Drained

He Loves the Rain -indefinite hiatus-
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

---

 

"Because we're going to be team mates. Team mates are supposed to know each other and be each other's support, right?"

"Yah, listen. Ki...Kin, or whatever, being team mates is job. Whatever you need to know, the company will tell you. Don't act smart. There's no reason I would share any personal information with you. Maybe those idiots will, though."

"Uhm...it's Kevin."

"Huh?"

"My name, it's Kevin."

"Whatever. Listen, if you don't want trouble, stay out of other people's business. Good night."

He's rude. I wonder if that was the personality assigned to him. Even though this whole assigning and practicing to perfect your assigned personalities still seems so disturbing. How do you do that? Don't we all have our own personalities? How can someone have to practice to be clumsy? Who would want to be clumsy?

But the weirder thing was, when I asked Junyoung about it, he told that they had to practice on their own because the company isn't so rich to provide trainers, and that in bigger companies, they're provided full acting course to shape their new personalities. What? So this is a normal thing?

What would they turn me into then? Just the thought of it made me want to run. But what about Hyungsik? How was he coping with all these? He's already lovable on his own. How could such a person be reformed? Was that the reason he seemed so stressed out and detached lately? I'm already a part of his world now, yet it still felt like I couldn't do anything for him.

What's so great about Siwan anyway? To have people fighting for him?

Maybe I need to get to know him better. Get close to him, to find out.

But then, Kwanghee might hate me even more. He seemed really moody towards everyone but Siwan. Wonder what their relationship is. 

Maybe he's right though. Hyungsik need to stay away from them or he's going to get hurt. Is there really no other way to become a singer than to go through all these? What if we're not strong enough?

...Speaking of that, I wonder how Hyungsik's feeling now. When I pushed open his door, he was already sleeping soundly. He looked so tired and weary. As I pulled the blanket over him, I noticed that I had never seen him looking so heartbreakingly horrible. This is a mistake. I want to take him far away from that world that was his life out of him. But how? How could I take him away from his dreams, from the world he's so happy to be part of?

I couldn't.

 

When I woke up the next day, surprisingly, Hyungsik had already gone out for his classes. He only left a note saying he would see me at the company later. And for some reason, I screwed up at work and messed things up in the kitchen and got scolded by the cook and sent out to serve the customers, and almost got into a fight. 

I couldn't concentrate, even though this would be my final week working there. I kept wondering if he's doing alright. I kept thinking of the face I saw that ached me, before going to my room, and being unable to fell asleep for so long, that tired sickly face looming my mind.

I really want to bring him far away.

But how?

 

"Oh, Kevin, you're here? Come, it's time for meeting."

"Meeting?"

"Yeah, there's so much to prepare, since we're nearing our debut date. Probably next month or the month after."

"That fast?"

"Yeah."


The others were already inside the small meeting room, waiting for the Boss I guess. Hyungsik was already seated in between Siwan and Dongjun and seemed to be engrossed in talking to Siwan. Their conversations seemed endless. What could be so irresistibly interesting that I knew not of?

 

"Here, have a seat."

Junyoung pulled me to sit next to him and there's Minwoo on the other side. Everyone was busy chatting to each other, and I didn't know what to say to any of them. It made me feel like an odd duck. Well, though then I noticed that rude guy was also quiet. But glaring towards Siwan and Hyungsik every now and then. He's being way too obvious, and yet he could talk about personal business or something. If he wanted people to stay away from him, maybe he should stop glaring at people so threateningly like that. No wonder Siwan preferred to talk to Hyungsik, instead. I would too, if I were Siwan.

But still, how come it's still so hard to talk to Hyungsik or get near to him, even when we're already in the same space?


"Everyone's here?"

"Yes, Sajangnim."

The elderly man gave a curt smile at me then, before started talking to some other men who followed him inside.

"So...boys, have you decided on the name?"

"Well, according to the members' vote, Potato Boys won the majority."

"That's good. So, boys...you know the story already? You're all going to be potato lovers. You can think of your own favourite dish. We need some haters though. Who wants to volunteer?"

"Me!" Heecheol was really quick to respond, that I was shocked by his sudden interruption before the Sajangnim could finish his sentence properly.

"Heecheol-ah, your personality is already hating a lot of things. We need something unexpected. Hyungsik...you're the one who can't stop eating, right? We'll assign this job to you. And maybe...Kwanghee. So you two can become the conspirator against potatoes and create conflicts with other members."

"What?!"


Hyungsik and that, glaring rude guy? That wouldn't be a wise combination. Disastrous, in fact, probably.

And doesn't Hyungsik love potatoes? How would he survive in this role?


"Oh, speaking of that, Kevin...you haven't gotten your role, right?

"No, sir."

"Well, since you're the eldest...you'll be the charismatic and passionate but silly Hyung who knows nothing than to sing. You're protective of the kids and you're shy offstage but becomes a charmer in front of audience. And a ladies man."

"A...what...?"

"You know...a man who can easily attract and win attention of females. Your role is already to be charismatic...so, it wouldn't be hard to be charming as well. Ask Heecheol. He had done research on his own for similar role."

This, this whole thing is starting to sound a lot harder than I thought it would be. Hyungsik said, all I had to do was sing and learn to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter