Chapter 5

I Can't Stay Away (Hiatus)

Hey guys, 

I'm sorry for the lack of updates. I'll be putting the story on hiatus since I'll be away for until 17th Feb. I'll finish up the story overseas and post the completed chapters on the 18th. So I guess, I'll see you next month. Stay safe, stay warm or try not to get dehydrated (depending on where you are). Thanks for all the subcriptions, votes and comments so far. Really appreciate it. 

 

See you on the 18th!

- mischiefhwang.

 

==========================================================================================

Jessica had walked away from Tiffany when she realized that she had forgotten her cardigan in the lecture. After getting her cardigan, she was about to leave when she spotted Tiffany talking to another girl. Jessica was a few steps away from approaching the girl when she overhead their conversation. A conversation that made her stomach curl.

 

'What are you plans later? Are you meeting Taeyeon?' 

 

Jessica heard the taller girl next to Tiffany ask. She stopped in her tracks when she heard the familiar name

 

Taeyeon? It can't be.

 

'I'm planning to do my readings. The prof gave us a bunch of articles to read this morning.'

 

'Oh. You're really not meeting Taeyeon?'

 

Sooyoung asked Tiffany. She found it strange that the couple aren't as clingy as they used to be. 

 

'I'm not. Why do you make it sound like it's a big deal?'

 

'Nothing. I just thought if you're going over to Sunny's, we could head over together.'

 

'Didn't know you and Sunny were close.'

 

'W….We're just friends.'

 

'Yeah sure.'

 

As soon as Jessica heard Sunny's name, she knew that the possibility of Tiffany's 'Taeyeon' being the same Taeyeon that she knew was higher. She watched as the two girls walked in the opposite direction from her. Almost immediately, she picked up her phone to send a message. Hoping that it was just her mind playing tricks. 

 

Was this why I found her familiar?

 

 

                                                                           X                      X

 

 

Taeyeon received a message just a few minutes after she texted Yuri. It wasn't until she saw who the sender was that a frown on her face appeared.

 

We need to talk - Jessica

 

There's no need. I thought we made it clear the other day. It was a mistake. - Taeyeon

 

Does she know? Does Tiffany know? - Jessica

 

Taeyeon stared at her phone. She was sure that Jessica didn't even know Tiffany. She was sure that she has never mentioned Tiffany's name before. Taeyeon was absolutely sure because the night that she slept with Jessica, was the first time that they had met after all those years. She also knew that Jessica hasn't been keeping in contact with any of their high school friends since she got into college. Sunny mentioned that the girl was in a very committed relationship and the only reason why Jessica even turned up for their mini gathering was because Hyoyeon dragged her to the club. 

 

'Hey, does anyone from our high school know about Tiffany?' 

 

Taeyeon asked Sunny.

 

'Huh? Judging from how they were all gushing over you the other night. I don't think so. Speaking of that night, where did you disappear to?' 

 

Sunny asked but her eyes were still fixed to the screen

 

'Oh. I wasn't feeling too well. Sorry I left without saying goodbye. Anyway, I'm going to get us some ice.'

 

Taeyeon came up with an excuse to get out of Sunny's apartment.

 

'Sure. Can you get some mixers while you're at it. And ice cream. I feel like having ice cream'

 

Taeyeon nodded but she knew the shorter girl wouldn't even notice. Once she knew she was alone, she took out her phone to give Jessica a call.

 

'What do you want?' 

 

Taeyeon spoke through the phone. Her words came out harsh.

 

'Taeyeon?'

 

'What do you want?'

 

Taeyeon repeated herself.

 

'What?'

 

'How do you know her? How do you know Fany? Jess, I swear if you're playing games right now it's not funny.'

 

'Do you really think of me that way? Do you really think you're the only one regretting what happened that night?'

 

Taeyeon could hear Jessica raising her voice.

 

'Then why are you asking me if she knew?'

 

'Because I got paired up with her for a project.'

 

'Are you planning to tell her?'

 

'Are you crazy? Do you know how important the project is for my grades? Do you honestly think that I would jeopardize my grades for a mistake you made?'

 

'A mistake I made? The last time I checked, it takes two hands to clap.'

 

'Are you planning to tell her?' 

 

Jessica asked Taeyeon the same question that Taeyeon had asked her a few seconds ago.

 

'No. Not now. I don't know. I have to go now. We shouldn't talk to each other anymore. It's not going to make things look better for either of us. I'm sure your girlfriend wouldn't be pleased if she knew' 

 

Taeyeon ended the call and was about to walk to the convenience store when she heard a honk.

 

'Hey, where are you heading to?'

 

'You're early.'

 

'Class ended early.'

 

Taeyeon waited by the side for Yuri to park her car before they walked to the convenience store together. 

 

Once they got back to Sunny's apartment, introductions were made. As soon as that was over, they were enjoying each other's company. Yuri was playing video games with Sunny while Taeyeon busied herself with the drinks. As time passed, while Yuri and Sunny were busy sharing stories, Taeyeon did the one thing she knew that would keep her mind off Tiffany and Jessica. She drank as much as she could, as fast as she could. Soon enough, the girl had passed out on Sunny's couch. 

 

'What a lightweight' 

 

Sunny commented at the sleeping figure. Yuri just smiled as she poured herself another drink

 

'So, wait. You mentioned meeting a Korean while you were in Japan right? While you were taking a picture of a pink bike?'

 

Sunny asked the taller girl

 

'Yeah. Do you happen to know someone like her?'

 

'H..huh? How could that be possible. It would be a pretty scary coincidence right? Do you happen to have a picture of the pink bike?'

 

Yuri nodded and took out her phone. She scrolled through her gallery and clicked on the picture of the pink bike.

 

'Here.'

 

Yuri handed over her phone Sunny and leaned against the sofa as she gulped down her drink.

 

Sunny took one look at the picture and frowned but didn't say another word. Just as she was about to hand over the phone, a call came in. 

 

'Hey, someone's calling you.'

 

Sunny handed the phone over to Yuri

 

'Hello? Sica?' 

 

Yuri talked over the phone, immediately sitting up straight.

 

'What's wrong? Hey, why are you crying? Where are you? I'll be right there.'

 

Yuri stood up, almost stumbling backwards. 

 

'I don't think you're in the right condition to drive.'

 

Sunny told the girl

 

'You're right. Urgh. I should take a cab.'

 

'I'll keep you company while you wait.'

 

Sunny suggested. The pair stood up, leaving the sleeping Taeyeon alone on the sofa. It didn't take long until Yuri managed to flag a cab. Sunny waved goodbye to the girl. She stood near the pavement and called someone on her phone.

 

'Hey, are you free tomorrow? Lunch? There's something I need to ask you'

 

Sunny ended the call as she walked up to her apartment.

 

Please just let it be a mistake. Yuri can't be the girl that Sooyoung was talking about.

 

Sunny shook her head to get rid of that thought.