Like Strangers.

Noona, Can You Call Me Oppa?

Jonghyun’s POV:

I dropped onto the couch and quickly shutted my eyes as I entered my own house with mom bragging on and on behind me.

Jonghyun, you’re getting married soon. You have to pick up after yourself!” she continued giving me lectures as she put my shoes away.

I rolled my eyes at her and plugged my earphones into my ears and listened to music.

Jonghyun dear, aren’t you excited that you’re getting married soon. And she’s rich too!” Mom exclaimed.

Mom, can you not talk about her around me. I’m really sick of it” I told her, hoping that she will shut up.

I was never close to my mom and she barely cared for me when I was a kid. She left with me with alcoholic father when they divorced and went to another family and cared for the kids there. It was only until I debut into SHINee, when she came running back to me.

“Oh honey, I am just caring for you. That girl, Krystal, is going to be your wife soon. Cheer up!” she said in her fake motherly tone.

Caring for me? When I needed you to care for me 15 years ago, where were you? Caring for me, what a load of nonsense” I told her as anger boiled in my blood about my past memories.

Jonghyun look, I’m trying my very best to make it up to you alright. I didn’t mean to –“

I don’t care. I’m going to my room.” I cutted her off before she could continue rambling.

I’m only home for one day, why can’t she just leave me alone, I thought to myself.

As I was about to close the door behind me, umma yelled out to me,

Oh Jonghyun-ah, we’re going over to the in-laws for dinner tonight. Apparently they want me to meet the rest of their family. Remember to wear something decent!”

I groaned and quickly panicked as I realize that I would have to face Jessica tonight. What do I do now?

 

Sooyoung’s POV:

Key and I were scheduled to be on Star Golden Bell today together. I could not sit still as Key said he would come over to pick me up himself. I was full of excitement.

Sooyoung-ah! Sit still so I can fix your hair” Tiffany yelled at me.

Mianhe”

That’s right, it was just not Key and I, although I wished it really was. But today in one line on the show will be Onew oppa, Fany, Key and I.

Sooyoung! Stop daydreaming, they’re here already.” Fany yelled once more as she rushed towards the door.

As we both got out I was greeted by my oh so handsome boyfriend, Key.

My baby girl, how are you today~” Key sang as I walked towards him.

I laughed shyly and pulled him into a hug.

Oppa, I’ve missed you” I whispered as I rested my forehead on his shoulder.

Sooyoung-ah I’ve missed you too” Key told me as a smile crept onto my face.

Yah, love birds! We’re going to be late because of you!” Onew oppa yelled at us, obviously feeling irritated.

I smiled and got into the car with Key next to me. Once we reached the broadcasting studio, Key was greeted by KARA’s Nicole. She smiled brightly at him as she hugged him tightly. I took in every aspect of her, she was pretty. Very pretty. And I couldn’t help but envy her great looks and her close bond with Key. Key hesitated at her affection and began to withdraw from her embrace and came back by my side. He held onto my hand as he pulled me towards Nicole,

Nicole, meet my girlfriendSooyoung.” Key told her.

I gave her my brightest smile and extended out my arm to shake her hand as if I was an American. After what seems like the most awkward moment of my life, I took back my hand as I realized that she will not shake my hand.

I looked at Key with questioning eyes then back at Nicole who was just glaring at me with darkness glooming all over her face. Did I say something that might’ve offended her?

 

Jessica’s POV:

After a few hours of talking, my Big Bang brothers were called to leave for a schedule. They promised me that they will visit me again next week and I seriously cannot wait for that day to happen. I decided to head home to see if there’s anything to do and if extreme boredom suddenly strikes me; I will literally help the maids out at the back in the garden.

As the taxi man dropped me off in front of my mansion, I walked into the house without knocking. Once I was inside, I was surprised at the sudden make over in the house. It looked completely… different. And I was not even used to it.

Where’s mom and dad?” I asked one of passing maids.

Mr. and Mrs is in their room, little miss.” She said and bowed as she left with the new, delicate vase in her hands.

I was about to head upstairs to look for mommy and daddy but was stopped when Krystal came down with mom and dad both by her side, supporting her.

Ugh! I’m not a kid anymore; I don’t need your help.” Krystal yelled at them furiously.

How can she yell at mom and dad like that? That girl seriously needs a beating.

