Chapter 3

I Can't Stay Away (Hiatus)

Yuri drove back feeling worse than she had expected. She parked her car once she got inside the apartment building and leaned back against her seat as she pressed her temple recalling the words that were exchanged just an hour earlier. There was a knock against her car window that snapped her out of her thoughts. She switched off her engine and got out of her car. 

 

'Penny for your thoughts?'

 

She heard the girl that she had seen earlier. Kim Taeyeon.

 

'Just some stuff. You don't look that great either.'

 

'Really? What gives?'

 

'Those.'

 

Yuri pointed out to the pack of beer and a few bottles of soju causing the other girl to burst into a laughter. It was a contagious one and Yuri couldn't help but chuckle along. 

 

'Do you want to share? I could use some company.'

 

Taeyeon offered, holding up the alcohol. 

 

'Sure. I've got a bottle of whisky and some mixers in my apartment'

 

Yuri replied with a smile. Yuri and Taeyeon spent the night getting to know each other over drinks at Taeyeon's place. They had gotten closer over the past few hours, so much so that they were already addressing each other by their nicknames. 

 

'She said that to you? Woah. You're going to hate me for this cause I said the same thing to a girl a few days ago.'

 

Taeyeon blurted out in her drunkeness.

 

'Really? You're an '

 

Yuri told the girl.

 

'I am.'

 

Taeyeon sighed as she poured herself another drink.

 

'I know we just met a few hours ago but I feel like I can share things with you.'

 

Taeyeon told the girl

 

'I'm known to have such an effect on people. Then again it could be the alcohol.'

 

'I said it to her after I slept with her. A drunken night.'

 

'Is she hot? If she is then good for you. Lucky girl'

 

Yuri said as she held her glass up for a toast.

 

'She is. There's one problem though.'

 

Taeyeon paused and poured herself another drink.

 

'I have a girlfriend'

 

'Well, you're not sleeping with me tonight' 

 

Yuri blurted out trying to lighten the mood. She was in no position to judge the girl in front of her. A girl she just met a couple of hours ago. A girl that just poured out her secrets to her. 

 

'At least you still have a love life.'

 

'That's about to end. I'm sure you've met someone that caught your eye. If you haven't, I'm sure you'll meet her soon enough'

 

'Yeah. I hope so. Thanks for the drinks'

 

Yuri thanked Taeyeon. She poured herself yet another drink as her mind drifted to think about the girl that she met in Japan.

 

'Thanks for hearing me out.'

 

Yuri helped Taeyeon clear the empty bottles and cans though it took her longer than she expected as she was slightly tipsy after all the alcohol intake. 

 

'Thanks Taeng. I'll see you tomorrow.'

 

'Aish. You can crash on the couch.'

 

'I have a bed just across your door.'

 

'I'll see you. Thanks Yul.'

 

As soon as Yuri left, Taeyeon took out her phone and dialed a number

 

'Hello? Taetae? It's 3am in the morning. What's wrong?'

 

'Pany? Pany Pany Tippany.'

 

'Taetae? Are you drunk? Where are you?'

 

'I'm at home. I'm not drunk. Just a few drinks with my new neighbor.'

 

'Okay. Are you sure you're okay?'

 

'I am. I love you. I really do.'

 

'I know.'

 

'I'm sorry.'

 

'Huh?'

 

Tiffany didn't hear a response. She heard a light snore instead. She ended the call but her heart feels heavy.

 

What are you not telling me?

 

She thought to herself. She wanted to ask Taeyeon if something was wrong when the girl was being a little over affectionate and clingy earlier on. This time, she made a mental note to ask the girl the next time they met up.

 

                                                                                          X                      X

 
A few days had passed since her drinking session with Taeyeon and school had already started. Yuri found herself sitting in a cafe with Yoona, coming clean with the younger girl about her encounter with Jessica.

 

'You did what?!'

 

Yoona slammed her cup on the table. Yuri could have sworn that the girl could have broken either the cup or the table itself.

 

'I can't believe you met up with her. Didn't I tell you that it's better if you don't see or talk to her? Kwon Yuri, don't you know that she's your achilles heel. Oh god.'

 

Yuri could only hold her gaze low. Yoona was right. Jessica is her achilles heel. Her greatest weakness. There was nothing she could do though. Yuri will always find herself drawn to the girl. She would be lying if the only souvenirs that she bought during her trip was just for Yoona. Sitting in the corner of her room was a small box filled with things that she had bought just because she thought Jessica might like it. It wasn't until she was packing them all up on the final day of her trip that she realized that it. As much as she tried to deny it, as much as she tries to hide it, there is a part of her that is still hopelessly in love with the blonde.

