Lingering

The Third Wheel

Taeyeon opened her eyes. The dream of meeting Kim Jaejoong at the swimming are haunts her again but this time it was Tiffany who lent her clothes to wear. Why is he even appearing in my dreams? She sighed and get up from her bed and went to wash her face. She's sure Jaejoong is already in the dinning room, eatin g breakfast. Why does he have to linger here? It's so annoying! A knock on her door interrupted her trail of thoughts. She went and answer it. It's the first time she ever answered the door, she always just shouted at it whenever Park Hoon knocks.

"Hoon oppa, I'll be down in a min—" She tried to say as soon as she opened the door but it's not Park Hoon but Jaejoong himself. He was grinning as usual and carrying a tray of food. 

"Ta-daaa!" Jaejoong announced, presenting the tray of food at her face.

"What the... W-what are you doing here?" Taeyeon stammered.  I wasn't even done washing my face yet! How could you come up here and make me feel so flustered!

"I was checking the place." He replied innocently. "Who on earth could ever imagine a Hanok with a second floor?"

"I told you it's just traditional on the outside, the inside is very different." Taeyeon replied, closing her eyes and massaging her temples. Why do talking to you gives me headache?

"Geurae-yo?" Jaejoong said and just stood outside her room. When Taeyeon opened her eyes, Jaejoong is just standing patiently there, eyes blinking at her.

"Whut?" Taeyeon asked.

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" He asked back.

"Mwoh? T-this is my private space—" Taeyeon spluttered but Jaejoong just simply kicked the door to open it wider and went inside the room. "Yah!"

"I thought you're going to be nice to me, Shorty." Jaejoong said, putting the tray down on Taeyeon's desk and quickly but carefully made the bed. "You shouldn't shout 'Yah' at me."

"B-but—"

"Okay, I'm done." Jaejoong announced and patted Taeyeon's head. "Park Hoon hyung is sick, so I'm doing some of his chores for him like taking care of you for example."

"Oppa doesn't take care of me like this, he just let me do things on my own." Taeyeon told him.

"Oh geurae? My mistake then." Jaejoong grinned. "I actually just want to see the 2nd floor! HAHA!"

"Aish.. Chinja..." Taeyeon muttered and pushed Jaejoong out of her room. "Stay out!" She shouted at his face and slammed the door. Jaejoong knocked again. Taeyeon groaned and opened the door again. "What?!!!"

"You haven't brushed you teeth yet, I've noticed" Jaejoong said with an evil smile then closed the door for Taeyeon.

"Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!" Taeyeon screamed in frustration. 


 

After much contemplation, Taeyeon finally went out of her room. She doesn't want to bumped in to Jaejoong again who's lurking somewhere inside her house but she really wanted to checked how Park Hoon is doing. He claims that he just need some rest and insisted that he doesn't need to see a doctor. 

"Aish... Oppa, you're so stubborn! Look! If you don't get better by tomorrow, I'm going to drag you to the hospital myself!" She told him firmly. "And you can't say no, araso?!"

"Ara.." Park Hoon replied weakly. "Is Jaejoong-ssi giving you a hard time?"

"He always does." Taeyeon quickly replied.

"Hyung—" Jaejoong suddenly barged inside the room. "Oh, Shorty, hi!" He turned to Park Hoon. "I finally found the medicine cabinet—HAHAHA!—It has taken me all morning to locate it! And all these time it was right in front of my eyes!" He and Park Hoon chuckled. "Come on, drink some of these pills... But check them first, I don't know which one is for fever."

"The blue ones." Taeyeon told him.

"Ah, geurae." He took a blue pill from a blister pack and handed it to Park Hoon who in turn gulped in down with water.

"Gomawo." Park Hoon said and lied down again.

"What's next? Jaejoong asked him. "Oh! The groceries! Right?" Park Hoon nodded.

"The list is on top of the fridge." He told him.

"Araso." He grabbed Taeyeon's arm. "Come on, Shorty, let's go buy some groceries." Before Taeyeon could even protest, they are already on their to the nearest supermarket with Jaejoong talking about trivial things that she couldn't even understand but she found herself listening still, there's something about him that just makes you want to listen.

"1 Liter of oil.. What oil?" Jaejoong scratched his head. He is looking at a row of oils at the supermarket. Taeyeon was just watching him idly. "There's Sesame Oil, Palm Oil, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Cooking Oil, Refined Palm Oil, which one should I get?"

"Molla.." Taeyeon replied. "Why did you voluteer for this if you don't know what you're supposed to buy?"

"Aish... Of course I know what to buy, I just need to follow this list." He waved the list in front of her.

"Then which oil is it then?"

"Hmmm.. I think we should take a liter of each just to make sure." Jaejoong decided and started putting bottles of oils on their cart.

"Are we shopping for the whole year already? Those oils could lasts us a lifetime!" Taeyeon exclaimed stuffing the bottles back to their shelf. Jaejoong just put back the bottle back into their cart as soon as Taeyeon stuffed them into the shelf. No one was backing down so when Taeyeon has stuffed back everything on the shelf again, Jaejoong lifted her up and put her inside the empty cart.

"Yah!" She yelled at him in protest.

"I said stop shouting 'yah!' to my face." He said, taking the bottles of oils from the shelf again and putting them inside the cart. "Next is sugar and salt... Hmmm.. He didn't put the quantity.. Should we get a sack-full?"

"Mwoh? A sack-full? Are you kidding me? Just a kilo would be enough for a month!"

"Ara, ara, stop shouting." Jaejoong pushed the cart and Taeyeon had to hold on to keep her balance. "We need to buy some rice, too, and beef and pork and coffee—"

"I can imagine how many sacks of rice, kilos of beef and pork and thousands of other stuffs you're going to buy, why don't you just buy this supermarket!" Taeyeon snapped at him.


