Tension

Order of the Wolf

Everyone was crowded around the table looking down at the book even though Sehyuk was the only one that could read it.

 

“Okay, let’s go over the plan again just to make sure we all understand.  When Kidoh uses the stone, the other wizards will transfer their power to Hansol with the transference spell, that way he can avoid the spell limit,” Sehyuk said. 

 

“We all literally just heard you say that, you’re repeating it as if someone just joined the conversation,” Sangdo replied.  Sehyuk just shot him a dirty look.

 

“Since we’re all clear, let’s get some sleep,” Hojoon said.  Everyone started leaving to return to their rooms, but Jenissi stopped Nakta and Sanggyun at the door.

 

“Breathe a word of this to Kidoh, and I’ll spill his guts before he can even touch the stone, got it?”

 

Nakta rolled his eyes and pushed Jenissi aside as he and Sanggyun left the room.  After everyone was gone, Hansol settled into bed and Byungjoo climbed in next to him.  Hojoon and Xero got into the other bed and soon they were all asleep.

------------------------------------------------

Kidoh was awakened by the faint sound of the door opening.  His knight training honed his senses to be very sensitive.  Nakta and Sanggyun stopped when they saw that he was awake.

 

“Where were you two!?” Kidoh whisper-shouted, trying not to wake Jiwon. 

 

“Um, nowhere… we were just walking around,” Sanggyun lied… he was terrible at lying.  Kidoh noticed a strand of white hair on Nakta’s jacket.  He decided not to say anything and closed his eyes.  Inside he knew that Sanggyun and Nakta could no longer be trusted.

----------------------------------------------

The alarm went off on Hansol’s phone, waking him and the others from their sleep.  They had to be up pretty early to set out on their “quest for knowledge” that Mr. Cho kept going on and on about.  After they showered, they met the rest of the students and teachers in the lobby.  Yano was clinging on to Gohn’s back and snoring slightly, while Gohn struggled to hold him up.

 

“Are you really that weak?” Jenissi teased.

 

“No, he’s just heavier than he looks!” Gohn insisted.  The students shuffled into two tour busses.  Their day consisted of sightseeing, museum visits, and boring lectures.  After what seemed like forever they were on their way out to dinner before going back to the hotel.

 

“I’m so hungry I could eat an entire field of livestock,” Sehyuk said as he and Sangdo pulled up a chair to the already large table.

 

“Another racial stereotype…” Sangdo mumbled.  Hansol was having fun with his friends, but the looming conflict with Kidoh was lingering in the back of his mind.  He silently prayed that Kidoh wouldn’t use the stone and he wouldn’t be forced to fight.

------------------------------------------

Kidoh just stared down at his plate as Sanggyun and Nakta sat down at the table.  Jiwon cleared his throat to break the awkward silence.

 

“Hey Kidoh, can I have a few fries?” he asked.  Kidoh nodded, pushing his plate to Jiwon.  He could feel the faint heat from the stone in his pocket and he just wanted to use it and get it over with.  Jiwon smirked; it was as if he’d read Kidoh’s thoughts.

 

“I can get us back to the school early,” he whispered before walking over to the teachers’ table.  Kidoh couldn’t hear what he was saying, but he could see him making exaggerated arm movements before the teachers rushed to the bathroom. As soon as they were gone he sprinkled white powder on their food and rushed back to the table.

 

“What did you do?” Kidoh asked.

 

“Just wait for it,” Jiwon replied with a devilish smile.

-----------------------------------------

Hansol almost spit his drink out from laughter at Yano using his breadsticks as walrus tusks.

 

“Are we really this immature?” Sehyuk asked, before giggling softly.  Their fun was interrupted by the sound of someone choking.  Hansol’s eyes darted to the teachers’ table where all of the teachers were on their knees gasping for air.  Blue veins were starting to show in their necks.

 

“Someone call an ambulance!” shouted one of the other students.  Within minutes the teachers were being rushed off the hospital, except for Mr. Cho, who hadn’t been eating with the others.

 

“Alright students, gather around. Since this emergency situation has occurred, you will all return to the hotel and get some rest.  More information will be given tomorrow morning, but for now it looks like we may be heading home early,” Mr. Cho explained.

 

“What the hell happened?” Hansol asked Xero as they boarded the bus.

 

“No idea, but I’m willing to bet it wasn’t a coincidence,” Xero replied.

--------------------------------------------

“I gotta give you credit Jiwon… your plan worked, but will the teachers be okay?” Kidoh asked as they took their seats.

 

“Yeah in a few days they’ll be fine,” Jiwon said.  Kidoh’s heart sped up.  Only a little longer before he would taste victory.