The Dream

The Third Wheel

Kim Taeyeon opened her eyes and found herself lying on her bed. She dreamt that she was playing hide and seek with her friends, 'It's been ages since we played that,' and that she saw someone floating in a pool, 'I never go near one,' and that she tried to save that someone but she nearly drowned, 'Why on earth did I try to save that someone? I don't even know how to swim,' and that someone saved her from near-drowning. "Weird." She muttered.

 

Tok! Tok! Tok! Someone has just knocked at her bedroom door.

 

"Breakfast is ready, miss. Please come down and eat." Park Hoon, her assistant said. She calls him his assistant but he's actually an all-around servant. He does the laundry, the dishes, the cooking, the cleaning, he does everything for her.

 

"Araso, I'll be down in a minute." She replied then dashed to the bathroom to take a bath and get dressed for school.

 

"Your friend, Sunny-ssi has called very early today telling me that she and Jessica-ssi will pick you up." Park Hoon informed and she went down and eats her breakfast. "And your father called and said that you should take care of yourself."

 

"Whatever." Taeyeon rolled her eyes. "As if he truly cares." She rolled her eyes. They heard the door bell ring—

 

"Your friends are probably here, miss, I'll go get the door." Park Hoon said and left.

 

She sighed. She have lived alone all her life in this Hanok (traditional korean house) with only Park Hoon as a company. Her mother died when she was 4, her father, who is a business man, gave her this house as her own since then. The house has been in his family for decades and her father's wife isn't very happy with her acquiring the property but she also doesn't want Taeyeon to live with them in their house so she agreed. Her father almost never visit her. Although her sister does. Kim Taehee, her sister, a well-known actress, doesn't mind having a half-sister but now that she's doing well in the industry, she barely have time for her as well. Most of the time, her only consolations are her friends.

 

"Taeng!" Sunny exclaimed. "We're here!"

 

"Sunkyu wants us to walk, can you believe that?" Jessica said incredulously, picking a cupcake from the table and taking a bite. "My legs will become muscular if we do!"

 

"Fabulous." Sunny said. "It's just a 10 minute walk from here!"

 

"Aish.. Quit arguing, let's go." Taeyeon told them, grabbing her bag from somewhere. "I got something to tell you."

 

"Another dream?" Jessica asked. "Sooyoung and Fany will find it boring, definitely."

 

"That's why I'm only telling you two!" She snapped at her. "Gaja." They bid goodbye to Park Hoon and went to school. She told them about her dream as they walk to school. She told the story animatedly and told them how she find all of the things in it weird.

 

"Maybe you're ually frustrated." Jessica said while Sunny laughed out loud. "Whaaaat?" She asked innocently when Taeyeon grimaced at her. "You're the one who's dreaming of a topless guy and he even did CPR, mind you. It's funny that you're dumb in your dream though, how come you don't know what CPR is?"

 

"And why would you shield you chest away from him when there's nothing there!" Sunny pointed at Taeyeon's chest and guffawed.

 

"Yah!" Taeyeon snapped at them. "Are you making fun of me?!"

 

"Aniyo." They both replied while suppressing their laughter. They can't help but make fun of her, she always have weird dreams and most of them doesn't make sense.

 

"But hey, it's the second time you dreamt about him." Sunny pointed out.

 

"Nugu?" Taeyeon asked, frowning.

 

"Kim Jaejoong." Sunny replied. "Do you think he's a real person?"

 

"I bet there's someone in Korea who's named Kim Jaejoong." Jessica told them. "So yes, he's a real person."

 

"What does he look like though?" Sunny asked.

 

"Well... He's handsome." Taeyeon said, blushing.

 

"I knew it." Jessica said again. "Look how red you are just by thinking of that imaginary person—"

 

"Do you hear a dog barking?" Sunny asked. She is terribly afraid of dogs no matter how small they are. "Waaaaah!!!!" She screamed when she saw a dog running towards them. "R-run!!!!" The three of them run away from the dog but it kept on chasing them. "Eomma!!!" Sunny cried as she runs.

 

"Where on earth did that dog came from!!?" Taeyeon asked aloud as they made their way into a street.

