5pm

A moment apart

How is it already 16:49pm? Could time take a deep breath and just slow down? Hoseok was restless. In less than eleven minutes he would have to leave the safe office and go outside and face reality. Reality being Taehyung.
-flashback-
“Time? Sure, I don't have anything planned, but why?”
“Well you know.. um.. that actually... OH it’s Jiu’s birthday!”
“Who?”
“Jiu, my dog, the one that you petted that night. Soooo it’s his birthday today and I thought I should invite someone to celebrate it. He seemed fond of you, unlike to anyone else i know”-Hoseok was looking everywhere but in his eyes, letting out nervous laughs here and there. Taehyung rose his eyebrow sceptically.
“You’re right this probably sounded more than ridiculous” more awkward laughter “just forget it! I should get going now if I don’t want Seokjin to cut my head off.” He started packing the few stuff he had in the clumsiest way possible, wanting to get out of here. Why did I do that, what were you thinking, brain? He needed to get out of here fast.
“Okay.”
“Okay see you then!” Hoseok was about to run away but when his brain finally processes what Taehyung had just said and he turns around for less than a millisecond.
“Wait what did you say?”
“I said okay, I would love to celebrate Matthew’s birthday”
“It’s Jiu, what the hell is Matthew, BUT that’s not it, are you sure? I mean there are probably more interesting things to do like hanging out with your friends or.. or you know” He actually stutters but Taehyung looks quite amused from the whole situation.
“Nah, I feel like It would be a lot more fun I was with you” he grins, returning his attention to the books he was cleaning up. There goes Hoseok’s ability to think straight.
“I will come get you at 5 then?”
-end-
Truth was Hoseok hadn’t really planned anything nor intended to celebrate Jiu’s birthday in the first place. The thought Why did I do that? didn’t leave his mind even for a second the whole day. What was he going to do now? Should he just call Taehyung and cancel the plan? He knew that was the right choice because he did lie after all, but deep down he actually really wished to be able to spend more time with him. Dwelling until the very last second before opening the door of the book store he had no idea what to do. But a smile was enough. Just a moment was enough for him to make his decision. Of course that was Taehyung’s smile. It looked like he was already waiting for him fror awhile all dressed up. Hoseok didn’t understand why did Taehyung smile so wide when he entered the store, I mean, it couldn’t have been because of him, right?
“Here” Taehyung hands Hoseok a small package in the shape of a bone all wrapped up in red paper. Must’ve been the confused look on his face because Taehyung continues “I had some free time after work ended and I didn’t want to go to a birthday party unprepared, that would be really rude right?” Hoseok could only stare dumbly at the package. He actually went through the trouble of buying a present? He cleared his throat with the intention to say something but his mind and throat were clogged up. This is not good, this is not good at all. Get yourself together Hoseok! He shouldn’t have lied to him only to satisfy his selfish desires to see him again. They were together almost every morning, so why did he have to make such a lie and trouble Taehyung? His chest felt tight. Again.
“Listen Taehyung I’m sorry.. I actually have no idea why did I propose this when in reality I haven’t planned anything at all. I feel bad for the present so let me return the mone-“Taehyung bursts out laughing, a sincere, a very beautiful laugh for Hoseok, which sounded like honey to his ears.
“You should’ve seen the look on your face! Are you really 25? Cause you sure looked like a child to me” Taehyung is not laughing anymore, just smiling, but he never left Hoseok’s eyes.
“Sorry to break this to you but it was quite obvious that whatever you blurted out this morning was in the spur of the moment” What?
“Then.. then why did you agree? You even went ahead and bought a present..” Another few skipped beats of his heart made it hard for him to breathe.
“Hmm.. I told you right? I would prefer to spend some more time with you, I enjoy it” as much as he wanted to, Hoseok couldn’t figure out what kind of expression Taehyung had right now but his smile never left his face and that made things for Hoseok a lot easier.
“The celebration thing was a lie, but Matthew, no I mean Jiu really does have birthday today. Or his second one to be exact. I adopted him on this day last year, so that would be his first birthday." He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes; "Would you like joining me for a celebratory walk in the park on such a special event? And he does enjoy any kind of stuffed toys” he points out at the package. All the worries he had during the day were washed away. As much as his chest tightened a lot when Taehyung was around, he needed him just as much so he could feel right again. In a moment, at that exact moment, Hoseok realized he needed Taehyung.
“Of course, I would love to.”