Birthday

Pinky Promise

Seohyun sat up in bed startled, the bright, early sun shining through the cracks of the curtain on her window. 

"Pinky promise, huh..." She rubbed her eyes and stretched, "some promise he kept." Seohyun's dream brought her back to her childhood days, one of which she played with a young boy most of the time. Though she could barely even remember his face now, the pinky promise they made never left her heart, even after the boy left town shortly after. 
 
"Today makes it the tenth year, and my seventeenth birthday," Seohyun mumbled to herself while making her way to the bathroom to freshen up for her big day. 
 
"Joo Hyun-ah!" It was her mother calling to her, "hurry up or you'll be late for school!"
 
"I'm almost ready, hold on!" Rushing now, Seohyun quickly applied the lightest of makeup on her face and donned her school uniform, the same one she'd worn for the past year as a second year student in high school. With a final approving glance in the mirror, she made her way down to the kitchen. 
 
"Good morning, eomma!" She plastered the biggest smile on her face. 
 
"Good morning, my little Joo Hyun-ah. Ohh you're growing up so fast, I can't believe it's already your seventeenth birthday today!" Her mother brought her in for a hug, and continued to serve Seohyun her birthday breakfast consisting of pancakes, an omelette, and fruit. A perfectly healthy meal for a bright young teenager like Seohyun. 
 
"Mm, delicious as always. Thanks for breakfast eomma, I'm off to school now!"
 
"Have fun, Joo Hyun-ah," she and her mother hugged once more, now with Seohyun leaving for school. 
 
---
 
With a hop in her step, Seohyun arrived to school with the brightest aura around her and not a care in the world. Opening up her locker, she didn't even notice the sealed envelope floating to the ground next to her feet. 
 
"Seoooohyun!" A giddy figure with blonde, wavy hair ran up next to her and lightly shook her by the shoulders, "it's yoooooour birthday!!"
 
"Hehe, that's right! I'm officially seventeen, Hyoyeon-ah," Seohyun posed with a cute V-sign over her eyes. 
 
"Ooooh, you're so adorable and..uh Hyunnie, what's that next to your foot?" Hyoyeon pointed to the ground where the letter was. 
Seohyun picked it up and opened it, reading its contents, "'To my dear Joo Hyun, I'm going to keep that promise.' Promise? I wonder who wrote this..."
 
"Eek! OMG, do you think it's a secret admirer?? My little Hyun, all grown up and soon to find herself a boyfriend?!" Hyoyeon gave an overdramatic performance, "I think I'm gonna cry, yup crying."
 
"Oh stop that Hyoyeon! Hahah, let's just get to class already," Seohyun placed the intriguing letter into her bag for further inspection later on, ceasing to ponder about the contents of the note. 
 
---
 
During the lessons, Seohyun's thoughts kept wandering towards that of the letter. Who have I made a promise to recently..? I don't think I've made many to guys...but what if it was..
 
"..sst. Psst...PSST Seohyun!" A voice brought her back to reality, it was Minhyuk, her seat partner in science, "page 98..you're being called on for the next problem.."
 
"Ah, oh sorry. Thanks," she quickly answered the teacher without being questioned, "I owe you one."
 
"I-it's no problem," he quietly stammered and looked straight ahead, "you don't have to owe me anything..by the way, what were you thinking so hard about? I've never seen you so dazed out before."
 
"Oh...well there was this thing..this morning...and it caught me off guard.."
 
"R-really now? Wow, I guess it must have been pretty surprising to even affect you," he gave Seohyun a small smile and slid her a handwritten note to her desk. Opening it slowly, the message inside was enough to make her smile; 'By the way... Happy Birthday, Seohyun. From Kang Minhyuk.' She proceeded to mouth a simple thank you to him as the bell rang for lunch to start.
 
"WHAT?? THAT'S SO CUTE, TELL ME MORE!!" Hyoyeon's exceptionally loud voice brought unwanted eyes to the girls' lunch table, consisting of Seohyun, Hyoyeon, and a few others from their usual circle of friends. 
 
"SHHH! Hyoyeon unnie! I wasn't sure what to make of it...but I did say thank you afterwards," the troubled birthday girl continued to eat her homemade lunch with care, "first the letter, now Minhyuk. I don't know what to think of my birthday this year!"
 
"Hmmm, it looks to me like some drama-like romance will hit you soon Seohyun," one of the table friends, Yoona, spoke out, "this could be quite interesting."
 
"Ehhhhh...probably not. I'm tasteless and unattractive, I doubt anyone is interested in me! This could all be a prank for someone's entertainment," Seohyun proceeded to pack up her now empty lunch box into her bag, dropping a sealed envelope on the table as she ped the large pocket. Pausing to pick it up she mumbled to herself, "That's strange..I could've sworn I opened it this morn-" she now noticed this envelope being addressed to her personally, the first not having any indication of a recipient on the envelope. Seohyun opened it carefully, this time the contents read, 'Joo Hyun-ah, do you want to play a scavenger hunt?'
 
 

A/N

Yup. Totally writing this from the top of my head this time. Enjoy as I create magic LOL.