Krystal pumpkin, you’re not a kid anymore. But there’s a kid inside you” Dad soothingly told her.

Mommy, Daddy and… Krystal! I’m home” I excitedly exclaimed, hoping to catch their attention.

Sooyeon-ah, we’re busy.” Umma told me without looking at me.

Unnie! Umma, Appa! Here’s your pumpkin. Why don’t you look after Sica unnie instead” Krystal said as she used me to escape from our parents.

Aish that girl!” Dad sighed and looked at me, “Sica my wonderful daughter, how have you been?”

Daddy, I’m okay. Just bored” I told him as I hugged him tightly.

What’s happening to our house” I asked them as we sat down for tea.

Oh! I just remembered! Jess, go upstairs and change. There’s a pink dress already chosen for you tonight. Jonghyun and his mother are coming over for dinner in about 40 minutes. Joseph, hurry and put your tie on! Aish, I think I’m going to go insane” Mom yelled as she ran around the house like a headless chicken.

Jonghyun and his mother are coming over tonight? I sighed as I wished I never came home today. I dragged my feet along the floor as I headed upstairs to my room to get changed. Tonight will be a long night.

After I was in my dress and curled my hair, the doorbell rang as it signaled that the Kim family was here. I let out a groan as I began my way downstairs.

Jessica, could you please open the door. Remember to greet them nicely!” Mother whispered to me as she hurriedly went back to the kitchen.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in, here goes nothing.

Welcome to the Jung family. You must be Mrs. Kim, it’s nice to finally meet you.” I bowed to her politely then looked at her. Jonghyun definitely looked like her, I thought to myself.

She bowed back and smiled brilliantly at me, “I don’t think we’ve met”

Oh! Mianhamnida. I’m Jung Sooyeon but people call me Jessica. I’m Krystal’s older sister” I told Mrs Kim.

I turned and looked at Jonghyun who in return gave me a weak smile. My heart began to ache at our sudden close proximity. I haven’t seen him since that time in the hospital,

Jonghyun-ssi. Nice to see you again” I greeted him politely as if we were strangers. I bowed to him and he bowed back,

Jessica. It’s good to see you too”

I looked away as I could feel the tears form in my eyes.

Yah Jonghyun! I told you to be polite did I not? It’s Jessica noona not just Jessica.” Mrs Kim scolded her son.

Mianhamnida Jessica… noona” Jonghyun apologized. It felt like thousands of knives had just slashed through my heart as he called me ‘noona’.

I took them to the dining table and took a seat next to dad and opposite to Jonghyun. He looked down at the plate, as he was not courageous enough to look at me. Why are we so distant now, Kim Jonghyun?

Mother-in-law! Oppa! You’re here” Krystal shouted as she ran towards Jonghyun. She leaned in and kissed him on the cheek while smirking at me.

Jonghyun, who was shocked at what had happened, looked up at me to see my reaction. I simply put on my ice princess act and looked away as if I did not see what had happened. But truth is, I really wanted to cry. Daddy cleared his throat and began to make a toast. He stood up and said,

To the Kim, welcome to the Jung family”

We all clapped as dad ended his toast by calling out the food. It was really like a feast as the foods came out one by one on the table.

Jessica-ssi, you are really beautiful. A girl like you must be married right?” Mrs Kim asked me.

I began to blush at her comment and shook my head, “Aniyo, I’m not married yet Mrs Kim.”

Oh my, well I bet you have a boyfriend then right?” she asked again. I was puzzled and lost in my words as everyone looked at me, waiting for my reply. Even Jonghyun was looking.

Neh, I do.” I said as I looked at Jonghyun’s shocked face. “And he’s coming over soon, please excuse me while I make a call to him”

As I stood up to leave the dining room, I took one last look at Jonghyun. He was looking at the chair that I was sitting on as tears were now visible in his eyes. Mianhe, Jonghyun.

I quickly took out my phone and dialed a number,

Yoboseyo?”

Jiyoung oppa! Are you free?” I asked GD

Umm, neh I guess so. Why?”

I need your help” I told him,

With what Sica?”

Just come over to my house and you’ll know why.”

I gave Jiyoung oppa my address and he told me he will be here in about five minutes as he was nearby. I sat in my room as I waited for Jiyoung oppa to come. I thought about Jonghyun and how handsome he is tonight. Jjong, I miss you.