Six

He's Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

I actually stopped eating and was staring at him like a dummy. I didn't know how to face him yet he was right there sitting right across me. Before my speechless moment ended, Mark looked straight up at me. He was...looking right at me. Intently. Expressionless. He even reached for the bread and jam which was close to me, all the while looking right at me. I flushed and my heart started to go crazy. What is up with him? Mark. Stahp!

That idiot did not stop. What is he even thinking? We just had an extremely embarrassing moment - well I did - and he’s just trying to have a staring showdown with me now? In the breakfast table with our parents? Unbelievable. I averted my eyes looking down and continued eating my food but my mom’s voice made me raise my head up again. She asked Mark, “Mark, didn’t you go to call Mirae to hurry up?” My eyes widened and Mark glanced at me again and nodded his head. My mom turned to me confusingly and asked, “Then why are you so late then?”
I just sat there awkwardly staring at my mom. I looked at everyone and they all were actually busy eating, even my mom went back to eat after I gave her a lame excuse. Yet Mark decides to continue to stare at me and creep me out. I’m probably blushing like a tomato because the fact that I’m being watched by Mark is so...ugh embarrassing. I looked up at him for the last time to shoot a deathly glare but I was taken aback. He narrowed his eyes at me and scrutinized me and the last thing I know, I started choking. I desperately reached for the water and coughed like crazy and everyone looked at me in concern. Mrs. Tuan asked me if I was okay and I just nodded unknowingly. After calming down I looked back up only to see Mark laughing. I glared at him accusingly and he just smirked. He smirked! And then he just looked down at his food and ate with a sly smile. What on earth is wrong with him!? This embarrasses me so much because if he is acting like this because he saw me in...uh in that state, then he is surely a ert! A weirdo! Ohmygod he probably turned into a . Okay I need to stop. What’s bothering me about that situation the most is why the heck did Mark act like that. But that aside, can I just say that his laugh is beautiful?

After dinner my parents decided that it was time to start doing the household chores. The maids were out that day because of some reason, so for that day we had to manage the chores on our own. My dad tried his best to stop the Tuans from doing any work, but they seemed to be too persistent and nice to obey him. They justified their desire to help by saying how grateful and happy they were that they were staying with us for the week. And of course, this is what Mr. and Mrs. Tuan said, not Mark. He was too busy being quiet and mysterious and looking at me teasingly as always. I still haven’t forgotten the incident from the morning.

I was given the job to do the groceries and I happily complied because I now had another excuse to avoid him, right? I got dressed and wore a black hoodie and matching boots before dashing downstairs. It was around the afternoon and I went to notify everyone that I was off to the store, but Mrs. Tuan had some other plans. “Mirae, it’s going to get dark soon, so you shouldn’t go alone. Mark, you should her,” she said sweetly. I was grateful and overwhelmed that she cared about my safety, but my comfort zone was being invaded now!

I looked at my mom hastily for help only to not get noticed. “Uh Mrs. Tuan it’s completely fine! I’ve done this a lot before and I know this neighborhood, so no worries,” I told her cheerfully to assure her. Then I added, “ And also Mark is a guest. I wouldn’t want to bother him. I’m sure he would prefer to relax for sometime, right Mark?” I raised my eyebrows at Mark teasingly with a fake smile while he looked at me apathetically. But then in the blink of an eye, his expression changed to a kind smile - a fake one of course. He put his phone away and got up fixing his shirt.

He immediately answered, “Nope, I have no problem. And I would really like to go outside. It’s quite boring, so I prefer escorting you to the grocery, Mirae.” I was dumbfounded by his response. What? He even emphasized on “” as he replied. He started walking out of the living room saying that he would be right back with his hoodie and put on his shoes as I just stood there looking at my parents. They seemed not to notice the fishy way Mark was being. Why does he even have to go wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter