guardian

Mortal Guardian

“ricky.”

Changhyun’s eyebrows furrowed as his breath halted, his name was summoned. Not by the boy beside him but by something else. Trembling he looked up, high into the sky, eyes lingering and scanning each and every corners of the skyscrapers when they froze.

 

 

Something was alight, bright despite the dark cloudy night high up on the roof of a 68 story building. White glistening wings were reflecting the city lights clear and vivid in his eyes. chunji was watching him, perfectly stealth above the ground. The ability to fly was definitely gone but his strength enables chunji to jump incredibly far and high, somewhat making him soar. And ricky knew well just how fast chanhee could go, so the boy stood up and planned on running away when changjo grabbed his coat.

 

 

“where are you going?”

“ww..we should leave. Its late”

 

 

The moment changhyun snatched free his jacket and turned around, the phone in his hand dropped as a cold bead of sweat dripped free from his forehead. Chunji was standing in front of him, eyes fueled with wrath and envy. But still that face carved an enticing smile, looking straight to jonghyun who was silenced to his beauty. Beautiful blonde platinum hair, golden glistening eyes and pale pale skin with jet black rimmed eyelashes. Any heart would skip by the sight of chunji.

 

 

“hello. You must be changhyun’s new friend. i am chanhee, lee chan hee.”

Ricky’s guardian”

 

 

Standing up and bawling his fist, changjo looked straight into those golden eyes. Sure chanhee was gorgeous but the boy was not fooled on by looks, he smelled something foul. A scent that lingered around changhyun even from the beginning, jonghyun could definitely see where the source was. Now that scent was head-spinning, pungent, a cocktail of somewhat lavender and pine making the black hair boy coughed non-stop. His senses were aggravated by that strong scent, but he smelled something, a smell of danger.

Holding in the coughs and enduring his enflamed throat, jonghyun braced himself and held his hand out for a proper handshake.

 

 

“yes, I am jonghyun. Ricky’s friend”

“ricky…”

 

 

Chunji’s brown eyes quickly turned slightly golden, a sight of boiling annoyance the moment that name was uttered by jonghyun’s lips. A name he created with ljoe with love was then used by a boy he knew nothing of, his guts were twisted with aggravation and insults.

 

 

Shooting those emotions straight into changhyun’s eyes, he could see the trembles that ran down the boy’s spine. He saw the fear and somehow it had brought him some comfort and satisfaction, a wicked smirk plastered bright on his face right after.

 

 

“I think ricky should go home now… its getting late isn’t it ? changhyun?”

 

 

 He didn’t even need to turn around, chunji walked away with those words lingering through air. Plain and simple words to changjo sounded like a deathly order to ricky who was already shaking. Shaking off the jagging fear in his chest, the boy once again fake a bright smile and looked straight into changjo’s two hazel eyes.

 

 

“ aha.. he’s right. I should go now…”

 

 

But jonghyun’s saw right pass that feigned grin, he always does.

 

 

“ you think I’m dumb yoo chang? I can see you fingers trembling for bloody sake, you seriously wanna go back?”

 

“ you stayed here in this freezing weather rather than heading home before and now you make this little show that you missed it?!!”

 

 

His tone heighten, slightly aggravated from that entirely plastic smile. That smile made his chest tight with anger because through it all, he could see perfectly how afraid ricky was. But changhyun insisted on going home and for changjo to leave him alone.

 

 

“ what can you do jonghyun…. Take me in? Don’t kid your own guts, I NEED TO GO HOME”

“so… leave damn it”

 

 

His eyes frozen as the boy looked down, biting his own lips at his own sharp words. Changhyun needed to go home and he needed jonghyun away too. Any closer changjo would be playing with the death angel itself and he was already close enough, ricky knew that well.

 

So with a cold shoulder, the boy walked pass jonghyun silently, when the back of his hand slightly brushes against changjo’s. Warmth that had practically thawed his invincible wall of frozen emotions, a feeling of security.

 

“yeah.. I couldn’t take you in. but I would’ve stayed here with you…”

“if you want me to…”

 

 

Walking further away from changhyun, jonghyun would love to spare one look back but his chest warned him loud and clear to walk ahead. He feared that if he had looked back, the coming steps would be rather impossible. He was puzzled by this unusual fondness he had for changhyun too…..

He needed time.

 

 

Reaching home, changhyun felt the absence even outside the house. Frozen in front the door he realized that walking in was so much harder than stepping out. Still he braced himself to face the hollow spaces of his own home, silently making way to a room he had not visited for so long.

 

 

His petite figure allowed the boy to easily pass through a small hidden pathway, a path that was dark and tight. Lighted only by some candle lights, the walls were bright red when it turned burgundy the moment his shadows stained the flat concrete.  Arriving to a big entrance the door looked particularly eerie, metal on concrete with a small passcode button by the side.

 

Tapping on it rather casually changhyun held his breath and waited for the thick heavy plate of metal move aside. When it did, a gust of cold frosty haze went storming out of the door as the huge room was lighted with bright white neon lamp.

Just like the storming cold breeze that went out from the room, his eyes ached from the tears that threatened to spill and the slight taste of blood on his chewed lips, the boy’s face carved a crestfallen smile.

 

“im here”

“byunghyun…hyung”