Chapter 2

I Can't Stay Away (Hiatus)

'Need help?' 

 

Yuri heard someone asking her but the huge box that she was carrying prevented her from seeing who the voice belonged to. She slowly made her way to the front of her rented apartment. Yoona's girlfriend, Seohyun had helped with the apartment rental. Apparently, one of the tenants in the apartment happened to be the girlfriend of one of her friends. Yoona was suppose to help the girl move to her new room but the girl got called to help her father out in his office. She finally placed the large box down and saw a girl standing by the door that was across her room. 

 

'Sorry, couldn't really see with the box. Thanks for the offer though.'

 

'No problem. I'm Kim Taeyeon, I guess we'll be seeing more of each other then. Nice to meet you, neighbor.'

 

'Yuri. Kwon Yuri. It's nice to meet you too.'

 

Yuri shook hands with her new neighbor from across the hall. 

 

'Got to go. I'll see you around.'

 

Taeyeon waved to the taller girl.

 

She seems nice 

 

Yuri thought to herself as she opened the door to her new apartment. Her apartment still looked bare despite already moving almost all of her stuff. Then again, that was just how she was. Yuri knew that if she spent more time on decorating and making the place look like its 'hers', she would just make it more difficult when she has to move. Nothing is ever permanent and she learnt it the hard way. If there was one thing that the failed relationship thought her, it was that she should never be attached to anything or anyone. 

 

Yuri settled down on the couch that the previous tenant had left behind and took out her phone. The message was still there even though she has yet to reply. She contemplated for a bit. She knew that her wound isn't fully healed yet. Was she ready to face the girl that broke her heart? Was she ready to see Jessica again? A year should be enough to move on right? But not for Yuri. The relationship she had with Jessica was intense. One that made her feel the highest high and the lowest low. She knew deep down that she still has a soft spot for Jessica and even after all the hurt, Yuri knew that she would take Jessica back in a heartbeat. The only problem is, she's a firm believer that a relationship that has been broken can never truly be put back together. 

 

I just got back from a trip. What's up? - Yuri

 

She typed a reply and sent it

 

                                                                                          X                      X

 

Tiffany was busy unpacking when she heard the bell ring.  

 

'Hey Taetae!' 

 

She greeted her girlfriend with a tight hug. Tiffany had long forgotten about her encounter with the beautiful stranger in Japan. She pulled away from the hug and looked at Taeyeon. The girl looked like she had something to say.

 

'What's wrong?'

 

She asked.

 

'N..Nothing. I missed you.'

 

Taeyeon told the girl. The guilt of sleeping with someone was starting to creep in. 

 

What she doesn't know won't hurt her right?

 

Taeyeon tried to convince herself

 

'Look what I got you.'

 

Tiffany showed Taeyeon the gifts that she had bought during her trip

 

'Let's take a break from unpacking.'

 

Taeyeon slowly pulled Tiffany towards the bedroom. All she wanted to do was cuddle with the younger girl. She wasn't ready for what might happen if the truth is out in the open. As selfish as it may sound, Taeyeon doesn't want to lose Tiffany. What happened a few days ago was a mistake. A drunken mistake. But it's a mistake that is irreversible. A mistake that would change everything. As Taeyeon snuggled against Tiffany, she wished that there was a time machine. This time, Taeyeon messed up. She messed up big time.

 

 

                                                                                          X                      X

 

Yuri walked towards her car after receiving a reply from Jessica. The girl had asked if it was okay for Yuri to pick her up at her apartment. Yuri agreed since she wanted to get it over and done with. The ride to Jessica's was a painfully slow one. Familiar streets, familiar stores as she drove down a neighborhood that she swore she knew at the back of her hand. The number of times she had driven Jessica home or picked the girl up for their dates during their relationship helped with her great sense of direction in that area. There wasn't any major changes since the last time she drove down the road to Jessica's place. Well, other than the fact that she had taken great caution to take other alternative routes to get to her various destinations just so that she doesn't have to drive through memory lane. 

 

It's too late to turn back now

 

Yuri told herself as she turned into Jessica's driveway

 

I'm here - Yuri

 

Yuri texted the girl. She would have called but she didn't. Yuri watched as the front door opened. She found herself staring at the girl. Jessica still looked the same. The same girl that she fell in love with in college. The same girl that broke her heart into a million pieces.

 

'Hey.'

 

'Hey'

 

They shared awkward greetings. What else could they say? It has been almost a year since they last saw each other. Their last memory of each other was them yelling at each other. Broken pieces of glass on the floor, no apologies said. Their last memory was a horrible one. Why Jessica ended up texting Yuri after months of zero contact is a mystery. Why Yuri even agreed to meeting the girl was a bigger mystery. Maybe, just maybe as much as they both wanted to say it out loud, they were still very much in love with each other. 

 

Jessica didn't have to say another word and Yuri didn't waste any more time as she reversed her car. They didn't say anything else and the silence in the car was deafening. It's the wasn't the awkward kind of silence or the comfortable one that lovers share. It's the kind of silence that was needed. The calm before the storm. A storm that had been building up for almost a year.

 

Yuri parked her car at a spot where they used to spend their time talking in the car. She looked at the girl sitting in the passenger seat and saw a look that she had seen only a few times. A look that was full of guilt. A look that she saw when they broke up.

 

'Why didn't you fight for us?'

 

Jessica said, looking down at her feet. Yuri stayed where she was. Unmoved. She watched as Jessica started to cry. It broke Yuri's heart to see the girl like that. Vulnerable. Yuri leaned forward to unbuckled the girl's seatbelt. While doing so, her nose caught the familiar scent. Jessica was still using the same perfume. Yuri knew that Jessica was crying over something else. There was more to her breaking down like this. 

 

 

'Why didn't you fight for us?'

 

'I did.'

 

'You just left.'

 

'Because you wanted me to'

 

'You know that's not what I meant.'

 

'How was I suppose to know, Sica? Didn't we agree from the start that we would say what we mean and mean what we say? Didn't we agree that the relationship was going to be one without all the mind games? You said that it was a mistake. You wanted us to break up.'

 

'You know that I didn't mean it. You know that I said it out of anger.'

 

'No. You meant it. I saw it in your eyes when you said those words. Just don't. Nothing you say now will change anything.'

 

'You broke my heart.'

 

'And you did the same to mine.'

 

'I shouldn't have texted you. We shouldn't have met' 

 

'Then why did you? Why did you? I was doing fine without you. I was starting to come to terms that you're no longer mine.'

 

'Because you were my person. I didn't know who else who wouldn't judge me. I'm sorry. Let's stop fighting. Can't we just be friends? We always end up fighting.'

 

Yuri frowned, wondering what the girl meant by the whole 'judging' thing. 

 

'I can't. I don't think I can ever be friends with you. I don't think we can ever be friends. We'll just end up hurting each other.'

 

Yuri told the girl. There was a long silence again before Jessica opened the car door. 

 

'Where are you going?'

 

'Home.'

 

'I'll send you home.'

 

'It's fine. I'm sorry I asked you out. I'm sorry I hurt you.'

 

Jessica gave Yuri one last look before she closed the door.

 

Yuri watched as the girl walked away. A part of her told her not to move but another part of her told her that Jessica needs her now. She knew that there was something that Jessica wasn't telling her. The only thing is, does she want to know about it? Yuri lets out a sigh and opened her door. 

 

'Sica!'

 

Yuri ran after the girl and held her hand. 

 

'I'm sorry too.'

 

She hugged the girl. 

 

How can I ever let you go when you believed in me more than I believe in myself?