Chapter 6

Time Scandal

 

                    “I'm terribly sorry! I- I didn't know someone would be inside.” Joonghoon apologized straight away. Letting the material fall back in his place. Awkwardly coughing he moved a few steps back.

                    “I'm sorry to bother you both but.. you know? Doing such intimate things on Seollal in a public rest room is quite inappro-” His voice faltered as the heavy tent flap opened in a rush. The guy almost stumbled outside while looking bewildered as his head turned and twisted and turned again. His eyes scanning the whole alley frantically. Though Joonghoon's gaze turned towards the pretty girl exiting the stand instead, he still thought about how odd the other guy was. A polite cough came from Joonghoon's throat before walking past the girl, entering the stand after their hectic exit. Only to discover there was nothing inside. Moving the material aside he nodded his head towards the quiet girl.

                    “I was told the loo would be here. Where can I find it?” Joonghoon asked. The girl turned towards the stranger's voice.

                    “The what?” The frantic boy asked instead as he held onto the girl's shoulders from behind.

                    “You know. I need to find 'the Chamber of Secrets'. Find a safe haven. Answer nature's call?”

                    “What is this Jackdaw speaking about?” The guy hissed between his teeth. “What kind of horrible clothing are you wearing?”

                    “H-horrible clothing? Hey! Couldn't you have gotten prettier hanboks for Seollal? They're so dull and scrappy.” Joonghoon huffed as he crosses his arms. “I was asking where the toilet is, assbite.”

Before both boys could step towards each other as their fists were raised the girl stood between them, pushing both men's chest apart.

                    “Don't get your fists dirty over some peasant, master.” She remarked before grabbing her friend's hand as she started walking to the exit of the alleyway.

                    “Master? Master!? Hey!” Joonghoon grabbed the male's free hand before pulling him back. “A lady should never call her boyfriend 'master'. It's tasteless and rascist!” Before the guy could answer his girlfriend stood between the two men. Her fists clenching tightly as she put them on her hips.

                    “I'm Prince Bongrim's, second successor of Joseon kingdom, concubine! Of course I shall call him Master!” She huffed after her outburst. Moving the loose strands of her hair behind her ear as she glared up towards the stranger. It was quiet for a short while before a few snickers could be heard as a loud laughter soon followed.

                    “Bongrim? 'Prince' Bongrim? That's the dumbest name I've ever heard! Bongrim. Ha!” Wiping some non-existing tears from his eyes, Joonghoon continued with a slight chuckle. “And what may your name be, Miss Concubine?”

The girl lifted up her chin as she glared towards the laughing male.

                    “Second successor's first and highest concubine Hyobin. Hyobin is my name, peasant.”

His hands were raised, acting as if he were intimidated by the smaller girl's words. His eyes scanned the odd pair in front of him. He grabbed the guy's hand firmly to shake it before grabbing the woman's hand gently, laying a kiss on the back of it as an old-fashioned gentleman.

                    “The name is Kim Joonghoon. Also called Chilsu by the famous character of the real actor.” He chuckled slightly. “Well you know. My mother was a very big fan of the movie 'Chilsu & Mansu'. You do know that movie right? Hell, Every Korean citizen knows that movie.” The confused stares told him otherwise.

                    “What's a movie?”

                    “You find my name stranger than Chilsu?”

A frown appeared on Joonghoon's face. Something clicked after the wheels started turning in his head. Concubine. Prince Bongrim. Master. Peasant.

                    “You guys aren't from here, are you?”

In the silence that followed a soft gulp could be heard before a careful whisper followed.

                    “This Seollal. It's not the year of the monkey, year 1644, is it?” The girl asked with a slight tremble in her voice. Joonghoon answered, trying to sound a bit more assuring to them and himself.

                    “It's the year of the horse. 2014, miss Hyobin.”