Tripping Over

Mr. Kim Jongin Chronicles: I'm Not Hitting On My Boss

I stand in front of the building of Beau Monde Inc. Mr. Park Jung-soo said that this is the address where I’ll meet the businessman’s child. So, his child is in training to be elite, but wouldn’t he be too young? Well, those who train young and long enough make it big in this industry. I walk to the entrance and show the guard there my valid I.D. and say that I’ll be meeting the person I’ll “take care of” though I don’t know who that person is.

“Well, I do know who you could be taking care of, like a butler. Are you sure you’re suited for that work? I mean, ‘that child’ is a bit unruly,” he says, question obvious on his face. Why? What’s wrong with my work? Well, Mr. Park Jung-soo didn’t tell me who the person I’ll be taking care of. I quickly dispatch the thought.
“Well, you don’t have to make conclusions like that. Maybe you don’t have enough time to know the person. And he is a child, a kid, so I understand if he or she is unruly.”
“A kid? Are you …? Okay, face the consequences. Good day, miss,” he say and he let me step in the building.
Is the guard telling me that the person I’ll accompany is a bit older, err, more mature than I thought. There’s only one way to find out.

BEAUTY IS KEY, CONFIDENCE IS CLASSIC is written in bold letters above the reception area and two men on duty talks to a girl in five inches high red pumps. I observe the clinical looking room yet it is enveloped by bright individuals dressed in black, blue or red. I look down on me, looking fine but a bit too casual for the occasion. I think I don’t fit here but work is work and I’m desperate for money, excessively. I walk slowly to the reception area when I hear a ping from the right. The elevator opens and out goes a sleek and a skillfully perfected man in suit and tie; his eyes covered with black tinted glasses, so I can’t really see how he can look more perfect. Everyone he passes by stops and bows as if a sign of respect to him. I continue walking to the reception area when I finally reach it. The man passes by behind me and the two men stands up and bows down.

“Chogeeyo, I’m Ms. Choi Joo-yeon and I’m sent here by Mr. Park Jung-soo from Magnum Opus Company to a job to accompany a businessman’s ‘son.’ And what I mean by son is a child, am I right about that?” I say emphasizing child. It’s odd that a child is in a place like this, where mature and from high society individuals should be.
“Ms. Choi, the person you’re looking for is,” Receptionist number one whispers then stops.
I turn around the exit and see the sleek guy stop, turn around and walk my direction. He stops a meter away from me and his presence is weirdly clarifying.

 “Nuguseyo?” the sleek man from the elevator asks coolly.
“Ne?”Why exactly is he asking my name? Did I catch his attention, by chance?
“Your name is Ne?”
“Anniyeo,” I say, getting scatterbrained. Mr. Beautiful-But-I-Can’t-See-Your-Face is being intimidating.
“Anniyeo? Your name is Anniyeo? Why would somebody name their daughter that way?” he asks sarcastically and very mean.
“Mo…Mohae?” I ask him. This is too shocking. “Wae? Nuguseyo? Why are you acting mean at someone you don’t know? What did I do wrong? Did I disrespect you?”
His eyes grow big and his expression shows that I disturbed some part of him. Did I go overboard? No, I didn’t. Rich people always look down on people who are not from the same world as they are.
“Me? I’m Kai and I’m no one. I was just passing by, being bowed down by my people and then I saw you, not paying respect. That says it, I’m no one, I’m just plain old Kai,” he says intensely then shakes his head. He moves toward me, probably too near. He leans down on me and grabs the collar of my dress and says “Know your place in this world,” and then he releases me turns around and walks to the exit.

I turn back around to the reception and stares at the receptionists.
“Did you know what the wreck that is? He’s so mean. I was just looking for work and then he trashed me without knowing me. And to add, he was a no one. He said he’s a no one. I think he’s frequent here, isn’t he? Who the heck is he? Who the heck is Kai? And what an ugly name! Kai, Kai,” I tell both the receptionist, gesturing through air. I see the reflection of people piling behind me, looking at me. Why? What’s wrong with them?

