Friends

That Girl

"Aren't you being mean to my Gukkie?" Jieun suddenly asked Himchan one afternoon. They are at that time sitting at the stair of the school building of the senior students while waiting for their friends. Himchan, who is busy digging her bag for her handkerchief, tensed a bit. She then darted a sharp glance at Jieun, questioning her friend's choice of words.

"Mean? Me?" Himchan said in confusion. "And what did I do for you to say that?" 

School already ends a couple of hours ago but they are still in school because of some school club activity each of them is in. There is no scheduled practice for Himchan and Jieun, who are both members of Music Club. Their adviser only informed them about the new schedule of practice since their practice room is under renovation that day. But Hyorin and Hyosung have a meeting with the faculty member about the student council. 

Rather than going home with just the two of them, they waited for the others until they finished with the meeting. And the long hours of wait seems to get into Jieun.

"Don't you remember that you hit him? Below the belt, actually. That's...a foul."

"So you're now worried about his future babies?"

"That's not it Himchan."

"Oh...you mean he might not give you your deserved children if ever both of you got together and married?!" Himchan burst into laughter and looked pathetically at Jieun. In which made her friend a bit uneasy and frowned. Jieun who is not amused of Himchan's reaction narrowed her eyes and glared at her friend.

"Himchan! I'm not joking okay?"

Himchan stops laughing when she saw Jieun's face. She was actually joking but apparently Jieun didn't get the punchline

"What?!" she then asked. She quite understand what Jieun wants from her. Himchan thought Jieun is just being obsess with the guy she though is a perfect man, but she's not ready to accept whatever Jieun is saying. Boys are just nasty being that they should avoid, specially at this early age.

Himchan dismissed Jieun's attempt to scold her and get back to her business.

Jieun feeling defeated can only shakes her head and looked away. There are things she want to say to her friend but Himchan's current mood seems not fitting to for her to say those things. She's happy kicking her dream boy. She might just forget her concern and consider it as bleh.

She averted her attention and forget Himchan. As she turn her face she saw Yongguk from a distance. That view gives her a smile on her face. Yongguk is talking to a group of friends and they seem saying goodbye to each other. A few of them leave and some glaced at Jieun. They must have felt someone is watching them.

Yongguk followed his friend's eyes and then saw Jieun watching them. Yongguk glanced at her and Jieun then wave back and smiles.

"Hi Yongguk!" she said loudly to catch his attention. Yongguk at first was indifferent looking at her but suddenly smile and wave back.

"Oh! You!" one of the guys said. Himchan who is still busy with her bag heard the voice and looked at them. She recognized the one who spoke but then again she saw Yongguk being one of them. Its the high-nosed guys again, she said to herself and look around making sure that they are talking to them.

Yongguk's group then walk towards them. They are three of them, Yongguk, the high-nose guy and the one cute guy that they hasn't met before. Jieun stand up to meet them, still waving her hand.

"You're still in school?" the guys asked Himchan when the boys reached them. Himchan who is confused on why he is talking to her did not answer. This is awkward. Why in the world is he asking me this?

"We are waiting for our friends." Jieun is the one who answered. Both girls are looking at each other, exchanging glance and looking confuse. Himchan then look at Yongguk who is currently looking at the ground, feeling uncomfortable.

It was a 5 seconds of dead silence between them. No one speak up and that high-nose guy is just there smiling at Himchan. Yongguk feeling uncomfortable scratch his head and speak up.

"I still have my bag upstairs. I go get it first. Wait for me here." Both boys nodded and wave a hand.

"Can I go with you?" Jieun then looked at Himchan, giving some eye signal to her friend. Himchan smirked with some inaudible noise coming from her nose. The desperation has leveled up! Himchan is controlling her laugh because of Jieun's move. "I have to check something upstairs, too." 

Yongguk didn't protest. He nods and extends his arm towards her and move his hand and gestured to follow him who will lead the way. Jieun smiles at the hand gesture. She thought he was reaching for her hand. She then wave her hand to Himchan and quickly run next to Yongguk.

Himchan's eyes followed the two love birds walk. Witnessing her friend obviously showing her interest towards Yongguk disgust her a bit. But she didn't understand Jieun's feelings. She  then remember her mother's words about falling inlove. Her mother being worried of her entering High School, often reminds her that she should be aware of herself if ever she falls inlove. Some people do foolish things when they are inlove. And now looking at Jieun, maybe that's what her mother is talking about.

She then look at the two guys with her. Now what?