New School

Divine Intervention

Kyungsoo wandered around the corridors for a while, bumping into some students here and there. He managed a small smile sometimes. He knew he never socialized well. With luck, he would end up being with the geeks again. At that thought, Kyungsoo groaned mentally. He continued scouting for the Main Office. 

After walking like a lost sheep for a while, Kyungsoo noticed something common with all of the students he had seen so far - they were all, unbelievably perfect. He was seriously, not kidding. They looked they had some divine blood in them that made them so aesthetically pleasing. A girl gave him a cute smile. He couldn't help but smile back. 

Soon after, he found the Office. There was a lady sitting at the counter. The air-conditioning made it feel totally different from the outside. "Good afternoon." he greeted, "I'm looking for Miss Kwon. Is she possibly in?" The lady gave him a smile. Kyungsoo noticed how her teeth were all perfect. "Well hello, I am Miss Kwon."

The lady stood up and shook his hand. "Full name is Kwon Boa. Principal of this school. You must be Do Kyungsoo?" she said. Kyungsoo nodded his head and replied, "Yes I am. How do you know?" Miss Kwon laughed and said, "There's so little people to look out for nowadays, our student enrol list is getting smaller. You're the first one in months!" Kyungsoo must have looked shocked because Miss Kwon assured him, "It's okay. Here, you'll learn lots of things okay?"

He nodded. Miss Kwon turned behind for a while, humming a song to herself. "Aha." A second later, she held a bunch of keys in his face. "These, are yours from now on." "Okay." Kyungsoo gulped, before looking at the principal and taking the keys. "The green one is your room key, the silver one is your locker key. The black and yellow ones... Well, I think you will find out in time."

"Thank you..." he said, jiggling the keys in his hands. Miss Kwon did strike him as sort of weird. Her eyes were grey, like storm clouds. But she was still nice. "Oh yes. Your room is 110. It's up the staircase next to here, turn left and you should be able to find your room. Your schedule is on your study table. Anything else?" She looked at him, smiling.

"You're pretty cool," was all Kyungsoo could say. But he meant it. She reminded him of his aunt. Miss Kwon looked quite taken aback, as if she never heard that comment before. "Well... Why thank you! No one ever tells that to me. They say I am too much a book-worm," Miss Kwon beamed. "Now go along." Kyungsoo bowed again before making his way out of the Office.

After a few minutes, he found his room. Unlocking it, he dragged his luggage in and locked the door before turning around. He gasped (aloud). The view was amazing. The glass windows stretched from one end of the living room to the other and there was a balcony outside with a comfortable looking sofa/swing.

The living room was pretty large, with a flat screen television and sofas and lots of fur rugs. This school must be rich. After gawking for a while, Kyungsoo went to check out the bedroom. It was a canopied bed. Wheeew. Nice. And it had a nice view of the field below. He lay on his bed for a while. Then he remembered to text his mother. 

Mum I'm at school already. The place is nice so far and the principal's funny. See you soon:)

Quickly snapping a photo of the room, he sent it to his mother as well. Kyungsoo felt a little excited for some unknown reason. The bed was pretty comfortable. Reluctantly, he got up and unpacked his luggage. After an hour or so, his luggage was clean. Walking around the dorm, he made a mental checklist of things he had put. 

After making sure all his study material were in place, Kyungsoo went to check his schedule. As Miss Kwon said, it was on the study table outside. Lit, history, math, aesthetics (yay) and more. But the problem was, it was all at night, starting at 8.00pm. It was 3.00pm. He almost tripped over a rug. "What?" he stared hard at the timetable. But there didn't seem to be any printing error. The latest time in the whole week was 4.00am. What. There was something wrong with this school. No wonder the students all seemed so free.

Ah this, I don't care. I wanna explore right now, Kyungsoo thought irritatedly. And he did.