“Ms. Choi, he’s the person Mr. Park Jung-soo said you’ll accompany. You’ll be his personal assistant and he was waiting for you for more than an hour. He hates late people and he got enraged that his new P.A isn’t here yet and he’s almost late for his outdoor meeting with Wits Apparel.”
“So… You’re saying that I really disrespected him more and …” Ommo~na! This is my end!
“Yes and yes. If you want to have a chance to keep your applied job, you must go and appeal to him.”

I run out the building and his car is about eight meters away.
“I told you so!” the guard shouts at me as I run pass him to run to Mr… Mr. Kai … Argh, whatever. He’s seriously laughing. I stop and turn to the guard who gives me an ironic smile.
“Aish!” I shout and run. The guard could’ve warned me what kind of person he is. Wait, he did. Mr. Park Jung-soo didn’t brief me anything about this guy and I’m losing my job by doing nothing …well, something bad. The stop light is on orange and I’m getting near the car. It turns red and I run faster to get really near and halt the car. I won’t make it, I think I won’t. The stoplight turns orange again and soon it will turn green. A few seconds before its color change, I run in front of the car and stop and stand there. The car moves little and the driver beeps the horn. I cover my ears with my hands and close my eyes. The beeping continues, too deafening I even believe I’m dead.

“What are you? I told you to know your place in this world!” Mr. Kai says as he goes out the car and walk to me. He grabs sharply me by my arm and says, “Are you some kind of crazy dog? If you think that your place in this world is a graveyard, don’t include me. Now, get out of the way,” he says, then releases me.
“Jakaman (wait),” I say. I reach for his hand and hold it to stop him from walking. He looks back at me and I notice that cars behind his car changed lanes just to pass by us. He pushes my hand away and asks me what I want.

“I was the one sent by Magnum Opus Company to be your personal assistant. I badly need this job to feed my niece and nephews.”
“Why you? Don’t they have parents?” he say sarcastically.
“They have an aphba but he’s worthless. He’s a drunkard and he has no work. Please, let me have this job. I’m sorry about a while ago. I didn’t know who you were. I wasn’t briefed by Mr. Park Jung-soo so I know nothing about you or your family or anything. Please allow me to just know who you are or at least let me work. I promise to do my work well. I won’t fail you,” I say begging.

His expression is dark; I guess he’s thinking twice about this. I hope he would accept me. He bite his lower lip and lets out a heavy sigh.
“Fine. One chance and if you bring shame on me, you will have it!” he says and walks toward the car. He accepted me to be his P.A. This is the moment I always wanted to happen. I will finally have ways to help my family survive.
“What are you still doing? Damn it! Don’t cause traffic and don’t get me late! Get in the car,” he says and he enters the car. I run to the backseat and when I open the door he says, “What the? You sit in front beside Mr. Lau.”
“Ne,” I breathe. Jeez, this is excessively embarrassing. I close the door and walk to the front, open the door and sit beside the driver, I mean, Mr. Lau. I sit back and release a heavy sigh. I look at the back mirror and see him shake his head in disbelief.
“Mr … Mr. Kai, I’m sorry that I’m such a mess, even if I just started,” I say, a bit too silent.
“Good that you know that. Now, just keep quiet. I’m going to waste my voice if I talk to you and I have a meeting.”
“Ne,” I say and look away from the mirror. His voice now is a bit calm, not like a while ago when he keeps on shouting at me. He even said ‘keep quiet’ and not ‘shut up’. I guess he can be nice, if I get to know him.

The car stops in front of a classy café. I walk out the car and open his door. I’m really starting my work. I close the car door. He stands a few inches away from me and when I turn around, he walks away.
“Mr. Kai,” I say at full volume as I walk or run to him. He stops walking and turns around. He removes his eyeglasses and I …I …. He’s really handsome and simply perfect.
“Oh? Yeppeoyo,” I suddenly say, without notice. I cover my mouth with my hand.
“Yeppeoyo? You were really living under a rock, aren’t you? I know how people react when they see me, so it’s normal. And it’s a first someone uttered ‘yeppeoyo’. I know I’m handsome, that I’m a pretty boy. But I won’t take you with me inside the café. You stay in the car. You still have to know what runs in my business so you may be of help to me,” he says. He doesn’t move away and I thought he is late.
“Don’t stare at me. You will melt if you do,” he says, taps my forehead and a small smile escapes his lips. He walks inside the café and shakes hands with a guy dressed casually.

I walk back to the car and sit inside. Pretty faced- guy, standing close to me, like so close and he’s damn sleek like a god. He’s perfect, I guess, for someone belonging to his world … and I’m working so he’s not part of my list before dying.
“What’s your name? I’m sorry what happened at the road a while ago. Sir was furious, really furious, more than ever. He said he was sent a late P.A. and a girl disrespected him in his domain. I don’t see the reason why he won’t be disrespected. He’s really snooty and it shows.”
I smile at Mr. Lau and answer his question.
“Choneun~ Choi Joo-yeon imnida. It’s okay. I was probably planning to die anyway. And I’m that girl you talked about. I’m the late P.A. and the disrespectful girl on his lobby. I guess he’s really snooty. But he can smile, so maybe he’s not much of that.”
“Smile? Sir smiled?” he asks loudly. I almost jump off my seat.
“Mr. Lau, there’s no need to shout and yes, he did smile. Wae? Why are you so shocked?”
“Sir never smiles at anyone. Not even those he have business partnerships with and even his clients. Maybe you were dreaming.”
“I don’t think so, Mr. Lau. I was staring at him; well, he says I was staring at him. And he smiled after he tapped my forehead.”
“Oh, still brutally done. Such a sadist. But still, he doesn’t smile.”
“Mr. Lau, I guess we better not talk about Mr. Kai. We probably don’t know much about him.”
“I guess I know pretty much everything about him. But, you’re right, it’s mean to talk this way to the person who gives you the salary to feed your family.”
I smile at Mr. Lau and say, “That’s the way to go!”

We wait in the car and Mr. Lau falls asleep and he’s snoring really loud. I stare out the window and through it, I can see Mr. Kai. Jeez, Mr. Kai, where did that came from? I don’t know anything about him so it’s embarrassing to point things out to him. I feel as if I drank a lot of water a while ago because my bladders feeling heavy. Mr. Lau grunts and he shifts from his position; I tap his arm and he looks at me, his right eye half-open.
“Mr. Lau, I’m just going inside to the bathroom. I don’t want putting a pool here.” I didn’t wait for him to reply so I go out of the car. I run in, passing by Mr. Kai who doesn’t notice me. I go inside the girl’s CR and do my thing there. I wash my hands, dry it and walk out.

“Kim Jong In thinks he’s such a professional. If he only didn’t carry his father’s name, then he wouldn’t. He has such a big head and a loud mouth. Beau Monde Inc. would probably fall, when he takes over. He only possesses a pretty-face that he thinks will take him high,” a man suited in casual but dignified clothes.
“Lee Sungyeol, don’t you think you’re getting overboard? Well, you have the right to. How can he put down the part of the deal that’s essential to our growth?” This is the only time I realize that they’re talking about Mr. Kai. As his P.A, I think I need to be a vassal to my lord.
“Chogeeyo, ah, aneonghaseo” I say to both of them, bowing.
“Oh, Aneonghaseo. Is there anything I … we could be of help to you?” that Lee Sungyeol guy asks. “She’ll be a great model for our new collection. Even if Beau Monde’s heir dumped us, this beautiful girl will make us skyrocket,” I hear him rapidly whisper to the other guy.
“Ah, anniyeo. I just heard you talking.”
“Well, I think it’s none of your business.”
“Well, I think it is. How can you say that? That Beau Monde Inc.’s heir is such a big head and loud mouth? You hardly know the person. You’ve been making conclusions and predictions that is as bad as you mock my boss.”
“Boss? So you’re an employee of Jong In? What a shame! Here, let me get you straight. He’s not the person you would like to encounter. And if you are his P.A, let me tell you, you’re the fourth one this month. No one lasts him long. So I’m offering you a deal. I’ll ensure you of larger salary to be a model of Wits Apparel.”
“I’m sorry but I’m not selling off myself. I’m not a cheap jerk out for sale.”
“Oh, mommy’s getting mad at us. Kim Jong In is not your typical ‘baby’. If you want to enslave yourself to him, be his mother. It’s better that way, maybe you’ll last.”

“Choi Joo-yeon! I told you to,” Mr. Kai shouts and then stops. We all turn to look at him; he’s looking more furious upon seeing the two from Wits Apparel.
“Mr. Kai,” he walks to us and grab my wrist tightly.
“Didn’t I tell you to wait inside the car? What are you doing here?” he inquires madly, clenching his hand tightly on my wrist.
“I told you he’s such a loud mouth. So, the deal is still open,” Lee Sungyeol mockingly says.
“I told you, I’m not for selling off. And I’m warning you, if you ever talk unpleasantly about him, better get lost, because you wouldn’t want my nails clawing on you. You might lose your skin.”
“Mommy’s going to lose it. And his baby is here to help her. We better stop, don’t you think?” Sungyeol tells with irony to the guy he’s with.
“Watch your word Lee. Beau Monde Inc.’s a prominent firm in this industry. Wits Apparel survived because of us. We’re just heirs for now and my father and your father holds our company, so we’re off the deal they’re in. I disregard the deal that your company would use ‘suggestive’ models. Be professional Lee, Wits will fall if you continue how you look at businesses.”

I am now mesmerized how Mr. Kai said his sentences that I’m aware that I’m staring at him.
“And my P.A isn’t for sale, as she said. Modeling is a bit too low for someone who talks with shouty capitals.” And now, he’s mocking me. He turns his heel and drags me out of the café.

“What were you doing there? I gave you one chance and you’re losing it.”
“Mr. Kai, I mean, Mr. Kim Jong In, I only went to the CR because of …necessities. I heard them as I walk out the room. I realized they were talking about you and I just want to defend you because you’re the person that will help my family survive.”
He looks at me impassively. His deep, dark eyes are staring at me and I think I’m going crazy. Hell, no. I’m here for work. He’s off the list, remember that. He swallows and his eyes roll as if he can’t accept what I said.
“Get in the car,” he orders me, not saying anything about what I said. His expression a while ago maybe says it all. I walk in the car and sit down beside Mr. Lau and he starts driving us back to Beau Monde Inc. When he gets off the car, I follow him inside, aware that his employees are looking at the early churl. He mounts the elevator and I stop in front it.

“What are you doing?”
“Staying away from you,” I say absentmindedly. He throws me a puzzled look. His face still perfectly contoured.
“Staying away? Wae? Are you feeling …” he leans to the side, to probably press the open button.
“Feeling what? Uhm…awkward and utterly embarrassed? Then, maybe yes. And what I mean by staying away is that I’m keeping fair distance. I’ll just get on the other elevator. You go ahead, sir, Mr. Kim.”
“Ms. Choi Joo-yeon, enter the elevator, now,” he says in a commanding voice. Okay, I’m admitting to myself that he’s really intimidating, the sweet painful type. I’m aware that I’m having bad butterflies swarming my stomach, but it feels somehow good. Weird, I better stop myself.
   I step in the elevator and press the ‘close’ button. I discreetly look at my right to catch a glimpse of Kai.
“8th floor,” he says distantly. Jeez, Kai can be unfathomable. He seems welcoming a while ago at the café, before he enter. Then the incident with Wits Apparel came, to ruin his secret playful emotion.

“Deafening silence,” I whisper to myself and then look up to see that we’re still at 5th floor. Why does the elevator don’t stop to pick up other employees? Right, I’m so stupid! I’m with Beau Monde Inc.’s heir and going together with employees might be suffocating, not unless he says that that employee should come with him. 
“I’m sorry,” he suddenly says. Is he saying that to me? I mean, it’s not necessary to talk with him if there’s nothing to talk about. I turn to look at him and he is on the phone. He looks at me shocked that I’m paying attention and probably being evasive with his personal conversations. I look away, stare at the metallic door and let out a sigh.
“Did you think I was talking to you?” he says, moving forward to my side. Too close, it’s suffocating.
“Ah…Honestly, yes. But to think of it, why would you? So, pretend that you didn’t see me look at you,” I say.
“Are you ordering me of what to do?” he says, a deprecating smile on his face.
“No, I was just suggesting. Look at it that way, so you’ll cool your boiling head, if you’re almost bound to. You shouldn’t look at things the bad way,” I stop and take a deep breath. “It’ll ruin your handsome face,” I whisper to myself, smiling at the end. I look at him; his expression is obviously saying I’m preposterous. Did he hear what I said? The elevator pings open and he walks out and I follow.

