Secrets

Order of the Wolf

Hansol tossed and turned as he tried desperately to sleep.  The wind was howling and rain was pelting the window.  It wasn’t just the storm that was keeping him up… his eyes had been opened to an entirely new world just a few hours earlier.  He could faintly hear Xero’s snoring as he climbed down the short ladder from his bunk and stretched.  He had to do something until he got sleepy…

 

“My books!” Hansol whispered to himself as he rummaged through one of his bags.  It was then that he remembered leaving his red bag full of books in the trunk of his mother’s car.  He cursed under his breath as he looked around the room for something to do.  His mind wandered to the journal that was in Xero’s drawer.

 

“It would be wrong to read it, clearly he wants it to stay private… but if I put it back he won’t know,” Hansol thought.  He slowly slid the drawer open and retrieved the journal.  He climbed back up to his bunk and opened the book.  Using his cell phone as a light, Hansol began to read…

 

“I usually don’t write about these things, but I did something bad.  I killed him. I didn’t mean to, I swear.  It was Kidoh’s brother.  I just got so mad, so tired of people rejecting me… something happened, I felt this surge of power and I just… I just let it go.  I didn’t mean to hurt anyone! The kid just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong moment.  No one knows… no one knows it was me.  They think it was just some kind of freak accident, but I know the truth…”

 

Hansol stared down at the page in pure shock and horror.  He couldn’t believe that a killer was sleeping peacefully right beneath him.  He understood Xero’s feelings… but murder? That was a completely different story.  Despite his fear, Hansol kept reading, desperate to find out more about this dark side of his roommate…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kidoh completely ignored the rain as he swung his heavy broadsword through the air with intense focus.  He performed every move combination he knew before sticking the blade into the ground and sitting down in the middle of the open field.

 

“Hey, I woke up and noticed that you were gone.  I figured you’d be here, everything okay?” Jin asked as he sat down next to Kidoh.

 

“Yeah… I was just thinking… In a few days, all the years of pain and hatred that I’ve felt, will come to an end.  Finally, I can say that I avenged my brother, and made the world a safer place,”

 

“Kidoh… I don’t want you to think that I’m not being supportive, but there is something you need to know.  Revenge, doesn’t solve your problems.  It doesn’t ease the pain at all, if anything it makes it worse… I’m not trying to dictate your actions, I just want to give you the tools to make an informed decision,”

 

“So what are you saying Jin?  Are you saying that they don’t need to be stopped!? That we should just let them get away with their crimes!?”  Kidoh grabbed his sword and began stomping off toward the dorms.

 

“Kidoh! Listen to me!  I’m not saying that we should just let them go; they do need to be stopped.  However, if you kill Xero out of pure vengeance… it won’t heal your wounds,” Jin said, placing his hand on Kidoh’s shoulder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hansol’s eyes fluttered open as the morning sunlight pierced the window.

 

“Hey! I was just about to wake you, we’ve got class in an hour.  Better hurry if you wanna get one of the good showers,” Xero said with a big smile.  He grabbed a towel and headed out of the room.  Hansol shifted a little and his elbow made contact with a strange object; Xero’s journal.  He must have fallen asleep reading it.  He quickly jumped down from his bunk and opened the drawer.

 

“Hey, I forgot my- what are you doing?” Xero’s tone shifted as he re-entered the room.  Hansol quickly put the journal behind his back.

 

“Uh nothing, I was just looking for something,” he replied with a nervous smile.  Xero marched over to him and grabbed his arm, exposing the journal.

 

“You read my journal!? Haven’t you ever heard of privacy!  I can’t believe you’d do something like that!”

 

“Me!? I’m not the one who’s a murderous psychopath!” Hansol blurted out.  Xero’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped.  Tears filled his eyes and he backed away slowly.

 

“Maybe you should find yourself a new roommate Hansol…” Xero muttered as he picked up his deodorant and slammed the door to their room.  Hansol just stood there, not knowing exactly what he should do next.