So have you.

Secretly, Greatly... Once more.

Lee Hae Rang knew many things. 

 

He knew that the captain liked his silly handphone recordings and that he saved them under silly technical names to fool him. He knew, and that’s why he never stopped recording them for the otherwise independent and stoic best friend of his.

 

He also knew that the captain would be needing him. Not as the irritating, cynical childhood friend he usually was, but as the best friend, brother, and listening ear he seldom was. 

 

He knew it the moment he broke up the two clueless men, and multiple emotions flashed across Ryu Hwan’s face as he stood up slowly to arrange his uniform. Too slowly. Hae Rang saw Ryu Hwan’s frustration, probably at him, since he did break up their almost-snog session. Guilt - well, he wouldn’t put it past the self-righteous captain to blame himself for his uncontrollable feelings even towards the one he liked. And then hurt. Hae Rang could have dealt with the first two emotions with a little bit of his usual sarcasm and humor, but when Hae Jin had faced the captain and bowed apologetically, he knew Won Ryu Hwan would be needing some good ol’ TLC from him. 

 

“Hyung! Captain, I’m sorry. I can’t... I don’t...” 

 

“Gwenchana, Hae Jin-ah. It happens, arasou? The adrenaline of the fight...” Ryu Hwan had replied with a soft smile, as he ruffled the younger boy’s head before heading to the showers with a deliberate calmness.

 

Hae Rang had caught the flash of hurt in Ryu Hwan’s eyes. The captain had hid it so quickly with his smile, he almost missed it. Then he had also spotted Hae Jin’s clenched jaw and pained expression as his eyes followed the figure walking to the showers. Looks like not only Ryu Hwan needed some talking to. 

 

It became even clearer after today’s incident, that it wasn’t time yet. The two clueless men were heading in the right direction, but they both had a long way to go before reaching each other. 

 

Neither of them knew or understood the depth of feelings they had for each other, yet. 

 

But Hae Rang could. He knew how deep these feelings ran.

 

But first, he had a Won Ryu Hwan to save. When the incident happened, Hae Rang knew, that the stoic captain would, by default, bury the memories and never speak of it again.

 

Which was why, the two of them were currently sitting on the playground swings, and Ryu Hwan was drunk. Hae Rang had decided, the only way to make the captain let it out, was if he let his subconscious do the talking. So before heading out to the playground to meet him, Hae Rang had grabbed an additional bottle of soju, and added it into his father’s green tea brew for the boy. The distracted captain had gulped down the spiked green tea, not suspecting a thing. 

 

“I can’t? I don’t? What does that mean? He doesn’t like me? He can’t return my feelings? That’s ok. But I almost took advantage of him, Hae Ra-”

 

“You barely touched him, captain.” 

 

“I almost kissed him. Hae Rang, my mind... I cannot stop it from thinking things recently. Bad, baaaad things.” Ryu Hwan slurred, as he leaned back and fell off the back of the swing, landing on his back with a thud. 

 

“Well, it’s not so much your mind, these are matters of the heart.” 

 

“...it hurts.” 

 

“Your back?” Hae Rang looked over at the captain who was lying on his back in the sand, with his legs resting on the swing.

 

“No, idiot.” Ryu Hwan clumsily raised his left hand and pointed to his heart, “...here. It hurts. I dunno why it hurts so much... Hae Rang I think... I like him. More than I should.”

 

“You think? Now listen up, Captain. I think you need to man up and own up to what you fee-...” Hae Rang stood up to face the captain as he lectured him, but stopped mid-way when he saw Ryu Hwan’s eyelids closing. 

 

“Cheh, you’re such a lousy drinker. It was only 3 shots.” Hae Rang chided. He bent over the sleeping boy and retrieved his handphone. The captain was in no shape to head home tonight. Ryu Hwan’s parents would be needing an explanation. Hae Rang pondered for a moment, searching for a plausible excuse for the boy. Then he shrugged. He took out his own handphone and typed out a text to Ryu Hwan’s father. Well, no excuse was better than the unbelievable truth.

 

‘Uncle Won, Ryu Hwan is dead drunk and heartbroken, and he is in no shape to come home now. He’ll be staying over at my place tonight, alright? Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of him. He’ll be good as new tomorrow.’ 

 

The reply was instantaneous. 

 

‘Jin ja? Poor boy. Yes, you boys take care of each other. Don’t vomit inside your dad’s garden though, he told me the jujubes were ripening.’ 

 

Just then, Ryu Hwan’s own handphone received a message from his father. Hae Rang read the new message and couldn’t help snickering to himself. 