“Joo-yeon, you’re language is ….unusually peculiar. About a while ago, at the café, thank you for standing up in my defense. I didn’t need that though, but you were brave to do that. No personal assistant of mine ever did that, since none of them really lasts. They were freaked out by me, I don’t really know why,” he says, sitting down on his classy chair across his table. He tilts his head to the side, to where other chairs are, as if telling me to sit down. I walk to the chairs and sit on the one farthest from him.
“You’re too far, will you be able to hear me talk?”
“I guess so, I’m not deaf,” I say, being sarcastic. He looks at me expressionless. I smile back at him, appearing cute and all. His eyes suddenly shift away.

This is so fun, being annoying to a person who freaks people out. I won’t be one of them. His moment of intimidating me ends hours ago. I’m climbing up my ladder to reach him and make him realize I’m not a ty social climber and I’m worth my work. When did I ever muster the courage? Oh, this is the courage that took me from my previous works, Mr. Park saying it is a disaster. Mr. Kim Jong In, you’ve met your worst disadvantage. I’ll make you look at us differently.

“Maybe Lee Sungyeol was right,” he suddenly tells me.
“Right? About what? Hiring me to be a model? And what did you say? Suggestive models that clearly states ism?”
“No, I prove to myself that you’re not cheap for ism and you prove that you use shouty capitals. What I mean is, you, being a nagger, a mother. I won’t question how you ended up that way. You look younger than me, but by nagging, you seem like you are a mother,” he says, hiding a smile.
“I seriously don’t know how to react to that so I’ll keep quiet. But I’ll say one thing, that’s too much, like blah,” I say, caught off guard with the mother thing. He giggles small, finding joy in my discomfort.
“So, do you still like your job? This is how I deal with my P.A’s, if you don’t know. Thinking of it, this is probably the reason why they ditch me even if they’re not even week-long here,” he says, clapping his hand once as he realizes his downside.
“Mr. Kim Jong In,” I say, sounding nasty, I say so myself. “Your words …”
“They want to make you leave?”
“No, they want me to stay with you even longer, longer than my life.”
“You’re being freaky,” he says.
“I know I’m a creep. A creeper than you,” I say with a smile.
“Mommy,” he says to me.
“Is that an address?”
“Yes,” he says straightforwardly. He looks at his watch and looks at me, “You’re …dismissed. I’ll see you tomorrow. Don’t be late or both you and I will lose it.”
I stand up and walk to him. I set my hand on his table on bend forward, probably too near that I move back myself. I reach forward and mess with his hair by swishing my hand over it.
“I’ll see you tomorrow, Baby Kai.” I move back and turn around and walk.
“Don’t get yourself hit by a car, like what you intended to do a while ago. Don’t think I’m concerned. I’m not … about you…. I’m concerned about your niece and nephews.” Okay, that does it, falling for his charm is suddenly an option. I was able to gather courage to stand up for his defense against Sungyeol, able to gather courage to point out to him that I’m not a lowly person. What else needs courage?
“Oh? You suddenly care for me? I mean, my niece and nephews? That’s sweet of you. I’ll be sweeter, extra sweeter. I like you now, because a while ago, I don’t. Oh, and,” I walk forward him, “내 남자친구가 되어줄래? (Nae namja chinguga doeeojullae) (Will you be my boyfriend)?”
“Argh… Mommy, anniyeo!!”
“Aww… Appayo… You broke my heart. Anyway, I’ll find somebody else, baby. I’ll see you tomorrow,” I say, forcing a pitiful face but I seriously just want to laugh at his expression when he heard me asking that unusual question. I walk out his office, closing his door, silently. Then I heard a scream of annoyance. I’m going to get in his nerves by being excessively annoying.