Choco pies

A moment apart

“Are you the delivery man of your office or something? That must be hard, carrying so much coffee every single day.” Taehyung more said than asked, focusing most of his attention on the shelves he was placing all the new books on.

It was Thursday now, exactly two weeks later, and Hoseok had come to the shop every single morning throughout that time. Little did Taehyung know that Hoseok willingly suggested to bring coffee to his colleagues, lying that he made a New Years resolution to get up earlier and walk to work as a form of exercise instead of driving his car, so he "had more time” before work now, hence suggesting to be their so called delivery man. But that wasn't completely true, Hoseok couldn’t lie to himself for more than one sleepless night – he wanted to see Taehyung. He didn’t think it was love or anything, but the boy really interested him and he felt like he wanted to know more about him – what was he searching for the other night, even about that book he got when their first meeting happened.

Misa didn’t mind the company of those two men either, even though she would never say it out loud. She always welcomed Hoseok whenever he came, sometimes even gave him a book with a discount when he wanted. Maybe she actually was lonely before. But ever since Taehyung started working there and with Hoseok's more often visits the bookstore was a lot more lively. Taehyung's free spirited personality really helped with promoting the bookstore, as he liked making different colorful signs every other day and then putting them in from of the store so they could attract the visitors' attention. And he really knew how to talk with customers and often he successfully managed to sweet-talk them into purchasing a book. Or two.


Little by little Hoseok came to know that Taehyung was a last year university student, as well as about his little obsession with numbers and being damn punctual for everything. Most of the times though, Hoseok had no idea what was going in that mind of his that managed to fascinate Hoseok so hard. He loved studying Taehyung's expressions in different situations and his favorite thing was seeing that boy's smile for whatever reason, even if it’s just the “I bought too much choco pies you can have them” grateful smile he received every time he would randomly bring the kid his favorite snack. Hoseok doesn’t even like choco pies, but damn, how could he resist not buying them when he knew he would be granted with that smile, even for a moment.

He didn’t know anything about his family, because Taehyung once just concluded that he lived in the university dorms and sounded like he had nothing more to add to that. Hoseok didn’t want to push him more and interrogate him about his personal life so early, it was enough for him to just be able to spend some time with him and get to known him more and more, satisfying all those unanswered questions that had been lingering in his mind ever since he first met him.

In any other situation, Hoseok would have considered this as something not a 25 year old man should be doing, but he was encouraged by Taehyung himself. He never looked or sounded annoyed when Hoseok visited the bookstore, rather he actually looked looked like he was enjoying their conversations about just as much as Hoseok did, even if they were about the weather or how much Misa at every possible household chore, including gardening. Especially gardening. No really, they would talk about anything and it happened so naturally a side observer would’ve thought they’ve know each other for years.

--


“Are you going to work or you don’t mind being hearing another fifteen minute long nag session from Seokjin?” Hoseok snapped out of his thoughts and almost fell out of his chair, because he hadn’t noticed Taehyung appearing in front of his face when he suddenly asked him that.


“I’m going, I’m going.” Hoseok tried to sounding annoyed, but he was actually happy. Taehyung had remembered all of those details about his job and even the name of his boss, even though he never actually looked like he was listening when Hoseok would ramble on and on early in the morning.


“It’s your fault, I felt like you were going to burn a hole on the back of my head, you were really staring.” Taehyung said nonchalantly. Hoseok hadn't even realized he had been staring.


“By the way you brat, why do you always speak to me so informally?” he reached out his hand to pull Taehyung's cheeks with the intention to hurt him, but Taehyung was used to this already.


“Don’t be so tight old man, we’re only 3 years apart. And besides, aren’t we too close for that already? I prefer calling you Hobi anyways. Hobi hyung sounds weird.” Taehyung said and let out one of the cheekiest grins he was capable of and Hoseok forgot all about being angry, even though he wasn't particulary fond of that nickname.

“Aren’t we too close already?” It echoed in his mind. Was Taehyung doing this on purpose? Because he knew how much his smiles made Hoseok lower his defense and start feeling like a teenager in love? And no, it wasn’t actually love. It wouldn't make sense for him to have fallen in love with a kid that he met literally less than a month ago. He knew almost nothing about him, so it can’t be true, right? He really, really wished it wasn’t.


“By the way Taehyung, do you have time after work?” Hoseok asked out of the blue and regretted soon after.