Primordia

Alstroemeria

Hongki’s eyeballs moved around under his eyelids. He tried to open his eyes but the bright rays of light stabbed his retinas. There’s this constant throbbing feeling in his head; he can’t get it out. When he tried to move his hand to his forehead, he found that his muscles were far too weak to do even the simplest of tasks. He tried to move other parts of his body – nope, too weak to do anything.

 

Fear struck in Hongki’s heart. What’s happening? Where -

 

A warm sensation spread across Hongki’s right shoulder. It brought a calming effect. Hongki stopped struggling and allowed himself to relax. Regaining his senses and orientation, Hongki’s mind alerted him that he was currently lying on some kind of soft mattress, and that someone was trying to talk to him. The slurred mumbles and buzzing slowly turned into concerned, caring words.

 

“Hyung, hyung, are you alright? Can you hear me?” The soothing voice whispered.

 

Hongki’s eyes fluttered open despite the temporary pain. Jaejin’s speaking, dark brown eyes, delicate, sharp nose and disheveled copper brown hair came into focus. His brows are furrowed; his ever distinct and slightly pouty lips apart, eyes firing mixed signals of anxiety, worry, ecstasy and concern. He was almost pouncing onto Hongki.

 

Behind him were rows of parallel, white lights. Light blue walls, the continuous beeping sound, the strange smell of sanitizers. I’m in a hospital?

 

Jaejin muttered again, “H-hyung, are you okay? Can you speak? Do you need water?”

 

A grateful smile spread across Hongki’s face, causing his dried lips to split. Hongki continued peering into Jaejin’s contorted expression. He started chuckling, only to choke on his saliva and go into a coughing fit.

 

Jaejin, ignorant of the reason why Hongki was coughing uncontrollably, started to panic. His contorted features became even more squashed up with worry. At a loss, Jaejin rose to his feet and prepared to call the doctor in. Just then, Hongki raised his hand with all his newly regained might and tugged at Jaejin’s wrist. With a husky voice, punctuated with coughs, Hongki said with a slight smile,

 

“Jinnie ah, I’m fine. Don’t get so tensed up.”

 

“Hyung! You’re finally awake! We were all worried dead!” A third voice almost yelled out as the tall, lanky figure in a dark green leather coat dashed into the ward.

 

“Hyunnie, keep it down, we’re in the hospital,” Jaejin chided.

 

“Wait up, what happened? Why am I in a hospital?” questioned Hongki in a raspy voice as he tried to sit up.

 

Jaejin swiftly moved over to Hongki’s bed despite his thick and furry grey winter coat and adjusted it while explaining.

 

“Hyung, don’t you remember? You were filming your new drama when you slipped on ice and fell from about 1.5 metres last night. The doc said you just had a mild concussion, dislocated your shoulder and fractured your shin. Oh and several abrasions here and there but they’re not as serious.”

 

“And, Jaejin-hyung was here the whole night looking after you,” added Seunghyun cheekily.

 

Upon hearing this, Jaejin immediately shot Seunghyun a furious glance and narrowed his eyes. Jaejin could feel his face and ears heating up, turning from the normal tan to tomato red.

 

“Oh really? Aww thanks, Jinnie, never thought a kid like you would be so caring, eh?” teased Hongki.

 

Jaejin and Hongki shared a laugh. Jaejin smoothed his sideburns down sheepishly and glanced at the ground, trying to hide his awkward smile.

 

“It’s nothing. You’re my hyung right?” mumbled Jaejin.

 

“I’ll go inform the others then. Hyungs have a talk first,” said Seunghyun before rushing out of the ward.

 

Hongki glanced around the ward, with clearer vision this time. Blinds down, bathroom at the bottom left, door on the right, his wallet, phone and key on the right side table.  A single stalk of flower stuck out from a transparent glass vase on the left.

 

“Where did the flower come from?” The question escaped Hongki’s mouth.

 

“Hmm that? Uh, it was from a fan. I met her outside the FNC building and she wanted to wish you well,” answered Jaejin, staring intently at the flower. “It’s pretty, isn’t it?”

 

Hongki focused on the mauve-colored flower. The flower was right in its full bloom, flaunting its delicate petals. Its strange-looking leaves stuck out of its stalk eloquently. It seems familiar, like he has seen it somewhere before. But where?

 

The hammer struck Hongki’s temples at an instant. He let out a groan and allowed his first instinct to bring his hand to his forehead. The after effects of that strike resonated for awhile more, making his brain feel like its contracting and relaxing constantly. Just then –

 

“Hongki! I’m so glad you’re awake! Do you know how worried I was?”

 

Jonghoon’s voice exploded in the ward, announcing his presence. Looking as stylish as ever, he sported a bright red suede coat. A pair of polished black shades perched on his perfectly sculpted nose bridge until he took it off in a swift, smooth movement. He moved, with lightning speed, towards Hongki and interlocked his hand with Hongki’s. Jonghoon stared at Hongki’s face for a brief moment, as if they haven’t met for eons and he needed time to register the changes.

 

“Ya, Lee Hongki, look what you did to yourself…”

 

Jonghoon attempted to chide but the feelings of relief and sympathy overwhelmed him and turned his last few words into squeaks charged with concern and pain. He reached his hand out towards Hongki’s blonde, silky hair and swept it away, revealing Hongki’s shimmering eyes. Jonghoon’s eyes brimmed with tears for a brief moment. He could not stand even a second looking at Hongki in this state; it just hurts him so much.

 

“I’m so sorry I wasn’t here the last night… I’m so sorry I let this happen to you… I’m so sorry, Hongki…” Jonghoon was almost whimpering as he clutched Hongki’s hand in his so dearly and rested his forehead against their hands. His breathing started to falter, quicken, shorten.

 

“It’s okay Hoonie. I’m fine now, ain’t I? Don’t cry pabo,” Hongki wore a half-lobed smirk on his face as he stared at the teary-eyed Jonghoon at his bedside. He was really glad to have Jonghoon by his side at this moment. Jonghoon has always been his closest friend in FT Island. They’ve been through thick and thin together, shared everything with each other, been there for each other - always. Hopefully, forever.

 

Hongki and Jonghoon held their gaze for what seemed like eternity. Finally, Seunghyun couldn’t hold it in anymore.

 

“My goosebumps are coming out because of both of you!”

 

“Hyungs, get a room please,” Minhwan, the slightly shorter but more built one, chimed in teasingly.

 

Jonghoon and Hongki smiled lovingly at each other while Seunghyun and Minhwan, the maknae pair, grinned at the couple and unconsciously linked arms.

 

On the other side of Hongki’s bed, Jaejin forced his megawatt smile and laughed along. The twinkle in his eye dimmed. He unconsciously let out a sigh while his eyes focused on the pure white tiles on the hospital floor. I need to get out of here.

 

Jaejin cleared his throat, loud enough for everyone to hear. “I’m going to call in the doc to check on Hongki-hyung’s condition,” he reported monotonously before proceeding towards the door, head hung, shoulders stooped.

 

Shouldn’t I be used to it already after all these years? Jongki has always been the pair in FT Island. Even the Pris ship them. What makes me think that…nope, not a chance. Don’t even mention Seunghyun and Minhwan. I need to start focusing on something else.

 

“Yes, focus on something else. That’s what I’ll do,” Jaejin mumbled under his breath.  


Hello :) This will be my first series fan fiction! Do support~ ^^