Chapter 5

Time Scandal

As he looked at the surroundings around him as he sat on a bench in a park, Joonghoon felt satisfied. Seeing the children running and playing around with ddakji* and kites made his heart feel at ease. The majority of the people, as himself, were wearing hanbok to celebrate seollal traditionally in there city. All the colorful and beautiful clothing made a pretty picture against the many gray tall buildings.

His mind has been filled with too many thoughts lately. 'Did he do that right? Should he go meet his friends more often? Does he need a girlfriend? What parts should he buy this week?'

A loud and big sigh escaped his lips as he lowered himself, hanging lazily on the bench as his head rested back to enjoy the warm sun. He stretched his legs as his eyes closed. Breathing in through his nose and out through his mouth. 'Just get your head in the game again. Rest a bit, Joonghoon. It's Seollal. Just enjoy it, buddy.'

His face scrunched up as he broke into a laughing fit. If people were to hear his thoughts they'd think he'd be some lunatic. His eyes opened and his laughter faltered. Coughing awkwardly he sat back normally onto the bench again, crossing his legs as he waved towards the on-looking children. 'Not like they're not thinking you're crazy right now anyway.'

A huge weight suddenly fell onto his shoulders.

                    “Chilsu-ya!” the stranger strangled Joonghoon's neck. Legs flying into the air as his hands went straight to the arm around his throat. With a bit of effort he turned his neck to see his harasser.

                    “Hey! You scared the crap out of me!” Joonghoon shouted before letting out a sigh of relief. The friend hit his shoulder before moving closer to Joonghoon's ear to whisper.

                    “Be nice and gentleman-like now. I've brought my girlfriend and managed to get you a date as well.” Seeing his friend wink with a big grin Joonghoon looked to his right where two girls stood, dressed in colorful hanbok, watching the boys interact before giving them a shy wave.

 

The backs of the joyful couple walking in front of Joonghoon made him even more depressed. The girl walking by his side was sure nice. A cute and outgoing happy-go-lucky girl was pointing everywhere, trying to grab his attention for longer than a few seconds. As she kept failing she decided to give up instead. Looking around curiously at all the beautiful colored lanterns.

Joonghoon's thoughts went to other things than admiring the busy scenery. He appreciated what his friend did for him. He was thankful for someone listening to his prayers but getting a girlfriend wasn't his first priority.

                    “Whaddya thinking 'bout?” the cute girl asked, hoping to get his attention once again, as she got bored of the repeated decor. Her arms grabbing his as she held the limp piece of bone and muscle tightly against her body.

                    “The amount of neutrons of anti-gravity I'll need to have to fit through a wormhole if, at the least, two grown man would enter the wormhole at exact the same time before coming in contact wi-” Joonghoon's gaze slowly drifted of towards his side as his walking suddenly stopped. The girl's mouth would be able to make a nice home for flies if she kept it open some more. His eyes widened slightly before almost closing completely, tilting his head slightly with a nervous grin. He patted her lifeless hand as it laid on his arm.

                    “Just homework. Thinking about homework.” He nodded quickly before continuing their steps as the other couple called them. Hitting himself on the forehead whenever she wasn't looking made him look even dumber but it was dumb to talk about his passion in the first place. Joonghoon has many friends, he goes out to party a lot and is very popular with the ladies.

But it hasn't always been like this.

 

                    “Nerd! Freak!”

                    “Why are you trying to act so smart, huh?”

                    “You think it's funny to make us look dumb?” yelled a group of kids, all around the age of 10. They are surrounding a tinier body as it lays weakly against the wall of a school. Soft coughs were heard from the skinny boy on the ground. His pants got ripped, showing his thin young legs, and his uniform's waistcoat had been long gone. Another judging scoff sound was heard.

                    “Who puts some 8-year-old in our class anyway? Just because he's smart doesn't mean he fits with us!” Other kids followed with 'yeah!'s and 'that's right!'s before the group slowly parted. After a last swift kick to the ostracized boy they all left. The big group of at least 16 heads ended with just one motionless hanging head remaining.


Kim Joonghoon, also called Chilsu, is a smart kid. He was born with the brains and after a little tweaking on his style he had the beauty.

What he didn't had was the money nor friends.

That was luckily solved after having numerous jobs at the age of 16. At the age of 18 he dropped out of school to only have evening courses on mechanical and other types of engineering. It gave him more time to get little jobs at companies.

His brains helped him a lot on his way and he had made a lot of money for most of his inventions. After letting go of his horrible childhood bullying experience he changed. He dressed handsomely and created new and many friends by going out a lot. He's well known in the village for his good looks and manners but nobody knows his background, that he's actually a smart boy with brilliant brains. He plans to keep this a secret just like his original master plan.

To create the world's very first-


                    “Chilsu!” Joonghoon cringed slightly. He should have never told anyone about the origin of his name, that his mom is the biggest Park Joonghoon fan and named him after his on film character. Joonghoon blinked his eyes to get out of his trance.

                    “Y-yeah? What is it?” His eyes focused normally before seeing the trio stare at him oddly.

                    “You okay, man? We're heading inside this café. They have fortunetellers here. We're going to get ours checked.” His friend winked and teasingly added. “Maybe you two should too, to see if you're compatible to marry.” The girlfriend hit her boyfriend, for causing the embarrassment for her good friend, as he laughed loudly. Lending his arm towards his date, Joonghoon followed.

                    “Don't mind that guy. He can get really weird sometimes.” He chuckled slightly, combing the hair on the back of his head out of pure awkwardness. The girl seemed to like the idea though, giggling next to him as she just grabbed and held his hand instead.

The double date sat down, drinks and snacks starting to fill the table between the girls and boys. Joonghoon's friend and his girlfriend started. The elderly lady fortuneteller sat at the head of the table while scribbling down their names and other information.

Joonghoon didn't want to be rude so he played along but he himself didn't believe in fortunetelling. It was just a joke and some wild thoughts were just spoken, none that would ever be true. He sighs softly before excusing himself. Scooting his chair back he stood up and searched for any signs of a bathroom.

                    “Outside, directly right, in the alley. Entrance is a white stand.” Awkwardly nodding his head as a thank he followed the orders by the older fortuneteller. Joonghoon stepped outside before stopping in the threshold of the café. His head tilted. 'How did she even know I needed to go to the toilet?'

As people bumped and complained as he stood in the way of the exit/entrance he quickly moved on. Turning the corner of the building into an alley. He could see the white stand on the corner of the building as the alley exited on a wider road again. Joonghoon's hand rested on the heavy and cold surface of the white material, ready to open it.

As he peeked to see if it was vacant a bright flash blinded his eyes.