three

Crimson Nightingale

I held on to the student tightly as we made our way across the street. Shorty probably works out or something. His arm, though somewhat thin, was hard. I could feel his biceps flex as he tried to my non-cooperating body towards the gates of hell.

 

Mrs. Choi narrowed her beady eyes at us and her small bifocals finally seemed to fit her face.

 

She her heels and sped through the gates, effectively stopping our bickering while we watched her leave us behind.

O-okay then... Were we supposed to follow her or something? I sure as hell don't want to and since she didn't say anything, I definitely won't be chasing after her. I was expecting some major scolding or something of the likes. But there she went...Walking... Further away... Did she forget what she was going to say and returned to her lair to plot for more ways to ruin my life. Or maybe she lost her way to the office. Maybe she's suffering from early onset  Alzheimer's. It's not like her to forget things.

Seconds of silence passed before we turned to face each other. His golden name plate caught my eye again, but this time the sun did not blind me.

"So Kyungsoo, eh?"

"What's it to you?" his eyes scanned my chest. ert alert! ert alert! My arms protectively covered my torso and I wriggled myself out of his grasp.

"Where do you think you're looking, ert?!"

He scoffed and raised an eyebrow. Seriously, this boy needs to stop with that bad boy attitude. I've already seen your nice side, boy, no need to try and act cool. I hissed at him when I saw him look me over and scoff. SCOFF.

Well, excuuuse me for not having a model body. I enjoy my sweets as much as my nonexistent cat loves his naps. "You don't even have anything worth looking at," he said matter-of-factly.

Why this little piece of sh-...I'm going to smack you and bury you six feet under, ALIVE.

"Look here, ert-" I raised my fist  but before I could inflict some serious damage, the annoying P.A System interrupted me.

BEEP.

 

BEEP.

 

BEEP.

 

DO KYUNGSOO AND YOON JIN HEE-HAKSAENG. PLEASE REPORT TO THE DISCIPLINE OFFICE THIS INSTANT.

 

BEEP.

 

Great. Just great.

 

"You and me later, ert Soo," I threatened him and gave him the 'I've-got-my-eyes-on-you' sign before hobbling away towards the office. It didn’t work out as I imagined, though. He quickly caught up with my uneven and labored steps.

Grandmama, please take me with you. I really can't stand another day in this hell hole. I just really hope Mrs. Choi's teeny bifocals weren't functioning properly...or something.

After a couple minutes of painful walking (I didn't really mind, the pain and probably major scars will go away soon) , we finally arrived at the door labeled DISCIPLINE OFFICE. I gulped. This door had always been so familiar to me. It had welcomed me on my first day and soon became my daily hangout. I didn't go willingly of course. I tried to play hooky, but somehow, the varnished wooden door had managed to lure me in and trap me inside. Look on the bright side, I told myself, at least you’re not alone this time.

I’m taking you down with me, ert Soo.

Mrs. Choi wasn't such a monster in the beginning either. She was as sweet as sugar on the day I transferred. She even let me eat one of her precious mint candies from her ultra-thick glass jar.

She left to take care of my uniform malfunction (they gave me a small instead of a medium- I mean come on, winter break equals never ending consumption of carbs and hibernation). So I was alone... in her office. With a jar full of addictive mints and a beautiful shiny button. Have I ever mentioned how much I love shiny objects? Well I do. A LOT. If you were to come to school showered with glitter and all things shiny, I will love you... Forevermore.

Anyways, my obsession aside, the button truly enticed me. It beckoned at me from a distance, glinting slightly from the sunlight as dust motes gracefully waltzed upon it. I observed it from afar, then I inched closer and slightly hovered my finger above it.

I was planning on just playing around with it. I was just planning on giving it a little wipe. I was most definitely not planning on pressing it.

BEEP.

 

BEEP.

 

BEEP.

 

Oh god, what do I do. Mrs. Choi is going to kill me. What do I do. Someone heeeelp. There was nothing else to do but remain silent. They'll probably think it was a technological glitch. Right?

Catch Me, Girl!

 

Catch Me Now!