 

"I doon't knoooow!!" Jessica answered, her gracefulness has completely vanished. They went left and are currently going in the direction completely opposite from their school. Taeyeon was now completely out of breath, she's a fast runner but she ain't got the stamina to run for a long time. She finally fell, she bit her lips and closed her eyes when she felt how her knees got scrape by the concrete ground, she's ready to receive that bite from the dog that's chasing them and then she heard someone blew a whistle and that dog bite never came.
 

"Gwaenchana?" Somebody asked her.
 

"Do I look like I'm fine to you?" Taeyeon asked sarcastically, standing up.
 

"Well, no." The person replied. He then approached her and started brushing the dirt off her uniform.
 

"Omo!" Taeyeon was taken aback at the gesture. "Yah! You're a man, you cannot just do that!" The guy looked up and stared incredulously at her as if telling her that it's the most obvious thing to do, that's the first time she saw his face.
 

"K-kim Jaejoong!" She exclaimed at her surprise.
 

"How did you know my name?" The guy asked, raising his eyebrow at her. From the look on his face, it's obvious he was surprised.
 

"I—uh.. I—" She stammered. She cannot just tell that man that she have dreamt of him! He'll think it's creepy!
 

"Taeyeon!" Jessica called her name. She had a look of terror on her face. "Your knees! Their bruised and scraped!"
 

"Gwaenchana?" Sunny asked as she appeared beside Taeyeon.
 

"Look at her knees! Her wonderful legs would be scarred!" Jessica whined as she tried cleaning Taeyeon's wound with her handkerchief.
 

"I never believe that I would ever say this, but I agree with Sica about your legs, let's go to the hospital and have that cleaned." Sunny told her as she examines her wound.
 

"H-hospital? I don't have to go in there! It's just a scratch! It's not like I needed stiches for it! And besides we're going to be late!" Taeyeon said, collecting her bag from the ground, she bit her lips, the wound stings whenever she moves.
 

"You look like a mess! You cannot go to school looking like that!" Sunny retorted.
 

"Well, just go then. I'll just go home, Park Hoon oppa will be able to sort me right back up." Taeyeon told them with a weak smile.
 

"But still... Maybe we should clean your wound first before you go home?" Kim Jaejoong suggested and that's the only time Jessica and Sunny noticed him. They wondered why they didn't notice him right away when he might be the most noticeable guy on the street with his tall stature and handsome face. "We got first aid kit at home."
 

"A-andwae." Taeyeon begged off. "Park Hoon oppa will be able to—"

 

"But my house is nearer." He cut her off.

 

"I don't even know you—" Taeyeon started.

 

"You know my name. You've just said it to my face." He replied.

 

"I'm not going inside your house, I'm going home." Taeyeon said firmly.

 

"Okay, where do you live?" He asked cooly.
 

"Huh?" Taeyeon was surprised. "Just a few minutes from here, in the Hanok area."
 

"Okay." He suddenly carried her in his arms. "Tell me the directions then."
 

"Kyaaaaaaaaah!" Taeyeon, Jessica and Sunny screamed in surprise.
 

"Kim Jaejoong-ssi put me down!" Taeyeon wailed. She was afraid she might fall that she put her hands around his neck for support. "I'm might fall, put me down!"
 

"Kim Jaejoong?" Jessica and Sunny looked at each other. "Your name is Kim Jaejoong?!" They asked Jaejoong, wide-eyed.
 

"Wae?" Jaejoong frowned at them, ignoring the wriggling Taeyeon in his arms.
 

"Nothing!" Sunny quickly replied. "We just heard it somewhere from school."
 

"Ah.. Neh," Jaejoong said, grinning. "I also attend Kyunggi High like you girls do. Maybe you've heard about me winning the championship in the swimming competition last year?"
 

"Ah, geurae!" Jessica lied. She has never heard his name anywhere before, except from Taeyeon. "That's what we've heard. You're pretty popular around the school!" Jaejoong grinned at her.
 

"Okay. So you girls run to school and I will just drop your friend to their house, okay?" Jaejoong said. "You should hurry, they might close the gate."
 

"What about you?" Sunny asked. "Won't you be late?"
 

"No worries, I can climb walls." Jaejoong grinned.
 

"He would be so much hotter if Taeyeon have met him the way she did in her dreams!" Jessica whispered at Sunny as they hurried to school. "Topless!"



"Put me down!" Taeyeon said flailing her legs and wincing everytime she did because her wound stings. "I can walk!"
 