Within a few minutes, he found himself wandering in a garden. Some students were sleeping on the grass and some were playing badminton. Two grey wolves lay in the shade of a large tree. Wow, they have wolves, he thought amusedly to himself. And he continued walking. He spotted a group of people walking around. The tallest guy had blonde hair and he seemed to be staring at... him. And he smirked.

Uh-oh. Kyungsoo thought, Pe-do must be the top of the ladder. Suddenly, someone grabbed him ffrom behind. Before he even had time to scream or yell, he found himself sitting on a bench at another end of the park. He was quite sure grass was surrounding him just now. "Are you crazy?" a guy's voice asked angrily next to him.

Kyungsoo turned around and nearly jumped in shock, because there was a boy slightly younger than him glaring at him. His bangs covered most of his eyes but Kyungsoo could see the angry light coming out from them. "Whoa whoa whoa you still didn't need to kidnap me right? And how the heck did we get here?" Kyungsoo asked, looking right back at the guy.

The guy huffed and sat down next to him, "You're impossible." "You still haven't answered my question." "Are you new here?" Kyungsoo nodded absent-mindedly at that question. "That explains why..." the guy muttered. Kyungsoo looked at him curiously, "Why? What? Who are they?" The younger boy just shook his head and stood up. "Nothing. J-just keep out of their way. And I really advise you, leave this school while you still can."

"Wait wait wait. What is-" Before Kyungsoo could ask, the guy shimmered like a mirage and disappeared, leaving a thousand or more questions stuck on his tongue. Why does this school start lessons so late? What do you all do during the day? And... What's your name?

 

------

 

Kyungsoo had nothing better to do, so he returned to his room and fell asleep. His dark dream world dissolved into white light. Kyungsoo heard voices speaking to each other. 

"Kyungsoo." a lady's voice that sounded oddly familiar said. "Who are you?" he asked, covering his eyes from the blinding white light. "You will know in time. I just wanted you to know, you will feel confused and angry, but at the end of the day, you will the victor. You have many great challenges to come, Kyungsoo, but you have a strong heart."

"How do you know?" he asked again. She spoke, "The Fates have decreed this, Kyungsoo. However, I can assure you, you will gain a lot of trust from people, and lastly you will gain love." Kyungsoo felt bewildered, love? "That's all. Wake up soon, your dinner is at 6.00." And the dream faded.

------

Until dinner time, Kyungsoo thought the school was very peaceful. Now, as he slipped quietly between the students, it was the opposite. Though the canteen was decorated nicely like a hotel's restaurant, the students were the total opposite.

He managed to dodge two boys who were fighting. The girls weren't normal flirty girls at all, they seemed extremely flirty and... Well disgusting. A group of girls looked at him with their kohl lined eyes. What seemed the leader gave him a smile, though Kyungsoo wasn't oblidged to smile back like the cute girl earlier on.

The worst thing? Kyungsoo felt really small. He was alone in this weird place and he must have stuck out like a sore thumb. A guy with mohawk hairstyle eyed him as if he were some prey. Kyungsoo instantly turned in the other direction and walked away. The guy's silver contact lenses were freaking him out anyway.

This place didn't feel natural, nope. Not at all. There was some weird 'magic' in the air. Don't judge him, it just felt like that. Kyungsoo kept his head low and sneaked throughout the canteen to the stalls to get a snack. He was not hungry anyway.

After getting a sausage bun, Kyungsoo escaped to a quiet corner of the canteen where only few guys were talking. "... I hate them," One of the guys said. "Yeah, they made Woohyun go mad. Idiot Hyunseung. Just because he's Dionysus' son doesn't mean he can go around messing with people's minds!" The guy beside him hissed angrily.

A guy who seemed not much older than Kyungsoo put an arm on the guy's back. Kyungsoo noticed he had eyes that were tinged slightly yellow. He quickly gulped down the bread, not sure what to make sure of he had heard. Dionysus? Wasn't he a Greek god? Why were they talking as if he were real? But he kept quiet and continued listening.