 

‘Ryu Hwan-ah, take care of Hae Rang and make sure he doesn’t drink too much. The jujubes in Uncle Lee’s garden are ripening, stay away from there! He said he’d share some with me, and I want them vomit-free!’

 

So much for the truth. Nobody would have believed that the sober one was him tonight. 

 

Chuckling, Hae Rang picked up his own unopened beer can, the questionable green tea flask and stuffed it in his backpack. Slinging the backpack to the front, he began to pull up the snoozing captain to carry him back to his place.

 

Comrade captain... this is the first time you’ve depended on me. 

 

--------

 

Two weeks, Hae Rang thought, as he carefully set down his guitar case in the quiet dojang. 

 

Two weeks was all Hae Rang had decided to give Hae Jin before he did anything. When the captain had woken up from his drunken night, he had calmly stated that “there isn’t anything that time can’t cure”. 

 

“He is a good friend and talented fighter, I do not want to lose this because of my own selfish intentions.” 

 

Hae Rang had snorted when he heard these words. If only you knew what you were saying the night before.

 

Two weeks, and everything had fallen back into place, almost as if the incident had never happened before. The two clueless fighters had stayed true to their discipline and still practiced diligently during their morning practices. If anything, both fighters were throwing themselves into training even more so than before. 

 

Both boys were still polite to a fault. 

 

Ryu Hwan still ruffled the younger boy’s hair after practice.

 

Hae Rang still packed Ryu Hwan’s favorite food for breakfast.

 

Both boys still discussed passionately about martial arts over breakfast. 

 

And both their gazes still lingered on each other when the other wasn’t aware. 

 

Only now, Ryu Hwan would catch himself fast enough to look away guiltily. Hae Rang, on the other hand, looked apologetic most of the time. 

 

That was also why, Hae Rang knew it was time to speak to the younger boy. 

 

Lee Hae Rang had a plan. He had reached the dojang early as usual today. And he had made sure Ryu Hwan wouldn’t be around this morning. Now he was seated in his usual spot, with his guitar next to him, waiting.

 

Hae Rang combed his fingers through his hair while looking up at the dojang ceiling, pausing for a moment, deep in thought. The things I do for the two of you... The orange-haired musician chuckled and shook his head. Grabbing his hair band from his right wrist, he began to tie his hair. Game face, on.

 

“Good morning Hyung! I made some of your favorite kimbap today, we’ve been having too much yachae kimbap recently, I’m sure the captain wouldn’t mind a change.” 

 

Hae Jin had walked into the dojang just as he started tuning his guitar. The younger boy set down his training gear and bag of food next to him as he laughed. 

 

“Finally... I was starting to think if I’d be stuck with yachae for the rest of my schooling years.”

 

Hyung, I would never!”

 

Hae Rang shot the laughing young boy a dirty look, “I know you and your captain believe in the mojojojo about routine and discipline, but a lil’ change never hurt nobody.”

 

“Ah but it’s true, hyung. Do you kno-”

 

“Aish, don’t start with me. Your captain has been breathing down my neck about this for as long as we’ve known each other. I have nightmares about them. Palli, go start your practice!” 

 

Hae Jin shot Hae Rang a sheepish smile as he looked around the dojang, “Eh? I wonder what time is hyung coming. He usually comes in around now.” 

 

Almost immediately, Hae Rang smacked his head dramatically. Ok maybe that was too much. “Aigoo... I think I might’ve have set the alarm one hour later than I should have! Hae Rang-ah, I doubt Ryu Hwan will be coming today! Miyane, I was careless.” 

 

The younger boy blinked and frowned lightly. For a moment Hae Rang thought Hae Jin would call on his bluff because of his half-assed acting skills, but right then the younger boy smiled and walked towards the centre of dojang while waving his hands to the musician.

 

“Ah Gwenchana, Hyung. I will make do alone.”

 

--------- 

 

“Maa! Damn Hae Rang, no more yachae for the next few days, arasou? This tonkatsu kimbap is amazing. Ha! Since your captain ain’t here,... don’t mind me, hyung is gonna enjoy this for him.”

 

Hae Jin looked up at his musician hyung from his tea cup, grinning. “Sure hyung, go ahead. Ryu Hwan hyung just texted me to say he wouldn’t be able to join us for breakfast as well, it’s all yours. Anyway, I heard he is going to Incheon again for the weekend?” 

 

The musician snorted, “Yes. He’s going there to find out more about Bang Dong Gu and the 5446 incident.”

 

“It’s really impressive.” 

 

Hae Rang snorted again. 