"You're not just hard-headed, you're hot-headed as well." Jaejoong thought aloud.
 

"Mwoh?" Taeyeon demanded. "How can you say that you don't even know me?!"
 

"I feel like I do." Jaejoong said looking straight to her eyes which sends shiver down her spine. " Weird, right?" Taeyeon blinked at him. "Well, don't stare at me like that. We're here at the Hanok area. Which one is your house?"

 

"Just walk straight then turn left." Taeyeon told him which he did.
 

"Woah... This house looks really ancient!" Jaejoong exclaimed as he looked at Taeyeon's house, she had to roll her eyes at this. "Did your ancestor have a high favor in the palace before?"
 

"Molla." Taeyeon said. Jaejoong put her down and ring the doorbell. "But don't feel too awed, it's just the exterior we kept, the interior has been modernized."
 

"Chinja? Interesting." He eyed the house in wonder. "What's your name, by the way?" Jaejoong inquired while waiting for the gate to be answered.
 

"Kim Taeyeon." Taeyeon mumbled.
 

"Ah geurae?" Jaejoong said then grinned. "Oh before I forget, you need to pay me back for carrying you all the way here."
 

"I didn't ask you to carry me." Taeyeon snapped at him. "You are the one who insisted on carrying me here!"
 

"Nevertheless." Jaejoong said and the gate opened.
 

"Nugusseyo?—Omo!—Young Miss! What happened to you?" Park Hoon said hysterically. "You're father told you to be careful!"
 

"She got chased by my dog." Jaejoong explained.
 

"It was your dog?!" Taeyeon said aloud. "That thing almost bit me!"
 

"Well, he's not really mine, my sister Jaekyung owns him, but anyway the good thing is the dog wasn't able to bite you." Jaejoong told her matter-of-factly.
 

"It almost gave me a heart attack!" She yelled at him indignantly.
 

"Almost, but it didn't." Jaejoong retorted.
 

"I almost got killed." She yelled again.
 

"But you're still alive." Jaejoong retorted again.
 

"Ah jeongmal!" Taeyeon exclaimed. She started to move toward him and attack but stopped and winced as her wound stung her again. "Waahh! It hurts!" She said with tears in her eyes. "This is all your fault!"

 

"Let's have that cleaned," Park Hoon told her and escorted her inside. He also invited Jaejoong inside the house who acted like he's in a museum except that he kept on complaining that they should have kept the interior as traditional as the exterior. Taeyeon rolled her eyes at every 'Wow!' and 'Awesome' that Jaejoong blurts out.
 

"Omo!" Jaejoong gasped. "You have a picture with Kim Taehee! Are you an avid fan? Omo! You seems pretty close—"
 

"We're sisters." Taeyeon informed him. Jaejoong kept on looking at the picture frames while Park Hoon cleans Taeyeon's wound.
 

"Chinja?" Jaejoong said, wide-eyed. "I didn't know she had a sister and you don't look like her."
 

"We're just half-sisters." Taeyeon said. "We have different mothers, you see."
 

"Ahh... You're lucky to have such a pretty sister." Jaejoong said aloud.
 

"Geurae." Taeyeon muttered. Everybody tells her that. Wae? Ain't unnie lucky to have me as a sister, too? She sighed and just settled on watching Park Hoon putting a gauze on her wounds.
 

"Why the long face?" Jaejoong suddenly asked her. Taeyeon looked up at him and saw that he's studying her face.
 

"Mwoh?" She demanded. What on earth is he talking about?
 

"You might be getting tired to hear that your sister is pretty." Jaejoong said.
 

"A-aniyo!" Taeyeon said defensively. She loves her sister but she's getting tired of hearing the comparison between the two of them. She knows her sister is prettier than her but she doesn't have to hear it everyday.
 

"It's alright. You're pretty, too." He told her with a grin.
 

"Mwoh?" She said incredulously. Me? Pretty?
 

"Both of you are pretty." Jaejoong told her and he doesn't seem joking." Well, actually you're more on the cute type—Omo! Look at the time!" Jaejoong exclaimed all of sudden looking at an ancient looking grandfather clock. "I need to run! I'll see you around or no, I'll come by! Annyeong!" He run and disappeared.

"He'll come by? What are we? Chingu?" Taeyeon thought aloud incredulously but looking slightly pink at his compliments.