nine

Crimson Nightingale

"Hyung, is she okay?" 

Jin Hee kept shaking on her bed. Her tanned complexion had taken on a blueish hue and her skin was cold to the touch. But it was strange... Not that her temperature and sudden fainting wasn't strange... No, it was strange because given the freezing temperature she was emitting, she seemed to  be boiling. There's really no other way for me to put this in a way that would make sense. It seems impossible for me as well, but as Jongin and I watched her writhe and claw at the blankets we piled on her, we came to a conclusion that she was indeed burning

"I swear to god I didn't touch her!" 

 He was the last one to have contact with her before she fell unconscious in the midst of some kind of seizure. I turned to look at Jongin, his face contorted in pain and confusion. Mine probably wasn't a far-cry from his. We're both stumped and stupidly hoping that everything will be alright in the end. 

"I don't know, Jongin. You and I both saw her get surprised and the next thing we know she was unconscious and would have cracked her skull if you weren't fast enough." 

Jin Hee saw Kai teleport and took a few steps forward before her body plummeted down. Thankfully, Jongin reacted quickly and managed to catch her before she crashed. He teleported her in her bedroom and I followed after him.

"Should... Hyung, do you think we should notify-"

"No. There's something strange going on here." I looked around her room and took note of the messy clothes and items laying carelessly around. 

"To hell with strange, hyung! My best friend is dying!"

Rage laced Jongin's words and shimmers of black sparked from his body. I can tell the poor boy was holding back his powers to teleport. I sighed and edged closer to Jin Hee. 

She was sweating bullets, her thin pajama clothes were stuck to her skin like glue, her dark hair plastered to her forehead and neck. It wasn't until I was an arm's length away from her when she began to whimper and the stench of burning flesh reached my nose. 

My heart pounded and I quickly hovered over her and tried to gently lift her head despite the bites of her freezing skin. A pained hiss escaped Jin Hee's chapped lips. 

"ert Soo! Please! No! Get them away from me!" she cried as she tried to sink deeper into the mattress, her skin coated with a light sheen of sweat. I bit the inside of my cheeks to keep myself from cursing, the sight of Jin Hee in so much pain hurting me more than I expected. This girl here had been nothing but grouchy and sour at me, but she didn't deserve the pain she's going through right now. I wanted nothing more than to be in her place instead and spare her. 

Oh. That's right. I can help her with my core energy, I thought. Jongin shifted beside me and I felt his core energy pulsating as well. "Jongin, I'm going to try and wake her up with my core," I said hurriedly, my words stumbling over each other. He looked at  me with wide eyes, but any protests he may have had died from his lips when Jin Hee let out a pained gasp. 

"Jin Hee! It's alright! You're okay, you're okay," I reassured her. I grasped both of her arms tightly as I inhaled deeply to connect my core with hers. Although humans are weak, they have a small core inside of them that have not disappeared over the years. Once upon a time they used to have a core as big as ours and were able to perform extraordinary magic, but years of disbelieving and hating anything supernatural has caused theirs and the future generations' cores to shrink. Luckily, though, a small, bean-like core energy remained and that's what I'm trying to connect to. But I really needed for her to calm down. 

"You're alright, okay? Please open your eyes," I begged. Jongin had his finger on her neck, monitoring her pulse. I felt Jin Hee's core slightly respond to mine and seized the chance to get through. 

"Jin Hee? Can you hear me? Please try to open your eyes. You're just having a nightmare," I said out loud while channeling bursts of energy through my hold on her. A really awful nightmare, but I promise I'll get to the bottom of it. 

I felt a pop then a light sensation leaving my body and that's when I knew I've managed to break through whatever barrier was surrounding her. 

"I don't know if you can feel me, but try to grab on my energy, alright?" 

Her fear and confusion ebbed into our link. Yes, Jin Hee! It's me. Please reach out to me.

"Please, Jin Hee! I'll help you fight the darkness, okay? Trust me, please!"

Jongin gasped and nudged my shoulder forcefully, the impact caused my grip to loosen.

"God damn it, Jong-"

"Hyung! I don't think it's working! Her heart beat's slowing down!"

Oh crap! How can I be such an idiot? I forgot that too much exposure will kill a human. I hurriedly retracted my hands, leaving just enough energy for her to recover with. 

As soon as our link broke, Jin Hee's temperature began to settle back to normal, and her ragged breathing gradually evened with each puff. Jongin slumped against me, his tanned body coated with beads of cold sweat. I looked down at my clammy palms, feeling depleted but successful. 

"What do you think happened?" asked Jongin after some time. He brushed Jin Hee's dark hair away from her forehead. I swatted his annoyingly large hand away and took over tidying up my roommate. He was just messing up her hair even more

"Like I said before, I don't know. But I'll try to find out later tonight, or right now if you can teleport me to Mrs. Choi."

He noticeably turned a shade of red and looked away. "I ... I don't have much control over my power, hyung," he confessed, "I only found out I had them a week before you showed up." 

Okay, now this is also strange. 

"What do you mean you just found out?"

"I just found out that I'm not a normal human being a week ago, hyung."

He shook his head and looked at me with a lopsided smirk. "The 'dad' that I lived with was attacked last week and I guess it triggered something in me because next thing I know I was traveling through empty space and landing on my bed... A city away." 