 

“I would think it takes a really well-written report to make your professor want you to continue your research, Hyung.” Hae Jin couldn’t, for the life of him, understand why Hae Rang couldn’t stop teasing the captain when he started his weekend trips to a village town in Incheon. Weeks ago over breakfast, Ryu Hwan had mentioned of his trips. While, Hae Jin himself had expressed excitement over this achievement, Hae Rang had choked on his rice and dissolved into a laughing fit. 

 

“Bang Dong Gu the spy, you say? You- (cough) Bang. Dong. Gu? Omo omo omo I can’t breathe.”  

 

“Of all things to comment about, only you would be laughing about his name.” Ryu Hwan had snapped at the guffawing musician irritably. 

 

“Hold on, captain. I wasn’t laughing about his name, stupid. But since we’re at that, I do agree with you, that it really isn’t a very smart name. Well... I sure hope you’ll find out more about our Dong Gu.”

 

Our Dong Gu?”

 

“Omo! Getting possessive, captain?”

 

“Saekki you rude son of a-” 

 

“Dong Gu-ah, I hope you give the captain a hard time in Incheon.” 

 

Ryu Hwan swiped the last oden off Hae Rang’s lunch box and finished it in one mouth, glaring at the shocked musician. 

 

“I was saving that you ing thief! Hae Jin-ah, feed me yours.” Hae Rang moved to hug him from the back. Obediently, he grabbed the oden with his chopsticks, only to be stopped by a fuming captain, who grabbed the onden and proceeded to force it down Hae Rang’s mouth. 

 

Hae Jin grinned at the musician, “More oden, hyung?”

 

“Shut up.”

 

---------

 

Hae Jin packed up the containers and gathered his equipment, preparing to leave the dojang for school. Hae Rang was singing and strumming idly next to him. He didn’t start school til another hour. 

 

Hae Jin looked over at the dojang entrance again. He knew the captain wasn’t coming, but he couldn’t stop looking. It’s not like he’s gonna come if you stare longer, stupid. He had come to rely on the captain during practices so much that now it felt funny practicing alone. After their incident two weeks ago, he had thought things would have changed. But when Ryu Hwan resumed their practice with his usual fervor, Hae Jin was beyond relieved. 

 

He had almost kissed the captain. If Hae Rang hyung hadn’t stopped them, he was sure he wouldn’t have stopped the captain either. When the captain had blamed it on their adrenaline, Hae Jin was relieved, because then he didn’t need to explain himself. 

 

Cowardly? Yes. 

 

But he was not prepared to face this side of himself. If Master Park had been alive, he might’ve been able to force him into confronting these fears while he trained him. He had barely started learning to forgive his father,... or himself. But when he had passed away, Hae Jin had buried his darkest fears alongside the only father-like figure in his life. 

 

He had mourned Master Park’s passing, but he didnt't know if he did it right. Master Park had taught him everything in his young life, as a father would have. 

 

But he did not teach him how to say goodbye. 

 

Hae Jin closed his eyes for a moment to compose himself. Not now. 

 

Grabbing his belongings, he turned to greet the orange-haired musician, “Hyung, I shall make a move first.” Hae Rang lifted his head to give a nod, as he sang through a chorus of Sung Si Kyung’s latest single. Hyung has a beautiful voice.

 

Right as he reached the dojang door, the musician reached the instrumental break of the piece. But Hae Jin wasn’t expecting it when he heard the quiet voice of Hae Rang.

 

“He’s liked you for a long long time. Even longer than he knows.”

 

He had stopped to listen to Hae Rang, but Hae Jin didn’t know how to react. Clenching his bags tightly, he went on his way, as if he didn’t hear the musician. As he got out of Hae Rang’s line of sight, he stopped to compose himself,... Only to hear the musician’s quiet voice ringing through the dojang once again.

 

“So have you.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------

 

Author's notes: Yeoroboon!!!!!! HELLO!!!!!!! It's been a week and I'm sorry this is such a late update! My internet at home has been experiencing huge problems and it's been affecting all my work including my story updates. It's slightly better now, so I managed to update this one! :D 

 

Anyway, I'm soooooo glad you guys are enjoying this story! Reading your comments make me smile :))) I love Hae Rang to death! Even though I started this fic because of the romance between Hae Jin and Ryu Hwan, I have no intention of abandoning Hae Rang's character. I love his comedic role in the movie, and I have so much fun writing him :) I'm glad you guys like my characterization of him so far! :D

 

The plot thickens... 

 

See you in the next chapter! 

 

<3

Bodhicittaseeds