Freshman Year

That Girl

Chapter 1 –Freshman Year

She’s at it again, Himchan said to herself. Her friend Jieun is waiting at the cafeteria this early morning, slowly eating her sandwich at an empty table and saving her carton of milk for later.

Himchan surveyed the entire cafeteria for familiar faces before coming in. The two-faced boy from the top class is not one of the early students in the cafeteria. So…that’s the reason her friend Jieun did not meet them at the school grounds.

“Yah! Song Jieun!” Himchan can’t control her anger. She went inside and yells at Jieun. Pointing her finger at her and pouting.

Jieun saw her and was startled. Himchan shouting her name without any shame made Jieun embarrassed and start covering her face. Damn it Himchan, today is not the time to confront me about assignment.

Himchan sprint her way to her and was disappointed when Jieun didn't even bother looking at her.

“Don’t you dare tell me you forgot our assignment because of your imaginary boyfriend or I’ll skin you alive!” Himchan said in a bit louder voice as she is already flaring up with her brows curled and nostril opening wide. Jieun only closed her eyes and breaths heavily, trying to avoid getting stressed by her classmate and best friend Himchan.

“Stop it Himchan. I can’t get stressed this morning. I still haven’t seen Bang Yongguk.”

“And you are waiting for him to appear? Bang Yongguk is not our assignment for crying out loud!” Himchan was so angry now and on the verge of mental breakdown that she cover her face with both of her hands and about to have a fit.

“Assignment?! Me?” they suddenly heard someone near them spoke. Both girls turn around and got shocked after seeing who the person is cutting in their conversation. A burly guy standing next to Himchan is a lollipop in his mouth and eyeing both of them interchangeably.

Jieun suddenly get up to her seat and wave his hand to the guy. Himchan on the other hand quickly look away and made a defeated face after recognizing the boy. Oh no!! Not him again, Himchan said to herself. How can she scold her friend if that guy is around? She will only look like a bad person to Jieun.

“Good morning Yongguk!!!” Jieun happily greet him. The guy she called Yongguk only smiles. And that’s what all Jieun is waiting, to see that gummy smile of his.

~

Himchan can only sigh as she sat on her study table and stare at her assignment. It’s already 10:25 pm and she needs to rest. But because of her practice at the Music Club finished late, her schedule messed up. She even ate dinner at school. Thanks to her mother who brought food for the group. It was nice to have a mother who loves cooking.

That day their Music Club adviser had a quick changes of their routine. Their music adviser needs the band member on check with their music before that day end. The competition is two weeks away and they haven’t completed the 5 minute routine due to constant mistake. Their adviser decided to change some songs. Almost half of the band members are newbie so there are still awkward moments between each of them. And thankfully it’s Friday. They can review their piece at home and will have a two days rest from practice.

She flipped the pages of her notebook and checks what’s to be done. She then noticed a piece of paper tucked in between. Who the hell!? She silently screams as she picked it up.

It was a paper neatly folded with a smiley drawing at the middle. She opened it carefully and thinking who among her classmates sent it. It was a letter, and with a nice handwriting.

Princess,

Page 1004, Elements of Literature.
If you have more questions meet me at the English Literature Club

There is no name to whom it is from. But there is another smiley face at the end of the letter. She smirks at the message. What was written is the page where her assignment is. Very helpful! Whoever you are, Himchan said in sarcastic way. She check her textbook and lo and behold another letter. But this time it has an artistic drawing of a short haired girl in snapback. And it looks like her.

Why in the world a princess like you
who looks like a prince
Even not having a long hair
caught my heart in a bliss?

I think my heart was betrayed,
by seeing an uncool girl like you,
You’re not in anyway close
to my dream girl, no way!
But why am I dreaming
to catch your heart one day?!

I think I’m trapped
by your joke, smiles, and charm
You who hate me for being me.
Now you’re guilty of enchanting me,
You should take responsibility!

“WHAT THE FREAKING HELL IS THIS?!” Himchan shouted at the top of her lungs after reading the letter. She suddenly laughs so loud that she rolled at the floor, touching her belly. Her laugh was heard all over the house that her mother and her younger brother, Zelo, checked her out.

“Are you okay, dear?” she heard her mother asked at the door. She glanced at them and she smiles. Her mother is already in her night gown and seems like Himchan woke her up. Next to her mother is Zelo who had his brows curled in disgust.

“Are you on your period again, Noona?!” Zelo asked in a serious tone but smirked after a few seconds.

“Shut up curly head!” Himchan said as she gets up and straighten her clothes. She didn't expect that reading that poem, or whatever that is will made her burst like that. The written text sounds like a joke. Or maybe it was really a joke. She started to laugh again at the sudden thought of the letter.

“Himchan?” her mother called her again. More worried this time.

“I’m okay, Mom. I’m just checking my phone and my friend send in a joke.”

“Is that so? But I heard you curse. It’s rare hearing you curse, especially at night!”

“Mom! I’m really okay.” Himchan said, “I’m just having a moment.”

“Hah! A moment?!” Zelo starts mocking his sister. “More like a PMS. Be careful Mom. Later she’ll be crying over some handsome loser at school.”

“What are you talking about, Zelo?” Himchan is got irritated and about to walk to her younger brother.

“Oh! I forgot you like girls more.”

“Zelo! Stop teasing your sister.”

“You’re just jealous ‘coz I’m surrounded by girls, you !”

“Hey!”

“Stop!!” their mother shouted waving her hands up the air. Seeing her children attacking each other in a sensitive way she cleanly cut their civil conversation. Both become silent waiting for their mother’s next move. She then shoves Zelo out of the door and look at Himchan. “You sleep now, honey. I’ll have to talk to Zelo about his future relationship. Good night!”

“Mommy!!”

“Shut up now, Zelo.”

“Thanks, Mom. Good night!”

~