 

Catch me if you wanna

 

Catch me if you wanna

 

C-C-C-C-Catch me if you

Oh kill me now. My phone proudly blared out TVXQ's Catch Me and my best friend's mischievous face flashed up on the screen. Swipe left to answer. Oh yes, I'll be swiping left alright, but not to answer.

Kim Jongin, I will murder your sorry .

Catch me if you wanna

 

Catch me if you wanna

 

"YOON JIN HEE. LET GO OF THAT BUTTON RIGHT NOW!"

I kept my finger on it, afraid to let go and cause more disturbance.

Catch Me, Girl!

Mrs. Choi had to yank my finger away from the button and scolded me profusely.

Catch Me Now!

And that my beautiful people, is how I broke one of the many "firsts" in Seoul Special Academy.

"Yoon Jin Hee! Are you even paying attention?"

Uh-oh. "Yes....?"

She sighed. "I warned you, Ms. Yoon, I tried my best with you."

"I know Mrs. Choi, thank-"

"Not a word, Jin Hee," she dismissed me with a weary wave of her hand, "take a seat both of you." We did, albeit reluctantly. An ominous feeling settled over me. What if she kicks me out or something? I doubt any other school will accept me at this time of the year.

She shifted her focus onto ert Soo and her whole demeanor changed. Mrs. Choi smiled. People, she smiled. Goosebumps immediately formed on my arms and I could feel an oncoming shudder. This is serious.

"Kyungsoo-yah, how is your apartment hunting coming along?"’

ert Soo immediately turned his side to me and bowed at Mrs. Choi. "I haven't had luck yet, Mrs. Choi. It seems that every possible apartment is occupied."

Mrs. Choi nodded understandably. Mhm, something's up. I am not liking these gestures...

"Perfect. Yoon Jin Hee owns a three bedroom unit."

 

I furrow my eyebrows, not liking the fact that my casa was mentioned.

"Use hers."

I choked on spit and nearly swallowed my tongue. Whoa there, hold it.

"You're going to be expelled unless you agree to house him."

"Excuse me? That's fuc--freaking ridiculous!" I got up from my seat as my anger rose.

This is ABSURD.

Who in their right mind would force a student to live with a total stranger?! And this stranger happens to be a ert!

ert Soo stared back and forth between me and the woman that wants to expel me. His big eyes seemed to grow larger by the second as I focused all my anger at him. How come he’s not in trouble too?

It's not fair really- that I'm getting angry at ert Soo and the very fact that I'm going to be freaking expelled. Although confused at first, ert Soo also began to glare at me--subtly at first but we soon had a childish war. Nostril flaring may or may not have been included.

"If my memory serves me right, Jin Hee," Mrs. Choi went on, obviously undisturbed by my outburst, "that condo that you reside in belongs to our academy."

Drat. My shoulders sagged but I was still determined to win this battle.

 

"He's a ert, Mrs. Choi! He's a stranger. He's a HE, for god's sake! Don't you care for my well-being? What if he me?" I saw her purse her lips briefly. This is it, people, she's going to see my point. She won't--

 

"Do Kyungsoo is from an esteemed family, Jin Hee. I highly doubt that someone with a better upbringing than you will inflict harm on others. Now that you mention the dangers, I fear for Kyungsoo's safety in your presence."

...

Did you guys hear that? Yes? That's my jaw dropping on the floor. What the hell?

"The ?!" I shot out of my seat, not bothering to censor my language, and nearly threw my bag at the woman in front of me. A strong grip on my wrist pulled me back. "Let go of me. This is all your fault!" I growled at ert Soo. He let out a sigh and released me.

"I'm really sorry for causing trouble, Mrs. Choi, but I don't think this is the right thing to do. Ms. Jin Hee is clearly uncomfortable. Moreover, I don't like to be accused of being a ... or a ert for that matter."

Ok. So maybe I went a little overboard with my rant. I felt my cheeks heat up at my choice of words earlier. They were no better than Mrs. Choi's.

Mrs. Choi sat unfazed behind her enormous table. Her claws were folded neatly in front of her. I shifted tensely on my seat as silence once again engulfed us.

"I will not take no for an answer, Jin Hee. Either take in Kyungsoo or you will be expelled. It was written on the contract you signed that we have control over the occupants of the condo."

