four

Crimson Nightingale

My house is rather small despite the fact that it has three bedrooms. It's more like an officetel really. I don't know how they had managed to insert two extra bedrooms, but they're very small and cramped. They remind me of my grandmama's attic closets. I have a rectangular living room and adjacent to it is my extremely small kitchen. Since space is limited, I bought bar stools instead and placed them on the slender island. I made it work somehow. I'm not designer Jin Hee for nothing, peeps.

 

I was going to make myself dinner but to my luck, all my edible foods seemed to have spoiled overnight.

 

With a weary sigh of defeat, I opted for some jjajangmyeon.

 

"Order some for me too."

 

Ugh. ert, please, control yourself. I rolled my eyes at him and turned my back.

 

"Hello, Auntie. It's Yoon Jin Hee again. Yes auntie, I'm ordering the usual."

 

ert Soo poked my side and I nearly made a permanent dent on his squishy face. "Piss off," I hissed.

 

"What was that Jin Hee-ya?" asked Auntie.

 

Oh crap. "Nothing auntie, I was just wondering about how long the food will get here."

 

I heard a chuckle from the other line and I smiled a little.  I had been Auntie's loyal customer for two years. She had saved me countless times from near starvation. Not to mention her delicious cooking. I must have gained a few extra pounds due to her kindness. "It's healthy pounds, dear," she said when I chided how much rounder my belly have gotten since I started visiting her shop.

 

"As soon as I finish taking your order dear," she said, "are you going to add any more?"

 

Before I could confirm my order with a final 'yes', ert Soo unleashed his surprise attack.

 

"I'll pay for both of our shares," he announced.

 

"Auntie, please double my order with extra pork chops and fried octopus on the side." I quickly hung up and faced the ert. " No take backs!"

 

I quickly left the kitchen area and headed for the living room before he realizes just how much I ordered.

 

I sat on my black sofa. The soft plush underneath offered some sense of protection. Not that I need physical protection. My grandmama made me take hapkido when I was younger. I can take on little ert any day.

 

"I'm sorry for just imposing, by the way," ert Soo said. He finally moved from the balcony door and made his way across the floor. In five short strides,  ert Soo was soon sitting in front of me, arms resting on my silver coffee table and feet folded underneath. His cheeks were seated firmly on my plush carpet.

 

cheeks, really? I shake my head at the thought and take my time taking in the squishy ert in front of me.

 

Wow, he has big eyes. They're like bulging big eyes... but in a good way, you know? I mean if they're on somebody else, they'd look like those ugly goldfish with bulb-like heads and bulgy eyes. Merp. Scary picture. Backspace. Delete. Escape. Back to ert Soo.

 

Oh yes, my first impression of him remains the same. He really is gorgeous.

 

"Why do you even need an apartment?" I finally ask. I've been dying to know. I mean it's not everyday a handsome senior from your high school gets shipped into your house.

 

Ahem. Don't forget. He's erted, Yoon Jin Hee. Don't let his good looks cloud your judgment.

 

"Things became complicated and this became that. You know, the usual," he answered rather casually.

 

Oh okay, that sounds reasonable... NOT. "As if I'll ing let you sleep under the same roof as me with that kind of lame excuse. Either tell me the truth or you're going to be sleeping next to Mrs. Choi tonight."    

 

"Geez, are you always so harsh?"

 

No, but people like you made me into the person that I am today. "Strike one, . Answer my questions truthfully."

 

"?! Whoa, hold it, little girl," he began and I suddenly felt the sudden urge to hit him. Little girl? Are you kidding me? ert Soo, please. "You should not be using such crass words. Moreover, you don't even know me well enough to apply that 'friends play around' excuse."

 

"Please, I wouldn't be such a potty mouth if you just quit bullting."

 

Bam.

 

A pillow smacked me on the face. And I sank deeper in my seat. What the hell? I shook the surprise off and looked up to see a smirking ert looking down on me.

 

"Oh it's so on, mother er," I said as I grabbed the pillow next to me.

 

His eyes widened and he quickly backed away. All traces of his manly confidence was replaced by legitimate fear. That's right, son, fear the pillow.

 

"It was for the sanitation of your mouth," he yelped as I tackled him to the ground.

 

"You little ," I growled as I raised the happy face pillow high above my head. He inhaled deeply and tried to wriggle to safety.

 

"Let's compromise, eh?"

 

"How about...n to the ing o?" I cracked my neck from side to side and gave him what I hoped was a deadly glare.

 

Then he smirked. Uh-oh. In a split second, our positions were switched. He had me pinned on the floor, my pillow happily whirling above his head. The more I looked at it, the more demonic the pillow's smile became. Please remind me to burn that thing later.

