Inflorescence Emergence

Alstroemeria

It was Hongki’s third day in the ward. He was almost bored to tears. The past three days had just been sleep, tests after tests, eat, sleep and repeat. His movement was limited by his dislocated shoulder and fractured shin, which means not moving around freely and no video games. All he could do was conceptualize songs in his head but that was about the most he could do. To add to Hongki’s dismay, Jonghoon hadn’t visit since the first time he came.

 

But unlike other days, Hongki was in rather high spirits because Jonghoon said would be visiting today. He was all prepared to hum this new melody he composed during his stay. Who knows, maybe they could collaborate and come up with a song, their song. The thought of it sent Hongki spinning.

 

“Ding!” Hongki’s phone rang, signaling a new text.

 

Hey my dear, I’m sorry I can’t make it today either. I had something on last minute. Please forgive me alrighty? I swear I’ll be there tomorrow! Love, hoonie.

 

Hongki’s eyebrows furrowed as his eyes scanned through the text. His anger built up as each second passed. The blanket in his palm scrunched up as he tightened his fist. He was pissed. First, Jonghoon was not spending enough time with him. Second, Jonghoon gave Hongki false hope and end up breaking his promise. Why did I even spend so much time thinking about him when he obviously doesn’t care about me?

 

Just then, Seunghyun and Minhwan walked through the doors with fruit baskets and gifts from the fans in their hands. The bright grins on their faces disappeared when they sensed Hongki’s anger. After placing the gifts on the side table that was already full with presents, the two settled on the couch beside Hongki’s bed.

 

“What’s wrong, hyung?” Seunghyun, the more direct of the two, broke the silence.

 

“Hoonie. He’s wrong. Do you know where the heck he is?” Hongki spat.

 

“I’m not sure, hyung, but I heard him speak to his friend Seungri. They seem to be on good terms lately,” Minhwan stuttered, taken aback by Hongki’s raging fire. He had never seemed so furious before.

 

“Seungri eh? Tell him he can be with him for as long as he wants and not bother about his 9-year friend who is lying in the hospital.” Hongki taunted, the flames of anger raging deep within him. There was, undeniably, a tinge of jealousy mixed in too.

 

“Calm down, hyung. He said he’ll be here tomorrow to celebrate your discharge. I think he’s prepared something special for you too. And more good news, Manager-hyung said you’ll have 2 months worth of rest and recuperation!” Seunghyun tried his best to sound happy and energetic despite the dampened mood in the ward.

 

Something special? Hongki raised his eyebrows at that. The butterflies returned. He couldn’t help but feel excited. The edge of his lips twitched. He bit on it instantly to conceal the fact that he was cheered up by the sole fact that Jonghoon prepared something for him. His dongsaengs were here after all. Speakng of dongsaengs, where was Jaejin?

 

“How about Jaejin?” Hongki questioned, in a lighter tone,

 

“Ah, Jaejin hyung’s busy with his musical practices. He’s been working hard, 10am to 10pm daily. Looks like he’s really into this,” Minhwan reported matter-of-factly. Both the maknaes heaved a sigh of relief as their hyung seemed to have cooled down.

 

“That kid, always working his off,” Hongki responded, disappointed by Jaejin’s absence. Things would have been more fun with him around. Oh well, he has a life too, Hongki thought to himself.

 

Seunghyun and Minhwan stayed for a bit longer before bidding goodbye to leave for a radio interview. The ward returned to its default silence after they left. Hongki’s eyelids drooped as he stared into space, wondering what he was going to do for 2 months. Before he knew it, Hongki was snoring soundly on the bed, slouched.

 

*****

 

He should be asleep by now. Jaejin referred to his monochrome Addidas watch. 10:17pm. Jaejin made his way to Hongki’s ward, his back hunched slightly as usual. A fresh stalk of yellow flower stuck out of his left hand.

 

Jaejin stabilized his breath before pushing the ward door open as gently as he could so as to not awake Hongki. He was right, Hongki was slumped on the hospital bed, his chest rose and fell peacefully. Jaejin’s eyes took a moment to adjust to the darkness of the ward. With the minimal light coming from the machines and through the blinds of the window, he could make out Hongki’s nose, eyes, mouth and Adam’s apple. The partially unconscious Hongki looked so peaceful and admirable. One couldn’t imagine the amount of energy this person possessed.

 

Jaejin chuckled to himself softly in the dark. He walked over to the vase on the side table and inserted the single stalk into the cluster of flowers he put in over the past nights. All of the same species, but differently colored. His gentle gaze landed on Hongki once again. How can a person be so perfectly imperfect? Jaejin sub-consciously thought to himself. Even when shrouded by darkness, he still shines so bright. A smitten smile crept up Jaejin’s delicate face. He reached his hand out, swiping the blond streaks of –

 

Jaejin stopped in his tracks. He quickly retracted his hand into the pocket of his jacket. Nope, not the right thing to do. Jaejin paced backwards, and slid out of the ward gracefully. With brisk steps, he headed back to their apartment with a satisfied smile on his face. He was getting better at this.

 


Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! ^^ What was Jaejin getting better at? XD Look forward to the next chapter!