two

Crimson Nightingale

Holy .

 

Move people, move!

Thanks to my late-night reminiscing, I am currently late for school. I had woken up fairly early-- 6:25 A.M. but my stupid self decided to sleep for five more minutes. Just five more. Five more my . I freaking woke up at 8 am and my first period class started at 8:30. I lived approximately 15 minutes from school by bus and my homeroom class was about a five minute sprint to the top of the three floor building.

Of course, being the that it is, life once again decided to make it harder for moi.I rounded the corner to the bus stop where the people were already boarding, putting all weight onto my left foot as I hopped along trying to shove my annoyingly large foot into my converse. All the while, a Ziploc bag containing four pieces of home style buttermilk waffles and syrup slapped my chin at each torturous jump. I gritted my teeth harder and felt a little bit of the bag rip. Then, get this, you're going to love it. The bus left the bus stop. I repeat. The bus freaking left the bus stop.

"Oh screw it," I hissed as I shoved my foot in with all my strength, injuring my poor index finger in the process. I stuffed my waffles carelessly in one of my skirt pockets and ran for my life. I'd have to dig through lint later.

Since it was a weekday, the streets were bustling with students walking, biking, and running to school. Business men and women were on their way to work, couples of all ages and the elderly were out for their morning exercises as well and they were all in my way!

"I'm sorry."

"Please move."

"Excuse me."

Eventually I resorted to pushing the obstacles aside, although I earned some reproachful "rude kid!" "punk!" and the occasional "yah!" But really? I didn’t care. As much as I would like to turn around and apologize, I simply treasured my life more. It's a cruel world, only the twisted makes it 'til the end.

Plus, Mrs. Choi is one scary lady. You don't believe me? Try misbehaving once, and I swear to god, you'll go home and read the bible to better your 'demonic' and 'rebellious' ways. She was also really ugly. There were wrinkles on her extremely wide and blotchy forehead, beady hawk eyes, a narrow yet oddly disfigured noise, and a permanent scowl to cap it all. She's a gargoyle reincarnated, I tell you!

Well anyways, I ran after the bus, hollering for it to stop or for someone to at least stop it for me. But no. No, no,no. People either just stared at me then at the bus or ignored my crazy existence entirely. Seriously?

 

Due to my frantic sprint, I made it to the gates of Seoul Academy before the bell rang. All I had to do was cross the street and I'll be able to make it to homeroom without a problem. It was 8:25.

I didn't notice that my shoelaces had come undone until I tried to cross the sidewalk and I face planted right on the pavement. The world around me turned black momentarily and when I regained my vision, everything swayed. Or maybe Earth was whirling around at a dizzying speed. Slow down, world, sloo~w down. I rolled over and felt the sidewalk curve behind me.

Looking up, I saw the sky for the first time this morning. I had been in such a hurry that I forgot my daily routine of surveying the sky every morning. The wintry blue sky was beautiful today just as it was yesterday. Actually, no. It was a lot prettier today. Or maybe I'm being biased. I abhorred Sundays the most - more than Mondays. Meh, I can be biased as much as I want. I smiled at the sky above me. Light of feathery white clouds painted the sky above and the bright glint of the morning sunlight burned my eyes, causing me to close them and bathe in it instead.

My moment of bliss was interrupted when something dark blocked my light and I let out an irritated whine. Leave me alone please.

"Hey, are you okay?" a worried voice inquired. I could tell he was quite close since I felt his warm minty breath hit my face.

I kept my eyes closed. "Yes, I am. Thank you for your concern," I answered robotically. I heard him let out a soft chuckle before I heard another rustling sound. He was probably getting up or something. When I was sure he was gone, or far away at least, I opened my eyes.

Oh my Lord. Save me, Buddha.

A pair of gorgeous brown eyes framed by y thick lashes stared back at me in surprise. What the hell is he doing staring at me?

"Holy , you scared the crap out of... I mean, I... you... huh?" I furrowed my eyebrows when I saw him try to hide a smirk.

"I was just trying to make sure you were okay," he said. He then stood up and brushed his black school slacks and fixed his bag behind his back. I took my time to look him over. He had narrow shoulders and a small frame for a guy. He had a messy yet styled short black hair and a navy blazer. His tie had a navy stripe pattern similar to mine. His golden name plate was too shiny for my tired eyes so I didn't bother to read it.

"Done checking me out?" he asked, eyebrows slightly raised.

 

"Puh-lease," I scoffed and turned away to hide my embarrassment. The number one thing I hated about myself was my annoying ability to turn tomato red at a snap of a finger. "As if I would check out an average-looking alien."

"So you did check me out, considering the fact that you deemed me 'average-looking'," he teased.

"I called you an alien too!"

He laughed and extended his hand at me. "Come on, crimson face, we'll be late."

I gasped and slapped his hand away as I frantically searched for my phone. I turned it on and nearly fainted. It was 8:50. How long did I space out for?! The student huffed and looked a bit annoyed. I paid no attention to him as I proceeded to collapse on the ground and pound my head against the concrete.

"H-hey! What are you doing?" He tried to yank me away, but I groaned and kept hitting my forehead. That is, until I felt something soft underneath me instead and a loud groan from him. "Can you please stop hurting yourself?" I stopped and he massaged his palms whilst giving me an accusing stare.

"What," I deadpanned, "I didn't tell you to save my forehead."

"I was doing it for the sidewalk," he retaliated. "I don't want to be fined for ruining public property."

 

I narrowed my eyes at him and struggled to get up. My damn knees wobbled and had huge- scrapes. Goodbye, beautiful legs. I took a tentative step forward only to be met by insane pain.

 

"Ouch!"

 

The student lunged forward and grabbed my falling body before I cracked my skull. Or according to him, my skull would instead crack the street.

 

"You are such trouble," he huffed, his face red from either weariness or the close proximity of my face to his, "And I barely even know you." Hey, he's actually really, by really I mean really, good looking up close. I felt his soft cheeks against my forehead and my face felt warm again.

From a distance I could hear the animalistic screeches of Mrs. Choi. I bet you she can smell the blood oozing from my torn knees and she's in the process of locating my whereabouts. And damn, she's good. I swallowed back a frightened squeal as I saw her settle in front of the iron gates, deadly heels frantically tapping, and her eyes (dear lord, her beady bird eyes) were trained on me.

I sighed and patted his back. "I've been told that countless of times, student-ssi, and unfortunately, you're stuck with me."