Chapter 2

Time Scandal

                    “Hyobin!” Bongrim shouted as he turned around to face the lady on the floor next to his bed, Hyobin or as she was named before she was taken by his guards, Hyosung.

                    “You got some scary dream again? I've heard you rustling and grunting in your sleep again. Is that hard floor really okay for you? I could ask the maids to get you some more blankets. Are you sure one is enough for your back? My back always hurts when I lie on the ground for just a few minutes.”

Hyobin sighed silently, she knew her master well. She's been with him ever since the kidnapping happened.

Hyosung got tired of the constant bouncing of the fast horses. She was sick of the clops, the stinky men, the never ending forests. She was sick of everything! After the sun went down she could just barely see some lights lighting up in the distance. It weren't many lights, around three or four were surrounding a bigger light source. Hyosung knew that the light sources were friends with the scary men.

The horses started slowing down till coming to a full stop. The big light source Hyosung saw before came from a small house on a wheel, some strange cart she's never seen before in her village. In the little light they had Hyosung could see that the tiny house on wheels were attached to two horses and prettily decorated with letters she couldn't read.

                    “Excited yet, Young Lady? You're going to see your master from now on.”

Hyosung turned her head to look at the scary man behind her as he talked to her. 'your master' My master? Hyosung didn't know anything about masters. She didn't have anyone with the name or title of a 'master' in her small cozy village.

Hyosung was picked up again by a different guy now. This man looked a whole lot less scary but she still didn't feel safe or relieved yet. The man talked to her with the husky voice he had but Hyosung didn't listen. The word 'master' kept repeating in her head as she neared the warm looking little house on wheels. The man holding her tightly with one arm opened the door of the small house.

Hyosung was too baffled at the amount of light being shined in that little space. She blinked a few times to get her tired eyes to see everything clearly again. In the corner, next to an even scarier looking man than the one on the horse, sat a little happy boy around her age. His legs dangling over the bench as he excitedly talked to the man beside him.

                    “Is that my new playmate, father? You really chose a very pretty one this time!”

Hyosung was silently placed on her feet inside of the cart. She opened her arms towards the kindest looking guy. She was scared of the big men on the horses and even more afraid of the stern guy in the cart itself. Hyosung slowly wrapped her arms around the guy who settled her into the cart his neck. She didn't know what to do. Her very first instinct was to cry and so she did.

                    “Why is she crying, father? Doesn't she want to be my playmate? Where are her parents, father? They could help her feel happy again!”

Hyosung sniffed softly, her crying halting as she heard 'parents'. She moved her sight away from the flustered man's neck as she turned to look at the boy.

The boy had already dropped down off of the bench as he carefully walked closer towards the smaller girl.

                    “Hello there. I'm Bongrim!” He grinned enthusiastically. “I'm the second prince and son of King Injo. Father told me you'll be my playmate from now on. Was your mother pretty? How did you become this pretty?”

The little boy laughed at his supposed joke but it only made the little girl turn away and cry even harder into the stranger's neck.

                    “Bongrim.” a low booming voice growled. “Sit down nicely again. We're heading home.”

Hyosung felt her hands being pulled apart, away from the warm neck before being softly pushed back, deeper into the unfamiliar little house on wheels. She felt helpless, she was helpless. The cart started to move and Hyosung was trapped.

                    “Sit down, Young Lady. You're with us now.” the scary guy said. Hyosung let her head hang low as she silently scuffled towards the bench across from the little boy.

As the time stretched and the heavy silence dropped Hyosung's shoulders even lower the young happy boy chirped.

                    “What's your name, pretty girl? What's your rank? Were you born in Jeju? Is your father a rich nobleman or maybe a businessman instead?”

Hyosung peeked up towards the happy boy, he was really cheerful even if the air felt so heavy to her. Hyosung opened to start speaking. She hasn't answered any questions since arriving here and her father always told her that was a rude thing to do.

                    “My name is Hyo-” she started but was soon cut of by the booming voice of the scary man the little boy called father. His voice reminded Hyosung of the scary thunder they heard whenever there was a storm sweeping over the mountain.

                    “Her name is not important. You name her son! She's just a concubine anyway.”

Hyosung shut directly. Words spinning inside her head, searching for any meaning but not finding any to the word 'concubine'.

                    “You mean she's like Lady Min Hoebin?” The father only grumbled an incoherent answer which the boy took as a yes.

The boy called Bongrim quickly jumped off of the bench again to move and settle down on the bench next to Hyosung. He bowed down and peeked between her long black hair to look for any signs on her face.

                    “From now on, pretty girl. I shall call you Hyobinnie.” He smiles victoriously before sitting up again, his eyes almost closing with his bright smile as he was boasting silently to his father about how smart he was for deciding her name all by himself.

                    “You're my concubine from now on. But I just call them playmates. Let's have fun together in the future, alright?” He tilted his head slightly as he looked towards the low hanging head of the girl next to him. Bongrim hadn't played with many girls before but he knew he'd like her to be his new friend. He held her hand that was clasping the bench rather tightly.

Hyosung turned just slightly towards him, too scared to look up and face the scary man before them, slowly, almost not noticeably, nodding towards her new made playmate.

Not a shadow of any happiness in sight on her pretty face.

 

                    “Hyobin! Oh, sorry. You went back to sleep again? I should've noticed.” Hyobin could hear Bongrim hit his forehead behind her back. She noticed how she had laid down again to reminiscence her first memory with her master. He had stayed the same since they were kids. No hardships had been lived by him, no taints since his childhood.

                    “No, Master.” Hyobin sat up again to move onto her knees, standing up with a slight push from her upper leg muscles as her steady hands stayed on her lap.

                    “I shall start preparing your breakfast, Master. Please rest a little more” She had been trained well since the very start, 16 long years. Punished severely at every little fault. But it has always been her fault.

If she had learned to keep closed from the very start, from that painful day in the closet. She might have still lived happily with her parents at the foot of the Hanra mountain.