"We probably own this supermarket, no need to buy it." Jaejoong retorted as he take odd stuffs from the shelves. 

"You own this supermarket?" Taeyeon asked with interest.

"Wae? Got interested at me all of a sudden?" Jaejoong asked playfully. 

"Mwoh?! Are you even hearing yourself?" Taeyeon spluttered. "How can I get interested on my bestfriend's boyfriend?!!!!"

"Will you please stop shouting? My eardrums have just exploded. " Jaejoong muttered as he continued pushing the cart.

"Why are you even doing this?" Taeyeon asked again. "Why are you wasting your time doing Park Hoon oppa's chores?"


"I have nothing but time, Shorty." Jaejoong winked at her and as usual, she rolled her eyes in response. "And I'm getting bored at home, Jaekyung's no fun these days."

"How about your friends then? Or Tiffany?"

"Whoah! Tiffany!" Jaejoong exclaimed.

"Yes, I said Tiffany, are you deaf or something?"

"No, no, I mean, Tiffany, over there!" Jaejoong pointed over the aisle where veggies are located. A girl in white dress under a pink cardigan seems to be loading her cart with lettuces. "Ahhh.. chinja, My Miyoung, even from behind, she's pretty."

"Let's go talk to her, push the cart!" Taeyeon ordered.

"A-andwae!" He quickly said and went to the opposite direction so fast that Taeyeon had to grab the sides of the cart for support.

"Wae!?" Taeyeon asked incredulously. "Turn this cart around, let's go and chat with Fany!" 

"I told her I'm busy when she called earlier, she might get mad if she sees us together." Jaejoong said breaking into a run.

"Aish... Babo! Why didn't you just tell her you were pestering me?" Taeyeon tried to hit him but missed. "In any case, I don't think she'll get mad, It's just me anyways."

"Are you sure you're a girl? Don't you know how your specie's mind works? I said I'm busy and then she'll see me with her friend?! She'll cook me alive!"

"You know how a girl's mind works but you still do things that will upset her? Why did you even have to hangout in my place anyway!"

"Arggh! Because I hate eating alone! And I was just helping out, hyungnim cannot even stand up to cook you breakfast. Let's go pay for these stuffs first, I hope this would all fit at the back of the car and.... Hey!" Jaejoong smiled brightly at her. "I know what to do now, Shorty! I can even drive her home!" He pinched Taeyeon's cheeks while she just frowned in response.



"Tiffany!" Jaejoong happily called out to her. Tiffany who was strolling out of the supermarket stopped on her tracks and turned to see who's calling her. 

"Oppa!" "I thought you were busy?" Tiffany asked although it is evident on her face that she was really happy seeing him.

"Well, sort of, I needed to run an errand for a friend." Jaejoong replied with an grin that he always makes which always makes Tiffany's tummy to be filled with butterflies and her heart to flutter. "Where are you going? Do you want me give you a lift?"

"I'm going home now but actually I'm with our driver—" 

"You can ask him to go on first, I'll drive you home." Jaejoong told her.

"Chinja? You'll do that for me oppa?" Tiffany exclaimed, her eye-smile made Jaejoong tummy do a sommersault this time. He have always find her smile so fascinating. He smiled back at her but didn't answer, instead he took the bags of lettuces from her and motioned her to follow. Even with his hands full, he still manage to open the passenger side for Tiffany, he's such a gentleman around her, he even put her seatbelt for her.

"You're driving an SUV?" Tiffany said, still smiling. "I thought you're that type to drive a sports car."  Jaejoong chuckled as he started the car.

"This is car's not mine, it's my mom's," Jaejoong informed her. "Dad said he won't buy me a car until I get accepted in a good university." He snorted. "The thing is, his idea of a 'good university' is Hanyang, Sungkyunkwan, Seoul National University and the likes." Tiffany laughed.

"Gosh! You might be picking me up on our dates using this SUV forever then?" She teased.

"Don't get your hopes up, baby, I think I can make it to Hanyang." Jaejoong retorted and she laughed again. "And regarding dates... My friends wants to invite you to dine with them sometime, they'll bring their girls ofcourse."

"What for?" Tiffany said, suddenly alarmed. She's good in socializing but she doesn't think she's ready to meet Jaejoong's friend yet.

"They just want to get to know you." Jaejoong said. He glanced at her when he didn't answer. He leaned to her and tuck a rebellious lock of her behind her ear. "Don't be nervous, they don't bite."

"What if they don't like me?" Tiffany asked weakly.

"They don't have a say on which girl I date." Jaejoong replied. "And anyway, they are almost always happy which my choices. And ofcourse they will like you, you're irresistable, don't you know?"

"Hmmp." That's the only thing said but it is obvious that she's comforted when Jaejoong called her 'irresistable.'" She was thinking of a retort when she heard something that made her look at the back of the car.

"What is it?" Jaejoong inquired.

"I think I heard something." Tiffany replied, her eyebrows furrowed at she check the back of the car.

"What did you hear?" Jaejoong asked. "I didn't hear anything."

"It's like something like a snort.. But you didn't snort and the sound is coming from there." She motioned the back of the car. "That's weird."

"I didn't hear anything." Jaejoong said, the expression on his face is hard to place. It's like he's amused about something and at the same time weary. "And what do you know, time flies when I'm with you, baby, we're here." He leaned to give her a kiss that Tiffany answered back passionately—

"Achooooo!!!!!"

Both Jaejoong and Tiffany  turned their heads towards the back of the car. Taeyeon's head emerged from behind a stack of plastic bags full of groceries and smiled awkwardly at them.