"Calm down, Himchan. You don't want them after us... At least they didn't kill Woohyun," The guy muttered, looking down. The boy called Himchan glared at him and balled his fists, "When are we going to break out of this stupid fear?! They have tortured our clan for so long! Daehyun can't walk, now Woohyun is driven insane! Yongguk is beside himself crying. How long more, Sunggyu? How long?!"

Sunggyu looked afraid and half angry. Kyungsoo thought he was going to lash out at the young boy. He kept his eyes on his bread, a little scared to say anything. "We are not powerless, you know. We have the Great Mother and Hecate for help. If we can gather all the clans, we can-" Sunggyu shot the other boy a sharp look. "L-look. I can't afford to... Lose another one of you."

Kyungsoo detected that the guy was on the verge of tears by his shaky voice. Gee, whoever did all those to them sounded really bad. But he was angry too, who did they think they were? Just then, Himchan's head tilted towards the canteen. "Something's wrong," he decided. Kyungsoo looked at his direction. Sure enough, There were people streaming towards the center.

Sunggyu listened carefully and made a face. He said, "Ugh. They're doing something again." "Those es." The last guy growled. "Let's go see what's happening." And they walked away quickly. Curious, Kyungsoo threw away his wrapper and followed them.

As he neared the place, he heard a loud cry of pain, followed by a loud explosion sound. "What are you going to do now, huh? Pipsqueak," A guy said menacingly. Kyungsoo peered over a girl's shoulder. It was that tall blonde haired guy he saw the other day and a girl with red hair and a boy.  A small boy was lying on the floor, and blood was coming out of his shoulder and mouth. 

"Your powers are pathetic, Sehun." the guy laughed. The Sehun boy coughed and spat blood at his face, eyes burning in anger. For a moment, no one spoke. Kyungsoo was quite sure that Sehun had just issued a death coupon upon himself. He flicked his eyes between Sehun and the tall guy. The guy had a cold look on his face. He just stared back at Sehun. 

Just then, Sehun yelled loudly and jumped up onto his feet. Kyungsoo could only see him spin in a circle and a strong gust of wind threw him backwards into a table. There were lots of screeching and shouting in that moment. Kyungsoo dodged a flying pen and squinted his eyes while looking up. Sehun was inside a... a... tornado. Kyungsoo made sure he wasn't seeing things. Sehun yelled again and the storm grew bigger. The tall guy looked quite surprised. His friends started backing away. 

"Am I weak now?!" Sehun asked, half shouting. Kyungsoo saw him raise an arm and the tall guy started coughing, like he was choking. Kyungsoo watched it happen in horror. "I think I should kill you off, Kris." Sehun said, tightening the invisible grip around the guy's neck. "The whole school will gladly allow it. You nearly killed my sister. You will pay, Kris." The girl behind Kris looked rather frightened. "Sehun. Stop." she said. "He'll die!"

"He'll gladly watch all of us die! I'm telling you, Krystal! I should kill off all the Demi-gods, one by one, including you." Sehun yelled in anger, still maintaining his whirlwind. Kyungsoo's mind was a mess. What the heck is happening? Why can he just conjure up a whirl wind?! What the heck?! The guy who had been quiet since just now spoke up, "Please, Sehun. Stop." Kris's face was starting to turn pale. Suddenly, Sehun let go of Kris. A flash of bright light instantly lit up the whole canteen and a sickening burning smell filled it.

When the light cleared, Kyungsoo saw Sehun on the ground, lifeless. Kris was giving everyone a dangerous smile like a tiger's. "He's not dead." Kris said loud enough for everyone to hear, "The next time anyone threatens me, or any Demi-god, you will die." He left the threat hanging in the air, and he walked off with his friends. The crowd parted like the red sea for Kris as he walked through. Kyungsoo noticed the guy behind Kris looking at Sehun sadly, like he wanted to help the boy, but he didn't stop walking.

After the trio left, the canteen dispersed, resuming the noisy atmosphere. Kyungsoo looked around, everyone made a big round around Sehun, as if he were a bad omen. Maybe he was. Kyungsoo looked at the poor boy on the floor. He seemed like he was still bleeding. Without any thought, he walked over to the unsconscious boy. His shirt was burnt at the back and he seemed to be having a high fever. Kyungsoo looked around, but no one seemed to be paying any attention to him, or them. 

Sighing, Kyungsoo helped Sehun up. For a teenager, he was lighter than expected. The sun had already set, and lessons were about to start, but Kyungsoo decided to skip them. It was his first day anyway, he should be given time to settle down. Carrying Sehun, he walked out of the canteen. Sehun had started breathing again sometime on the way out, which was a relief, but he wasn't getting any lighter. Kyungsoo was out at the gardens, walking back to his dorm, but he stopped and took in deep breaths. Wow, his stamina has never been this bad.

Then someone tapped him on the back. Kyungsoo turned around and jumped in shock. It was the guy he'd met at the fields that afternoon. "What are you doing here?" Kyungsoo asked suspiciously. He highly suspected that the boy had been stalking him. "Helping you." Then he simply plucked Sehun from his back and walked forward. Kyungsoo stared at him unbelievably. This guy has got some problem, he thought before catching up with him.

"Where are you going?" Kyungsoo asked, catching up with the guy. His bangs swept mysteriously in front of his eyes, covering them. Suddenly Kyungsoo wished that he could see his eyes for some reason. The guy answered as he climbed up a staircase unknown to Kyungsoo, "Putting him in his dorm." "How do you know?" Kyungsoo asked stupidly. Then he realised the guy must have been his friend. He smacked himself mentally and followed after the guy.

After numerous turns, they finally stopped in front of a door. The corridor was empty of people. Kyungsoo peered over the guy's shoulder. "How are you going to open the door? Don't tell me you made a copy of his key." The guy snorted and answered, "No, you idiot. Watch and learn." It turned out Kyungsoo didn't even have to watch. He found himself inside a room a second later. The guy carried Sehun and put him on the sofa. 

"How did you do that?" Kyungsoo asked, staring after the guy in the darkness. He realised with a start that he was taller than him. How annoying. "Do what?" he asked, turning around after putting Sehun down. Kyungsoo said, "The poof-and-appearing thing. And why can he control wind, I'm guessing." He pointed to Sehun. Kai stared back at him for a while. But he turned away and walked into the bathroom, "Can you check on Sehun? His wound is pretty deep."

Kyungsoo wanted to remind him that he hadn't answered his question but he held back his tongue. Sighing, he trudged over the carpets to where Sehun was lying. He turned the boy gently onto his back. The blood had seeped onto the sofa already. He carefully lifted the shirt up and barely could stop himself from screaming. A large patch of the skin was ragged and the flesh still sizzled angrily. He touched Sehun's shoulder and the boy made a weak whine. He instantly retracted his finger. "How is it?" the guy asked. 

Kyungsoo stood up and took a step back, "Very bad, and he has a fever." The guy made a face and said, "Ugh, okay. So... What do we do? I'm quite sure we can't leave him like this. He'll get an infection." Kyungsoo nodded in agreement. "First, get me a wet towel. I'll need to clean up the blood and wound." Moments later, he was handed a wet towel. Kyungsoo bent down and whispered in Sehun's ear, "I don't whether you can hear me, but uh... it's going to hurt." He took the towel and started cleaning it. 

At the first few touches, Sehun flinched really hard. Kyungsoo's motherly skills kicked in. "Shh shh. Just a few minutes and we're done okay?" he whispered soothingly and his head. Under the moonlight, Sehun seemed so weak, unlike the boy who owned Kris for a few minutes about an hour ago. 

Kai looked at the new boy quietly. He seemed so kind, comforting Sehun like that. Everytime Sehun whined, he would stop and whisper something in his ear. At the canteen, he hadn't expected anyone to help Sehun, especially the new kid. If he were new, he should be all the more scared. But no, he just carried up Sehun and walked away like, Hey! I gotta help this injured boy! That was probably the kindest act he'd seen in years in public. Looking at Sehun's weak form, he wanted to kill Kris. Was torturing them so fun?

Afterwards, he turned his attention back to the new boy. There was something nice about the way he smiled. Something soothing. Again, it was so genuine, Kai couldn't believe it. Yet, he couldn't bring himself to tell him about the real story of the school, that all of them had to have supernatural abilities to study here. He didn't want the him to be dragged into the bullying circle. But that depended on which rank he had...

Kai wondered what powers the new boy had. Looking at him, so kind, he was obviously not a warrior. Maybe, a nature spirit? Or maybe... a Demi-god. He shook his head. No no no, he was too nice. But then all of the Demi-gods were once nice too... Then they turned into... Demons. "You okay?" the boy asked, looking at him with his round eyes. "Uhh uhhhh yeah I am," Kai replied instantly. The boy then went back to cleaning up Sehun's wound. 

After a few minutes, he stood up and said, "Done. Can you get me a few dry towels? I need to bandage his wound." Kai nodded and did as he was told. "Help me hold the end." he instructed softly. After lots of trouble turning Sehun, the boy folded down Sehun's shirt and shifted him onto his back. Kai helped him put cushions behind his back while he took a pillow and gently lifted Sehun's head to place it underneath.

Kai stared at him. The boy stood up and turned around, he was about to say something but he stopped and peered at him. "Why are you staring at me?" he asked. "Nothing! Hey, don't spit out stuff randomly," Kai retorted. "Uh huh okay," he answered. There was silence for a while. Then Kai asked, "Where do you want to go?" "I don't know. The gardens?" Kai nodded and concentrated, then they found themselves surrounded by trees.

The boy sat down beneath it, and Kai followed. He took in a deep breath and stared at the listless night sky, void of stars. "You... don't have to go for lessons?" the boy asked. Kai shook his head and answered, "Actually, the teachers don't mind you missing. As long as you complete at least half of the required studying time." "That's new... My previous teachers would probably bite my head off if I were even late for five minutes," the boy said, and then chuckled slightly.

They sat in silence, taking in the cold air that was settling in the night. Then the boy turned towards him and asked, "Actually, I was sort of hoping that you can tell me more about the school..." Kai's heart started thumping wildly. He had to save whatever innocence the boy had remaining. He himself could tell you, he went a little crazy after he found out the truth. He started considering teleporting away again, but the boy grabbed his arm tightly, "And no more disappearing." Ah damn. Busted.

Sighing, Kai played his frayed ends of his jacket. "Are you sure? The truth is dangerous." The boy shrugged and replied, "I don't really care, since I've survived seeing people kidnap me without anything and making tornadoes." Kai looked at the boy, "Look, I'm serious. If you can't accept the truth, the worst scenario is you'll go mad." "Just shut up and tell me."

Kai glared at the boy, who just gave a him a sarcastic smile. "Fine." Kai answered. He hesitated, pondering on what to tell the boy. He looked at him expectantly. "Okay..." Kai breathed uneasily, "This school. Is not the normal mortal ones." The boy snorted, "Figured that out. Students don't kidnap other people." Ignoring him, Kai continued, "Shut up and your theory is wrong. All of us, including you, have to have some divine blood flowing through us." The boy stared at him. "Define, divine." 

"Magic. You have some, I have some, Sehun has some. Everyone," Kai muttered, worried about the boy's reaction. There was silence too long for his liking. "See? I warned you," he said warily, looking at the boy. The boy shook his head and said, much to his surprise, "No no no... There's nothing wrong with that." But he looked troubled and dazed, like he was trying hard to remember something. "Really?" "Yeah."

"Let me guess, your power is teleportation?" he asked, not looking at Kai. Kai nodded, "Sehun controls wind." The other didn't reply. Suddenly, he looked up and asked, "Then what's mine?" Kai shrugged, "Don't ask me about that. All of us don't know what our powers are when we first enter." "Oh." the boy said in a small voice, "How will I know?" "They usually pop up when you're in a dire state. For me, I was running away from some idiots. After I realised I was cornered, my mind went blank and I found myself in another place. But I felt awful afterwards." Kai told him, remembering the stupid Demi-gods, from a few years ago.

The boy nodded, before asking, "I need to ask you something. Who is Kris? Demi-gods? Why do you and Sehun seem to hate them so much?" Ah... Dumb, conceited idiotic spawn of the Gods, he wanted to say, but he bit back his tongue. "You heard of the twelve Olympians? Zeus? Aphrodite? Athena?" he asked. The boy nodded his head, "So is it like Percy Jackson?" Kai scowled, "If only Demi-gods were that nice. No, the truth is, they are really powerful, no doubt. But the end up thinking they are the best, and they misuse their powers on others. Especially that Kris, and Hyunseung."

"Kris is the son of...?"

"Zeus, god of the skies. That's why he can control electricity. I don't think you have seen it, but he can fly too."

"And Hyun- whatever?"

"Son of Dionysus. In some ways, he's worse than Kris. Because his dad can control madness, he can too. But he tends to make people mad. You see, Kris can only hurt you physically. Hyunseung makes you extremely hurt mentally, and it scars you forever."

"Can he make people mad permanently?"

"Why are you so interested?"

"Just answer it."

"I don't really know... It's never happened."

"Okay, thanks. Another question."

"Why do you have so many questions?"

"Shut up. Why are the lessons at night? Why not in the day, like normal schools?"

"Umm... You see, we also have vampires, werewolves and faeries here..."

"I knew it!"

"What do you mean you kno-"

"They cannot be in direct contact with sunlight, right?"

"Yeah. That's correct, so we just help them and have the lessons at night."

"What's your name?"

"Names are dangerous. Don't laugh, boy."

"Seriously, I'm not going to voodoo you or something. I'm Kyungsoo."

"Right. Anyway I can't go on calling you boy. I'm Kai."

 

Kyungsoo nodded. Nice name, he thought. He smiled to himself unknowingly. Then he remembered what Kyungsoo had said. "Hold up. Why did you say you knew it?" he asked, narrowing his eyes suspiciously. Kyungsoo said casually, "Do vampires have yellow eyes?" "Yeah." "Then I've seen some. One's called Sunggyu, then another's Himchan." Kai immediately got a shock of his life. "Not here! Not at night!" he hissed frantically. "Then there's a guy called Yongguk and another called Daehyun."

"Kyungsoo! You're the biggest idiot I've ever seen! Vampires literally rule the dark, apart from werewolves!" Kai half shouted at Kyungsoo while jumping onto his feet. "We have to get out of here." "What's so wrong with it?" Kyungsoo asked, dumbly, standing up later. Kai wanted to smack his face to wake him up, "I told you names have powers!" "And so?"

Suddenly, there was a rush of wind around them. Snarls filled the air. Then the wind stopped and a few guys took form in front of them. Kyungsoo saw the Sunggyu guy and Himchan. The rest he hadn't seen before. "Which one of you dared to call out the names of our clan?" Sunggyu asked coldly. His eyes seemed to glow even more yellow in the dark. Kyungsoo looked at them, stunned. Oh and crap, was the only thing he thought.

Kyungsoo thought it was all, but Sunggyu snarled and opened his mouth, revealing a pair of razor sharp incisors. "So, you're an idiot." Kai finished off.

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: How was it?