I let the silence settle in for a minute or so before I hesitatingly asked, "And... your... dad?"

"Dead," he answered, "I found out he died, torn to bits and pieces, when I headed downstairs an hour or two after teleporting. His... limbs... and yeah... were strewn all over the first floor like some kind of decoration."

"I'm-"

"Sorry? Yeah me too. But there's nothing we can do about it. Mrs. Choi showed up a couple of minutes later and disposed of my dad's dismembered body." 

"Did you tell Jin Hee?"

"That I'm a freak from outer space sent here to fulfill some kind of prophecy? No. Plus, it's not like she would've believed me anyway." There was a tightness in his voice telling me that he was not okay as he pretended to be. The slightly glazed stare of his gave away his pain. 

"I think you're underestimating your friend." I slung an arm over his hunched shoulders. "I'm sure she would've understood. I'm sorry for bringing up something painful, Jongin. But how much do you know about... us?"

"Just a little bit of where we came from and why we're here."

"Yeah? Tell me more."

My breath hitched and I felt Jongin stiffen beside me as well. We simultaneously looked down at the once unconscious girl on the bed only to find her glaring at us. 

I've never been so relieved in my entire life to be glared at, I muttered to myself. 

"Jin Hee! What happened to you? How are you feeling?" asked Jongin. He flailed his arms around and tried to help Jin Hee sit up only to be whacked away as she proceeded to labor by herself. 

"I'm not disabled, Kim Jongin, I can get up by myself."

A scoff escaped my lips but I soon disguised it as a cough when the daggers from her eyes changed their target. 

"How are you feeling, Jin Hee?" I asked. She still looked visibly shaken and was sweating a lot. Probably hiding whatever she experienced underneath her attitude. 

"Better than awhile ago, that's for sure," she hissed. 

Yeah thanks to me.I put my hands up in surrender and shook my head.

"Well you're awake and still as y as ever so you're definitely better," said Jongin. He patted her head softly and smiled. 

"Who are you two really?"

Jin Hee looked both of us squarely in the eyes. She let her gaze linger on mine a second longer before she switched to Jongin.

"You're not humans... No, you can't be humans. I saw you teleport, Jongin, and I'm sure ert Soo was the one responsible for that mini earthquake."

"I think... I think that Kyungsoo hyung would be able to explain much better than me," replied Jongin, breaking eye contact with his fiery friend. He played with his fingers with his head down. 

"Well then, why don't you explain, Kyungsoo?"

My heart began to pound at the sound of my name. Wait. Why am I getting nervous? Shaking my head, I settled comfortably on the chair across her bed.

"We're from the planet EXO, E-X-O," I began. "I was sent here with no memories of our home planet. I was instructed to find the energy source for our planet which was sent here long ago by the Great Creators. As you have witnessed, we inhabitants of EXO are gifted with supernatural abilities. There used to be many of us spread all over the galaxy, learning from different planets, merely coexisting in peace, but the numbers dwindled as years passed by. Now there are barely left in planet Earth alone, Jongin and I included."  

I looked up from my narration and saw both Jin Hee and Jongin focused on my every word. 

Sigh

"We've also been told that there is a great force of Evil in our planet that's trying to break through the Inner Realms." 

"Whoa, wait a minute hyung. Mrs. Choi did not mention that!"

"Mrs. Choi?! She's part of this, this E-X-O?!" asked Jin Hee. Her eyes widened and she exclaimed with a snap, "I knew she wasn't human! That evil--" 

I cleared my throat loudly and gave her a hard look. "Mrs. Choi is our caretaker, she's our guardian here in Planet Earth. It is thanks to her that I am alive and well."

"No wonder you have such an attitude," she muttered, trying to avoid my glare. 

"Attitude? Attitude? Me? Are you sure you're not talking about yourself, you ungrateful--"

"Ungrateful? How am I ungrateful? And this is the attitude I'm talking about!"

"Enough you two! You're both older than me, but you're both so childish!" whined Jongin, "Besides, hyung was the one that saved you, Jin-jin! Say thank you!"

"What?! I have to say thanks to this ert?"

"Yoon Jin Hee, you are better than this."

"But--"

Jongin half-growled, half-groaned and Jin Hee huffed in defeat. "Fine.Thank you."

"I'm sorry, what?" I teased, not wanting to accept her thanks easily. 

"Thankyouforsavingme," she mumbled. She blew a raspberry and rolled her eyes. "Though I don't know what you did. All I saw was a stupid glowing rock." 

A glowing...rock? "Jin Hee, say that again?" I asked. She pouted and crossed her arms. "Stop making me say thank you already, damn it!" 

"No, no. You said something about a rock?"

She paused from her whining and cocked her head at me. "Yeah, a glowing rock about the size of my head. Does that still count as a rock? It was like a mini boulder that was all glow-y and there were like these little particles floating around it really fast." 

Jongin gaped at her in shock and widened his eyes at me. She can see energies?!

"Y-yoon Jin Hee..." began Jongin. 

"Are you sure you're human?" I finished. 

 

 

 


Hello! I haven't edited the last two chapters yet, so please pardon my mistakes. I just want to post them up quickly since I feel guilty for leaving you all hanging for so long ; _; 

Please comment and subscribe!

-Dani.