Waiting

That Girl

 

It's the end of the school year. No longer a freshman. The top student of each class were posted in a bulletin board for all students to see. As expected, Himchan is one of the top students on her class. But she is not looking at their list. She is looking at the top class' list. And there she saw Yongguk's name at the very top, ranking first not just for his class, but for all the freshmen of that school.

Five months have gone and she has never interact with Yongguk after that day. All students are busy and she has never bump into him again. She kind of misses their exchange of curses and names with each other. Jieun always talks about him and he was never been out of their lives completely. But his present was not felt.

What's with him now a days. He used to be an active of my life. Does something happened to him? Himchan stares at his name and she was deep in thought that she didn't notice Hyosung behind her.

"You miss your boyfriend, too?"

Himchan was startled by Hyosung sudden appearance. It was not a secret that Himchan did miss Yongguk for the past months and asked her friends about him specially to Jieun who literally knows what's happening to him. But Himchan was just asking because she miss Jongup too. If there is no Yongguk, there is no Jongup. Those brothers always stick to each other.

Jongup and Himchan kind of become close after that unusual meeting with Daehyun. And whenever they see each other they don't need to talk much, they just give each other a greeting and the usual handshake they exchange. It always happened when she was bored or having a hard time at school. That whenever she sees Jongup he becomes her sunshine, giving her a fresh feeling and a light heart. He becomes her happy virus that even with just a smile everything around her becomes better. 

The first few weeks are okay. But then Yongguk always tag Jongup and his friends out of her friends' space. She thought he was just avoiding them. But then it started to become often until they no longer see them at the hallway at break time. 

"I heard Yongguk have a part time job in her Aunt's store. And I saw him and his brother there. It must have become their new hang out place."

"Really?"

And that's all she got from Jieun. She could asked more information but she stop herself. She might become another Jieun, stalking her crush.  She didn't asked where it was nor what kind of job he is at. Jieun might find her digging too much information about Yongguk where Jongup is her only concern. 

"It's the last day of class. I'm just checking if Yongguk is still alive till now."

"Yeah...yeah...I get it. You don't want him to know your feelings."

Himchan rolled her eyes because of the comment. "Stop it, okay?"

"I saw Daehyun the other night. You want to know what happened to him?"

Himchan darted a sneering look at her. "I am not interested in him. But if there is something then I would like to know."

Hyosung give out a big smile before she continue her story.

"I saw him with an older woman. I don't know if it's a date or what but he is totally all over her. You should see how he touch her."

"Oh, wait I don't want details. How did you find him?"

"I was out for a snack. My mother also asked me to buy her some beer when I saw Daehyun with that...girl...or lady...she really looks old."

It was a rumor among Himchan's friends that DaeHyun is really into older girls. He was always seen with high school girls around him. At first they just thought its because of his good looks. Until Himchan found out that Daehyun and Hyosung are dating. They didn't know Daehyun and Hyosung's relationship until they met at the mall. It was a hilarious situation.

Himchan was with her mom looking for bags to buy when they saw Hyosung and Daehyun at the other end of the store. Hyosung saw them too but Daehyun is busy checking something that they can only greet each other through eye contact and walk out. Himchan confronted Hyosung at school after that and she hear her confess that she was just playing with the boy. Since he is always bugging him for a date she just accept the invitation and when they go out she only think of it as them hanging out and not a date. Hyosung like Daehyun but she can't make their relationship move up to another level when she was always the one paying for the date. And she can't urge him to pitch in since he doesn't have any job.

After that Hyosung and Daehyun stay being friends with each other. No hurt feelings. Daehyun just become an ex-boyfriend in their eyes even though there are no relationship in the first place.  That's Hyosung highlight of her freshman year. While her's just...

Will her freshman year will just end like this?

 

~

 

 

Himchan was waiting at a shed to catch a bus to go home when suddenly she saw a familiar face from the other side of the road. He was wearing plain clothes, a faded jeans and a worn out shirt and noticed his hands carrying a paper bag. It was Bang Yongguk. She wasn't a bit surprised at all finding him at the other side of the road. He was always at that side waiting for a bus to go home. But today was a weekend. How come he was near the school premises?

The distance between her and Yongguk was far, she was hoping that he would not noticed her. He was wearing a round eyeglasses, like those kind that  nerds wear. He never wore one in school and she guess it was one of those fake once for fashion. He looked different with those spectacles. She almost did not recognized him. She was inspecting every detail of his clothes when suddenly he looked at her direction.

Himchan feeling guilty of checking him out pretend to look around then looked back at him. He was still staring at her direction. And she cannot avoid his eyes now. Before he recognized her, she was already got caught staring at him. He saw her staring and so he stared back. His stare is too intense that 

"KIM HIMCHAN!" Yongguk shout at her. 

Yongguk seems happy smiling wide showing his teeth at her and shouting her name. Himchan did not move for a while. Waiting for whatever Yongguk to do something. But Yongguk didn't move either. It was a long staring game between them. 

Then Himchan got the courage to talk.

"What?!" she shouted back.

Yongguk did not respond. It must be the moving cars between them.

"Where are you going?" she shout out at him again.

Yongguk narrowed his already small eyes and tried recognizing the sound she just made. There are cars passing by and their noises are blocking his hearing.

Himchan tried to repeat her question. "Where are you going? Its a weekend. Where did you go?"

Yongguk smile at her question and cover his mouth a bit with his back of his right hand. Then his face suddenly changed.

What the ?! Himchan did saw the change of facial expression and become cautious.

"What is it to you?" Yongguk shouted back. Then he crosses his arms and move his head to the side.

Rude! Himchan can only say. She diverted her eyes and look at the moving cars instead. Her bus seems late. She feels she's been there for ten minutes staring at Yongguk and there's no bus coming. Did she miss it?

"Where are you going, though," she suddenly heard someone said onto her ears. It shocks her and jump from that surprise.