 

"That's too bad then, I was planning on being lenient," he drawled. Oh buddha, what is this? Is the ert finally going to live up to his name? I felt his free hand crawl to my side and rest just above my hip bone. My eyes widened at the contact. Totally a bad idea not to wear an undershirt today.

 

"W-what are you doing you ert?" I cried. I thrashed against his hold, but he just tightened his hold.

 

"What do you think?" He asked, his voice low and seductive. "You tell me what you think I'm going to do, Ms. Jin Hee."

 

"Get off me, I'm serious! I'm going to ing sue your until you're ing broke and you're i- AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

 

The immobile fingers above my hip bone attacked my sides. Someone help meeeee! I gasp for breath,  my lungs were pumping oxygen as fast they can while I tried to control my laughter. ert Soo kept tickling me, unmindful of my pleas and painful writhing against the wooden floor.

 

"Please." Wheeze. "Stop." Wheeze.

 

ert Soo abruptly stopped and smiled at me. "You finally spoke without cussing. And even said please," he beamed. I frowned at him and was about to push him away when he was suddenly thrown across the floor.

 

"Who the are you and what the hell are you doing to my girlfriend?"

 

Oh balls. Here comes drama.

 

"Yah! Kim Jongin!"

 

The assaulter turned around and flashed me an accusing glare.

 

"Sorry for being late, babe,” he growled, “but why the are you on the floor with an owl all over you?”

 

“He was so not all over me, Jongin! He was just on top of me….tickling...oh.”

 

He scoffed and helped me up. “You’re such a cheater.”

 

“No I’m not!”

 

“Yes you are!”

 

“No. I am-”

 

“Ahem,” Kyungsoo interrupted us, his hands stuffed inside his dark brown hoodie. We stopped our banter and turned to face him.

 

“What?” we asked simultaneously. I narrowed my eyes at Jongin and he elbowed me in return.

 

“I’m sorry to interrupt your lovers’ spat, but I think I should clear up some misunderstandings.”

 

Jongin nodded as he took a step in front of and crossed his arms. “Yes, please explain why you were on top of my girl.”

 

Pft. This is too funny.

 

Both males looked at me.

 

Oops, did I talk out loud?

 

“Yeah, and you still are,” said Kyungsoo, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

 

Jongin caught the subtle change and wheeled around to reprimand him.

 

“Oh stop it, Jongin,” I said. “I guess I have to clear up something, too, ert Soo.”

 

“Jongin is not my boyfriend-- he’s my best friend. He’s been calling me his ‘girl’ to ward off any unwanted testosterone." Wait... Why the hell did I tell him?

 

Jongin looked aghast. This is the first time I've blown off our cover.  Speaking of covers...

 

"How the hell did you get in here without me noticing you?"

 

"Through the door, idiot."

 

"Really?" I asked him, incredulous.  Huh. I swear I didn't hear nor see the door open. Plus, the alarm would have gone off, right?  

 

"You gave me your spare key, remember?" He briefly pulled out the key and showed it to ert Soo as well. "Wait. Quit distracting me. What is he doing here? Who is he?"

 

"He is--"

 

"I believe I can speak for myself," interjected ert Soo. He held out a hand and introduced himself, "My name's Do Kyungsoo, and I'm going to attend Seoul High Academy as a senior with Jin Hee."

 

Jongin reluctantly shook his hand and nodded back towards me. Then they both stared into each other's eyes for a second more. A second too long.

 

What.

 

"I'm Kim Jongin, and I attend the public school next to the academy. I've been that girl's best friend since sophomore year."

 

"So she's been a potty mouth since then?"

 

I think I can see flowers surrounding them...

 

"Jin-jin? Yup. Actually, she was way worse."

 

Then they smiled at each other and fist bumped.

 

What just happened?

 

I huffed and yanked Jongin out of the house with me. "Good night Jongin."

 

"Hey! Wait! I can't let you stay in the same room with another guy!"

 

"He's going to go home in a bit, for Pete's sake!"

 

Kyungsoo stuck his head out of the door, "I am?"

 

Oh for the love of... "Yes. You are. Actually, the both of you can go home right now."

 

I pulled Kyungsoo out and ran back inside, making sure to firmly shut the door behind me.  After ensuring that both boys had left, I proceeded to vent out my anger at the demonic pillow on the ground.

 

Ding dong. Ding dong.

 

I got up and stormed angrily towards the door, my pillow trailed behind me. I swear I will roast these two alive. I yanked the door open. "Kim Jongin, Do Kyungsoo, I will--"  

 

"Here are your two orders of jjajangmyeon and four side dishes, ma'am. "

 

Oh crap.

 

"The total is 53,322 won."

 

ert, come back.