A Game?

Pinky Promise

 

'Joo Hyun-ah, do you want to play a scavenger hunt? I'll be waiting until you can find me, birthday girl. If you agree to playing, your first clue is this: whether or not you decided to pay, remember that people eat bread or boxed lunches each day.'
 
Sc-scavenger hunt..?!! No way...this can't be happening. This is the most I've ever had happen to me. Seohyun stared at the letter in her hands, the girls surrounding her without her awareness. 
 
"OMG, Hyunnie has a secret admirer!!" Hyoyeon burst into excitement, dragging the rest of the girls along in her outburst, "EEK! AND he wants her to find him by playing a scavenger hunt!!" Seohyun continued to sit still in shock, realizing her letter was gone and explained, "Hyoyeon unnie. I don't think this is a good idea. To follow the orders of someone to find them while I don't even know them!"
 
"Who knows, this could be a good chance for you to find out who the mysterious person is," Yoona began to persuade, "I mean, even if you have no interest in him you could just say you had fun playing along with him."
 
"GOOD IDEA!!" Hyoyeon shouted once more, whining and holding up the note in front of Seohyun, "c'mon Hyunnie! Just do iiiit."
 
"O-okay, fine! I'll play along..but I want to do this on my own, alright?" She received approving nods from the table, with Hyoyeon's pouty expression agreeing last. "I should hurry before lunch ends, I'll see you guys later!" Seohyun took off towards the school's hallways, reading the letter over for any hints to the next clue. 
 
Alright Joo Hyun, you're a smart girl. Riddles shouldn't be a problem if it's in this school..
 
'..I'll be waiting until you can find me, birthday girl. If you agree to playing, your first clue is this: whether or not you decided to pay, remember that people eat bread or boxed lunches each day...'
 
Hmm..paying, bread...if you don't bring a boxed lunch, then people would usually eat bread. OH, which you'd have to pay for at the vending machines! Good job me! Seohyun darted off to the school's set of vending machines, searching every nook and cranny for a sign of a clue.
 
"Ah! There!" She ripped off an envelope taped to the side of the vending machine, and opened it with caution. 
 
'So you've decided to play along to find me huh... Well alright then. Next clue!...'
 
---
 
The end of the school day had already come, and Seohyun's mystery person was pretty skilled at keeping her on her toes to this point. 
 
"It's almost time to find him," she clutched onto several clue letters she found throughout the school during her class breaks, the last one stating:
 
'Congratulations Joo Hyun-ah, you've almost discovered my final clue. I've left the last envelope in a place only you have access to. Don't worry, even if you can't find it, there's plenty of time. I'll be waiting to fulfill your promise.'
 
"Only I have access to..? My locker?" Seohyun began sprinting to her book locker, swiftly unlocking the door to unveil her final letter decorated in gold lining. Taking it into her hands, she once again unsealed the envelope with care, soaking in the words like a sponge. 
 
'If you want to know who I am Joo Hyun-ah, then meet me at the place where we made our promise. Don't worry, there's plenty of time. I'll be waiting.'
 
Place? What place? ..have I made any promises somewhere special..? Seohyun was deep in thought as a familiar figure walked up, gently touching her on the shoulder and startling her. 
 
"Seohyun?" Minhyuk. "What are you still doing at school?"
 
"Ah, Minhyuk," she caught her breath, "sorry, you scared me for a second. I was..uhm...just going over my pen pal letter I was going to send tomorrow! It's all good and ready to go, haha.." Seohyun began walking towards the exit, stopping for a moment to turn around asking, "Minhyuk, have I ever mentioned making promises to you before?"
 
"N-no..why do you ask?"
 
"Mm..it's nothing. I'll see you tomorrow then," she waved and set off home, still wondering about the clue and any places where she could've made a promise. 
 
Minhyuk, who was left behind to wave back goodbye, sighed quietly as Seohyun's shadow exited the school. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box, opening it slightly to reveal the glimmering piece of jewelry in the shape of a dove inside. 
 
"I was too late...again."