Chapter 4

I Can't Stay Away (Hiatus)

 

'Sica!'

 

Jessica turned around when she heard someone calling her name.

 

'Yul?'

 

Jessica was surprised to see the girl approaching her. They haven't called, texted or seen each other since that night. 

 

'Hey.'

 

'Hey.'

 

They shared an awkward greeting. 

 

'Where are you going?'

 

'Class. I've got class in a bit.'

 

'C…Can I walk you to class?'

 

Yuri found herself asking

 

'A..Are you sure?'

 

Jessica asked the taller girl. 

 

'Uhhuh'

 

Yuri nodded. Jessica wanted to wrap her arm around Yuri's like she used to but she knew that they weren't exactly at that stage yet. In fact, she wasn't even sure if they would ever get back to how things used to be. They walked in silence towards the school campus. Yuri was surprised that Jessica ended up attending the same college. They had a huge argument about college applications because Jessica wanted to attend a university overseas. Yuri argued that a long distance relationship would never work. It took a lot of coaxing and promises before Jessica finally agreed that they would attend the same university. Yuri was sure that since they broke up, Jessica wouldn't keep her end of the pact they made. She was surprised when Jessica mentioned that they would be school mates again.

 

'This is me'

 

Jessica said as she pointed to the design building. The pair exchanged glances. Both reluctant to leave, both unsure of what to do. A hug? A wave goodbye? Or just a simple 'Bye'?

Jessica made a small wave and turned towards the direction of her class. She was about to walk off when she felt Yuri holding on to her wrist. 

 

'Sica.'

 

'Huh?'

 

'I……I thought about what you said the other day. I'm not sure if things can ever go back to how they were but……I'm willing to give it a try. Being friends that is. You mean a lot to me. And……you were my best friend.'

 

Jessica smiled at what Yuri had just said. She would have hugged the girl right there and then. She wanted to give Yuri a peck on the cheek but that would have been inappropriate.

 

'Thanks.'

 

She responded. Those were the only words that came out from . 

 

'You should go now.' 

 

Yuri pointed to the front of the school building.

 

'Thank you. I really appreciate it.'

 

Jessica told the tanned girl again. Yuri waved to the shorter girl, this time, with a smile on her face. Yuri turned around to walk towards her own school building as soon as she saw Jessica disappear behind the glass doors. As she was walking away, she noticed a familiar figure running towards the design building. Yuri squinted her eyes to make sure that she wasn't seeing things. 

 

 

It's her. It's the girl.

 

Yuri kept her eyes on the redhead that just entered the building. She had forgotten about her suicidal move of agreeing to restart things with Jessica. About trying it out as friends again. 

 

                                                                                 X                      X

 

 

Earlier at the cafe, Tiffany was finally done with picking out her cake. She decided to settle for a muffin instead. She was about to join Yoona and Seohyun at the table when she glanced at the clock. 

 

'Oh my god. I took that long just to pick my dessert? I have to go! My class starts in 10 minutes! I'm so sorry, Seohyun. It was nice meeting you, Yoona!'

 

Tiffany bolted out of the cafe. The last thing she wanted was to be late for her class. It was the class that she's been looking forward to and a class that most people would die just to get in. Only those with an exceptional portfolio were allowed to enroll in the class. She ran as fast as she could and made it to the room just in time. As she was trying to catch her breath, she couldn't help but notice the girl that was sitting across the room. Blonde hair, cold exterior. There was something about this girl that Tiffany couldn't put her finger on. 

 

'Good afternoon everyone. I'm sure that none of you here need an introduction from me since I'm absolutely sure that you already know who I am. For the 1st week of this course, you will be paired up and asked to do a mini project. That project will be graded and it is 30% of your overall grade for this module. I hope you take it seriously. I want all of you to take out a piece of paper and make a stand with your name on it. Once I've announced your partners, please make sure you take a seat next to each other.'

 

The lecturer finished his announcement and gave the students in the room some time to get their name cards ready.

 

'Alright then. Let's get started. Yoon Bora - Kim Hyo Jung, Oh Hye Rin - Kim Yu Jin, Tiffany Hwang - Jessica Jung, ……………………. alright, please find your respective partners.'

 

Tiffany heard the names being called out and remembered her partner's name. Jessica. She looked around the class giving it a quick scan but couldn't seem to spot anyone with 'Jessica' on they name cards. She turned behind thinking that maybe the students behind her might have a Jessica somewhere. As she scanned the students sitting at the back, she frowned as she couldn't find her partner.

 

Maybe she's late or maybe she's not even here

 

Tiffany thought to herself until she heard a voice.

 

'So, you're Tiffany Hwang?'

 

She turned around to see the blonde girl that caught her eye standing in front of her. Tiffany nodded

 

'I'm Jessica. Your partner.'

 

Tiffany relaxed a little bit when she saw the girl smiling. She shook the girl's hand and lifted her bag from the empty seat next to her.

 

'Do you want to sit here?'

 

'Sure. I'm already up anyway. I'll go grab my stuff.'

 

The rest of the class went on pretty well as the two girls seemed to always be on the same page. They shared the same views on the design ideas and by the time the class ended, they were able to finish each other's sentences. Tiffany found it interesting how she could click so well with a stranger. Jessica felt the same way since it would usually take her forever to smile or even talk that much to someone else. It was as if there was an unexplainable connection between the pair and they both didn't mind.

 

'So, I'll see you on Wednesday? Do you want to do the project in the library or?'

 

Tiffany asked the girl.

 

'Do you want to just do it at my place? If you don't mind that is.'

 

'Sure. Sounds great.'

 

'I'll see you then' 

 

'Bye!'

 

The pair exchanged goodbyes. Tiffany reached into her bag and took out her phone. She opened a message that Taeyeon sent her.

 

Hey baby, Sunny's having a drinking session at her place tonight. Do you want to join us? - Taeyeon

 

Tiffany read the message and typed a reply

 

I think I'll give it a pass. I've got plenty of readings. Have fun! but not too much fun! - Tiffany

 

                                                                                 X                      X

 

 

'Did she reply? What did she say?'

 

Sunny asked Taeyeon. They were hanging out at the school's cafeteria since their class had ended a few hours ago.

 

'She said she's giving it a pass. Maybe I should give this a pass too.'

 

Taeyeon told her friend. 

 

'Oh come on! A few drinks won't hurt anyone. You can crash at my place if we've had too much to drink'

 

Sunny tried to coax her friend

 

'Do you mind if I invite a friend? She's my neighbor.'

 

'Sure. Whatever it takes to get you to accompany me tonight.'

 

'Tell me again why you're so persistent.'

 

'Do we really need a reason to drink?'

 

Sunny raised her eyebrow at her best friend.

 

'Fine Fine. I'll go.'

 

Taeyeon typed a message and sent it. She was hoping that Yuri would agree. For some reason, she felt safer if the girl were to join them. She felt that she won't be making the same mistake again.

 

Hey, do you have any plans tonight? A friend of mine is having a drinking session at her place. Was thinking if you'd like to come.' - Taeyeon

 

Taeyeon didn't have to wait long as a reply came soon after

 

Sure. Sounds like fun. What should I bring? Where should I meet you guys? - Yuri

 

What time does your class end? - Taeyeon

 

Still another two hours to go - Yuri

 

Did you drive to school? - Taeyeon

 

Yeah, I did. - Yuri

 

I'll send you the address. You can come straight down after you're done with class. We'll get the drinks but you're paying for dinner - Taeyeon

 

Deal. See you then! - Yuri