"Are you scared?"

Mortal Guardian

Noise pollution was severe in Seoul, everything was screeching loud and the sound of cars honking, screeching tires was getting into Changhyun’s spine. He was aggravated. Every patrol he went for would be accompanied by noises and people beating each other up just for the sake of pride. This world he was living in was a pain in the neck. He sighed, shut his eyes from the view and stuffed his ears with music, ignoring the world. Leaving it is to crumble behind his back.

 

 

A week passed ever since he saw Changjo. The latter was like a ghost, not a shadow to be found after they met. Changhyun would have tried to contact him but Changjo never left a trace for him to find. All that the smaller could count on was hope and coincidence. He watched his steps, lightly counting them as he kept himself occupied. It was late, no one was on the streets anymore and it was quiet once again, pleasing his restless heart. He had to admit that the cold, silent road made him happy, somewhat in tranquility. He turned off the music, breathing deep as the cold air slammed into his lungs and freezing him from the inside. But he loved that sensation, that burn was a clear indication that he was stronger, livelier than before. As he trailed the same road, his eyes caught a glimpse of a few apparitions deep inside a dark alley, a place that he had never checked before. 

 

 

It was unnecessary; the road he was walking was a secluded district from the city, far away and nearer to the edge of Seoul. And from his ritualistic patrols, he had never seen a living soul after 10pm lingering around the area, that road was hauntingly quiet. No one had the guts to walk around at night, except for Changhyun of course.

 

 

The groaning was getting clearer as the young detective crept closer, hiding along the shadows. He exhaled slowly, controlling his breathing as he steeled himself and walked deeper into the alley. There were four men surrounding a young looking boy. But the youngest didn’t even flinched, instead the number of men were the ones that were filled with tremors. “We had orders; we’re here to erase this mistake Choi. Please cooperate!”

 

 

Changhyun’s eyes flickered as he processed the name, intensifying his glare at the group of men. His controlled, stable breathing halted as the blood rushed away from his face. It was Changjo, the boy who was surrounded was Changjo. His foot quivered, ready for a sprint but his mind was screaming for him to relax, to analyse the situation. Acting recklessly was never his type of approach and considering that most of the men surrounding his beloved looked rather inhumanely scary, a plan was desperately vital.

 

Two were injured, one with fractured shoulders and another, who was barely standing might have injured his legs. There was a chance. Then Changhyun scanned Changjo, who seemed rather beaten up. Blood was trailing down the latter’s forehead, there was a huge graze on his left shoulder and from the way he kept fiddling with his torso, it might be a sign that he had a few fractures on the ribs. Changhyun calculated every possible risk, he wanted to call for backup but he was sure that his team wouldn’t want to be involved in a fight between demons. They wouldn’t even know what the real danger was. Calling for Chunji would have been rather embarrassing…

“DIE YOU EIGHT TAILED FOX!!!! THE LADY WOULD BE GLAD TO HEAR YOU DEAD!!!!!!”

 

 

One of the men screamed as he lunged forward, swinging his long samurai-like sword toward Changjo. The younger however didn’t seem to be alarmed; instead he stood his ground as he closed his two gleaming eyes. Just before the blade descended, a loud thud banged all around the wall of the alley. The man missed, while Changjo was on the ground with a very familiar person on top of him. “Ah..jusshi?”

 

The taller exclaimed, still overwhelmed by the sudden rescue. Changhyun ignored the young man as he stood up and got ready for a fight. Once more the sword came swinging above his head as Changhyun skilfully dodged it and punched the man in the face, letting his guard down while he forcefully snapped the sword to the ground. “Stop!! I know who you are so if you don’t want any trouble, leave now!” he screamed while taking out a gun from his back pockets and aiming it to the group of men. 

 

 

Changjo was still on the ground, quietly observing the fight as he smirked; no one was about to leave. He whispered as he watched a man come storming towards Changhyun and snatching the gun away from the latter’s hand.

 

 

Then Changhyun came crashing down on top of him again, making the demon growled in pain as he tried to shift away. But it was impossible, four of the man started throwing kicks at Changhyun who was oddly still on top of him, somewhat protecting him from the agonizing blows.  The smaller grunted as he kept his head locked on Changjo’s shoulder, bearing each and every painful throws from the group of demons. “I…ugh…Im a policeman….arkk! I… called my ….ooww… my friends…they’re on the …way!”  the young man threatened the group of men, grunting in pain as they ceased. “Hey, stop! I know that mortal, he’s a detective. THAT’S ENOUGH! We leave right now; we don’t need to make it any messier”

 

“You know how the lady hates cleaning up” 

 

Another harsh kick was thrown at Changhyun before they eventually left. “Owww” the smaller sighed as his trembling fingers grazes over his own forehead; his hair was drenched in thick crimson. “Uh, hello? Get off would you please?!” Changjo grumbled as he slowly pushed the smaller away from his body. The taller sat up carefully as his right hand gently pressed over his left rib, grunting silently at the burn under his skin. “Ahjussi that is the last time you’re ever getting on top of me okay?!! Damn, for a small guy, you're bloody heavy!!” 

 

 

“Is he dead?” Changjo asked as he turned around after a few seconds of silence. Changhyun was too quiet and it made him rather uneasy. “Is…that your true form?” 

 

 

But before he could see the latter, Changjo halted. He forgot. His tails were hanging free; eight ethereal, pure white furs were floating behind his back. While his fangs had grown a few inches longer poking out of his lips and the white tattoo had reached all the way to his eyes, vining all over his skin with no such gap left to be seen. His pitch black hair was filled with white streaks of platinum fibers and his eyes were as blue as the sea, he looked unearthly, he looked inhuman…

 

He looked like monster. 

 

“Are you scared?” the young demon asked, glaring at Changhyun with a haunting gaze. But rather than an answer, Changhyun was sobbing. The mortal was crying at the presence of Changjo’s fully transformed body, the truest form he could have. “Go home Ahjussi, the nightmares would fade after a few days.”

 

 

Changjo walked away as his ghostly tails started to break into a gust of white fog, blurring the air with thick fog. 

 

 

“NO WAIT!” 

“I’m not scare….nnh” the light thud brought Changjo back as he searched for the young detective. Then something caught his foot, Changhyun was lying on the ground as a small puddle of blood accumulated beside the smaller’s head. “I knew this would happen, those ratchets kicked you right in the head. Oh god.” The demon sighed as he poked the unconscious human, silently staring at the stains of blood all around them.