The Great Unknown

A Picture of You

After her first full day in America, Jessica was exhausted so she was glad that she could just go home and relax. She reached over to the journal she just started writing in to document her experiences in America and Sunny thought it would be good therapy when she was struggling with her breakup from Taeyeon.

 

~January 23, 2011~

I am liking America and it isn’t very different from Korea. I made a new friend, Yuri who works at my agency. We modeled together today. I might be developing feelings for her, but the more my heart beats for her, the more it reminds me of Taeyeon. I want to wait for Taeyeon but the pain of always wanting her even though I know she can’t be by my side, is killing me. My heart hurts so much. Nights alone are cold without her by my side.

I am starting to hate the distance, but she wanted this too. She and I agreed to go our separate ways, but I regret it so much. I feel like this is the worst decision ever. I got news that she is going to school in the fall. I can see she is moving on with life.

I need to move on…even if I force it.

New love is the cure for a broken heart right?

 

------------------------

The past week Jessica was busy with random photo shoots. She liked how her agency prepared so much work for her to do because it made her forget how lonely she felt in this new country. She had no friends and the one she thought she made, Yuri, was also busy so she never saw her.

 

Jessica was making her way back to her room as she saw Yuri exiting her apartment. The girl immediately initiated conversation, “Jessica! Long time no see!”

Jessica was acting shy for no apparent reason, “Yea I guess we haven’t seen each other for a while.”

“Do you have any free days soon? We should go out to eat again. I want to show you some more of the city.”

Yuri was confusing Jessica. Was this going to be a date or is she always this friendly? “I have some time tomorrow around 2pm, but I have a meeting during dinner at 6pm.”

“That is enough time. I think I can meet you at the agency at 3pm. Should we try meeting then?”

“That works for me,” Jessica was happy that she gets to go out and enjoy herself. She loved work, but being alone all the time is getting to her. Her loneliness always makes her retreat to thoughts of Taeyeon and wondering what she was doing.

“I have to get going but I will see you tomorrow!” The girl ran off and Jessica continued to her room.

 

-----------------------------

Jessica finished her schedule half an hour early and had nowhere to go until meeting Yuri. She thought she looked like a loser just sitting alone in a large lobby, but she had nothing else to do while she waited. Yuri was punctual and came right at 3pm which surprised her since their schedules never ended on time. “It looks like you were waiting a while.”

“Not really. Just finished early today.” Jessica smiled out of relief the girl even showed up.

Yuri took Jessica’s hand, “Let’s go!” and led her outside. Jessica was surprised that they were at the point of skinship. She didn’t mind but her mind was going wild over thoughts of what Yuri thought their relationship was. The friendship seemed to be progressing fast. Did Yuri like her too? Did Jessica actually like the girl or was she trying to just fill something that was empty in her heart?

Yuri was so full of energy that Jessica was having a hard time keeping up with her fast pace. They saw so much in 2 hours that Jessica was more fatigued during her off time today than when she had a packed working day. “Yuri,” Jessica said weakly.

Yuri stopped and looked back to Jessica. She was surprised that the girl was so pale and looked like she was dying. “Oh my Jessica! Are you alright?!”

“I am fine, can we just go somewhere to sit?”

“Of course!” Yuri was in panic mode and looked around franticly for a place to let Jessica rest. She noticed that they were not far from Central Park so she careful led Jessica over to the park.

Jessica collapsed on the bench that Yuri took her to and the other girl sat next to her.

“You should have told me that you were tired.”

“I am fine really,” that was a lie but a worried Yuri bothered her. She didn’t like that the girl was worried about her. They had no special relationship, but Jessica felt like Yuri was a close friend already who showed concern when Jessica was hurt.

“We should have found a place inside. I forgot that it was cold out.”
“It is fine, I like the cold.” Jessica was just happy to get off her feet. She found a comfortable position and closed her eyes for what she thought were a few seconds, but she heard a calming voice, “Jessica,” Taeyeon? “Jessica” No, that isn’t Taeyeon…the voice is familiar. Jessica slowly opened her eyes and noticed her head was on Yuri’s shoulder.

“Jessica wake up. Didn’t you say you had a meeting at 6pm?”

Jessica came out of her sleepy daze and looked at her phone for the time. “You are right. It is getting late. Did I really fall asleep?”

Yuri giggled, “Yea you did. You must have been tired from earlier today.” Jessica was more surprised that she was comfortable enough to just fall asleep with Yuri by her. She didn’t understand why Yuri gave a comforting effect.

“Wow it is cold out. I can’t believe that I slept when it is this cold out. Are you okay?”

“You were pretty warm Jessica.” Jessica started to blush a little. The comment wasn’t meant as flirting but that didn’t stop Jessica from getting flustered. “Where is your meeting at?”

“Hakkasan. It is a restaurant in the theater district.”

“Perfect! I will go with you.”

“Are you sure that isn’t out of the way for you?”

“Didn’t I tell you that I was in a performance? I will just go to my theater after I drop you off. It is no problem.”

Jessica was happy to have company navigating the strange land but she was also happy that it was Yuri who was the one by her side now.

 

-----------------------

“Jessica are you listening?” Jessica looked up to see Yuri in front of her. She got caught up in remembering how the past weeks with Yuri seemed to help put her feelings for Taeyeon aside.

“I listened….”

“What did I say?”

Jessica knew she was caught not listening, “Play?”

Yuri looked down in disappointment, “I said do you want to go play practice with me? I want you to meet some people that are in our affiliated agencies. It would be good for you to meet others that work with us.”

“Oh yea I can go,” Jessica smiled that Yuri wanted to show her the work she was doing. It somehow made her feel like they were slowly getting closer.

The two finished their meal and went out to head to the building that Yuri and her crew practiced. Returning to a familiar and safe environment gave Jessica pleasure. She loved everything about theater, the people, the environment, and the sense of creative freedom. Jessica didn’t want to wander too far away from Yuri so she stayed close until they were both greeted by other cast members.

“Everyone this is Jessica, she joined my agency a month ago. She is new so please take care of her.” Jessica liked that she had an introduction because the crowd was a bit intimidating.

“Jessica?!” Jessica heard a familiar voice and looked around to see who it was who called her name.

“Yoona?”

The girl came running up to her and gave her a hug, “Wow Jessica! What are you doing in America?”

“I should be asking you the same question? Is this where you ran off to after college?”

“Yep! I came here after the scout chose you to sign. I thought I would have better luck in America.”

Jessica felt a bit guilty that she was chosen over Yoona who was also a great actress, but she was happy that her theater buddy was doing well in America. “I am really glad to see you again.”

Their happy reunion was cut off by Yuri, “You two know each other?”

Yoona pacified the worried girl, “She and I went to college together and were in the same grade. We practically lived together in the theater during college.”

“I see.” Jessica noticed that Yuri wasn’t liking the closeness that Yoona showed towards her.

Jessica wanted to break the weird mood that Yuri was immolating, “So Yoona do you know Yuri just because of this production?”

“No, we met shortly after I arrived. She and I were both new and we relied on each other a lot. Maybe that is why we fell in love. Yuri is my girlfriend.” Yoona and Yuri smiled at each other forgetting Jessica’s presence. They went into their own world.

Jessica was in her own thoughts as well. What happened this past month? I thought Yuri liked me but all this time she had a girlfriend…

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Not sure if you readers remembered Yoona in chapter 4, but she made a comeback!

So who is Jessica's lover in America???? Did she almost marry Yuri, Yoona, or is it someone different???

Not many comments....makes me sad. I am going into panic mode because of lack of comments so I am going to change how I approach the story so you can expect taengsic moments in the next chapter.