I gritted my teeth and swallowed my pride. Adults are horrible. I will never be an adult.

 

"I understand Mrs. Choi," I mumbled, "I'll be sure to be a wonderful company for Do Kyungsoo."

She rolled her eyes. She knew I didn't have a choice. "Very well then. You are dismissed, Jin Hee. Go to class, you're already very late."

 

I scoffed. Tell me something I don't already know, demon woman. "Well then, if you would please both excuse me, I have a class to attend." I mock bowed and sauntered out of the room.

Lee Hyemi pounced a nanosecond after my buttocks touched my assigned chair. The pen I barely freed from the confines of my pencil case jumped from my grasp and rolled away.

"Not cool, dude," I said as I d the floor. That pen is too cute to be lying on the cold hard floor.

"What took you so long?"

"I--" I began but Hyemi's motor just hit 80 miles per hour.

"Are you in trouble?"

"N--"

"Who was that boy with you? Do you know him? Where’d you meet him?"

"Per--"

 

"Is he your boyfriend?"

 

"Wait no nevermind. That’s impossible. I mean you probably scared him away. You’re really scary sometimes. A bit of a prude, too."

 

"Hey!"

"He's hot! Can you introduce me to him? Or maybe--"

Okay, that is it. One more word and you die, woman! I slammed my hand on the desk and took a deep breath.

"Enough, motormouth. I am ing annoyed."

 

Hyemi's lips contorted into a pout and her big eyes started to moisten with pre-tears. Oh god. Here comes the water works. "B-b-but," she blubbered. Nearly half the males in the classroom sent me death glares. How dare I make their princess cry?

Pft. Please.

"Shut up, Hyemi. That won't work on me," I droned. I rested my chin atop my right palm and stared out the window to my left instead. Second period has yet to start. Mr. Ju, our biology teacher, is always late.

"Tch, fine, be a ," I heard her mutter before stomping away. Girl, are you in first grade or what?

Don't get me wrong, Hyemi is my friend... Friend... No, actually that word means we like each other. Ok, so Hyemi and I are acquaintances.

We met when I was serving detention for the food fight I "started".

I swear I didn't throw the damn piece of meat. The chicken was still alive! Nevertheless, there I was, scrubbing the music department's hallways on my hands and knees.

In my anger, I might have put more than the recommended amount of wax on the floor because all of a sudden, a girl comes whooshing past, mouth agape, perfectly curled hair flying all over her face... then her met the floor. She was skidding all over the place, her skirt soggy with an absurd amount of wax.

Of course I, being the fabulous person that I was, began to laugh at her. It was all there people, knee slapping and tummy grabbing. That is, until she tried to anchor herself to me... and the rest is too embarrassing to even remember.

When we finally contained our giggling selves, I was expecting some sort of ing. But the girl smiled and told me I was “awesome”- her words not mine, peeps. That’s how fab I am.

Since then, unfortunately, she'd been following me around claiming that I was her best friend.

I flopped down on my desk and pulled out my phone. I guess I still need some kind of ally in this messed up world--even if she's annoying.

To: Hyemi

 

I don't freaking know him. He helped me when I hurt myself.

That is all.

 

I clicked "send" and proceeded to bang my forehead against the desk.

***

This is it. This is my end. Quick, someone shoot me. I leaned over the ledge of my balcony and screamed. I hate people. People hate me. See? It's a mutual HATE relationship. I have no intention of changing it- ever. So please just end my life. Right now.

I leaned over the ledge of my balcony and screamed, but a hand stopped my pie hole from making more dying whale noises.

"Won't you stop it?"

"No. off," I shrugged his hand away and kept screaming.

"Geez, are you always this stubborn?"

I felt a tug on my jacket but I kept my eyes shut and my arms flushed against my sides. AHHHHHHHHH-

 

"UWAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

I swiveled around at the sound. ert Soo was screaming beside me, hands tightly gripping the steel railing. He stopped and smiled.

"Hey, if you can't beat them, join them."

I socked his arm as hard as I could and walked back inside. Why join people that don't accept who you truly are?