. An expensive looking black camera was hanging from his neck. Hongbin suddenly turned his head, catching Minkyung staring at him. With a blush, Minkyung quickly turned her head away, pretending that the passing cars on the road ahead had caught her attention instead. Hongbin smiled lightly and looked ahead also.

"S-so, what are you doing at the park?" Minkyung asked tentatively, and Hongbin grinned and held up his camera.

"I was taking pictures of the scenery." he said, and Minkyung blinked.

"Ah! So you're into photography? That's cool."

Hongbin nodded and his camera.

"Would you like yo see the pictures?"

Minkyung nodded eagerly and Hongbin handed her his camera and Minkyung smiled appreciatively at the professional looking photos.

"Wow. These are really pretty! What kind of camera is this?" she asked in awe as she handed him back his camera.

"A Nikon DSLR." Hongbin said proudly as he slung the camera back around his neck.

"So if I may ask, what were you doing at the park? I'm sure you weren't doing any jogging, were you?" he joked again, and Minkyung shook her head, smiling at his attempt to make her laugh.

"No, I actually came here to use the payphone. My sister was supposed to pick me up from the hospital, but it seems like she is running late..." Minkyung trailed off in worry, realizing she had no extra spare change to make another call. Hongbin seemed to sense her worry as he rummaged through his pocket and pulled out a phone.

"Here, you can use mine to call her if you want." He said as he handed it to her. Minkyung quickly thanked him before dialing Haeri's number. Thankfully, instead of going straight to her voicemail, it rang.

"Hello?"

"Ah! Haeri! Its me, Minkyung!" Minkyung exclaimed in relief. She could hear her sister give a sigh of relief as well from the other side of the line.

"Ah! I am so sorry! The meeting I was in ran a bit late. I am leaving work now. Where are you?"

"I am at the nearby park. You can just stop yout car at the entrance and I will meet you there."

"Alright. I will be there in about 10 minutes."

There was a slight pause as Minkyung heard her sister start up the car engine from the other end of the line.

"Ok. See you soon. Drive safely." Minkyung said before hanging up. Relief flooded through her as she turned around and handed back his phone.

"Everything is ok?" He asked, and Minkyung nodded with a relieved smile. Hongbin smiled with her, showing off his cute dimples.

Minkyung stood up carefully from the bench and collected her crutches that were lying against the back of the bench. Minkyung clumsily turned around to face him and gave a small bow.

"Thank you for staying with me. Sorry for bumping into you."

Hongbin gave a small chuckle and shook his head.

"Nooo.. It's my fault, I should have paid more attention to where I was walking instead of taking pictures." he said guiltily as he stood up.

"Oh. And by the way, here, take this in case you decide to sue me for injuring you after all. Take care!" He said shyly as he slipped a small paper napkin into the pocket of her coat. Smiling, he then gave a small bow and continued his walk down the long pathway.

Minkyung stared after him in wonder. After he dissapeared, she then slipped her hand into her pocket and pulled out the neatly folded napkin which had a few neat words and a number written in black ink.

"Sorry about today. Call me if you would like to have some coffee after discussing a day to meet in court :P" - Lee Hongbin

 

With a smirk, Minkyung folded the napkin back into her pocket and shook her head. Who knew having these crutches could lead to such a good thing?

 

 

 

Hopefully you guys enjoyed this first chapter! Please look forward to the next one!

Here is a Hongbin for you ^^