 

'I….I don't know okay. You know how I can never say no to her.'

 

Yoona rolled her eyes. She remembered how Yuri totally lost herself during the course of the relationship. Everything was about Jessica. Jessica this. Jessica that. It was an extremely unhealthy relationship in Yoona's opinion but it wasn't a one-sided thing. Jessica was just as obsessed with Yuri. At one point, the pair didn't even meet anyone else and kept to themselves for almost three months. Were they soul mates? Maybe or maybe not. The night the pair broke up, it was the first time in years that Yoona had seen Yuri so devastated. She had known the girl for years and the girl didn't even cry this much when her favorite pet goldfish died. Then again, you can't possibly compare a goldfish to a human can you?

 

Yuri had turned up at her doorstep. Yuri didn't say a word but Yoona could tell from the look in her eyes that something had happened. Something inside Yuri had died. She let the older girl in. As she went into the kitchen to get Yuri a glass of water, she texted her girlfriend apologizing that she has to cancel their date. It's an emergency. She said. She wasn't lying. That night, Yuri curled up on Yoona's bed and cried. She cried all night and the afternoon after. Yoona was sure that the girl had run out of tears because after that day, she hasn't seen Yuri shed a single tear. Yoona avoided mentioning Jessica's name. It doesn't take a genius to know that they were over. That Yuri and Jessica had called it quits. Yuri had never said it out loud. That she and Jessica had broken up. Those words had never left .

 

 

The door of the cafe rang thanks to the bells that was hung on the door's handle. Yuri had her back facing door. She got curious when she saw Yoona waving at someone. 

 

'Hyunnie!' 

 

Yuri knew who the girl was waving to. Her girlfriend. She liked how Seohyun and Yoona match each other. Seohyun has always been the more mature one in their relationship while Yoona, well Yoona balanced the relationship with her random bursts of mischief. Their relationship would always make her wonder if relationships were only meant to work if you have the right kind of balance. Maybe that was missing in her relationship with Jessica. Balance. 

 

'Yoongie? Oh. Yuri! Am I interrupting something?' 

 

Seohyun asked as she approached the pair. Seohyun noticed that Yuri was in deep thoughts. The girl was staring out of the window with a sad look on her face. 

 

'Yah!' 

 

Yoona who was already standing up to greet her girlfriend kicked Yuri's leg. Yuri was about to return the favor when she realized that she had forgotten her manners and has yet to greet the girl.

 

'Sorry. Hi Seohyun. Are you having your break now? Come join us.'

 

Yuri greeted the girl and pointed to the empty chair next to Yoona. Seohyun smiled and placed her bag on the chair.

 

'I'll go order my drink then.' 

 

'I'll join you. Do you need anything?'

 

Yoona asked Yuri but the older girl shook her head before continuing to stare outside the window. She looked at the people walking outside when someone caught her eye. Jessica.

 

                                                                                          X                      X

 

Yoona held Seohyun's hand as they walked towards the counter. Seohyun walked over to a girl that was staring at the cakes and tapped the girl's shoulder.

 

'Tiff! There's someone I want you to meet. This is Yoona, my girlfriend.'

 

Seohyun introduced Yoona to Tiffany. 

 

'Hi, it's nice to finally meet you. Seohyun talks about you a lot.'

 

Tiffany smiled at the girl standing next to her best friend.

 

'She does? Well, it's nice to finally meet you. I've met Sooyoung but Hyunnie says you're quite a busy person.'

 

Yoona commented. Seohyun had mentioned her friends a few times but she has yet Tiffany. Seohyun had said that Tiffany spends most of her time with her girlfriend which was why they rarely hung out. It's really funny because that reminded her of Yuri. The younger girl even made a comment that the only time they hung out with Tiffany is if her girlfriend was busy with something else.

 

I guess relationships do that to people

 

Yoona thought to herself. 

 

'Seohyun, which one should I get? They all look tempting.'

 

Tiffany pointed out to the cakes. Seohyun joined the girl in looking at the cakes as Yoona watched them with a smile on her face. 

 

'Yoong, Seohyun. I've got to go.' 

 

Yoona heard Yuri's voice and a tap on her shoulder.

 

'What? Your class doesn't start until an hour!'

 

Yoona responded but it was too late. Yuri was rushing towards the door. 

 

Seohyun and Tiffany turned around just in time to see Yuri's back disappear. 

 

'What's going on?'

 

Seohyun asked Yoona who's face was starting to show slight anger and concern. 

 

'Jess.' 

 

She muttered under her breath as her eyes followed the direction of where Yuri was going. Jessica. When it comes to Yuri, it will always be Jessica.