Teaser 1

Vega and Polaris || YG Girl Group and Boy Group || Apply Open!

Logo_of_Soompi.jpg (490×243)

Star News Interviews YG Entertainment CEO, Yang Hyun Suk, on New Girl Group, Vega and New Boy Group, Polaris

charmander | February 22, 2014
57 Comments

tumblr_maosedOMzy1qf5mgu.jpg (500×388) 

Yang Hyun Suk is known as the CEO of one of the "Big Three" entertainment agencies, YG Entertainment. His achievements are some of the most outstanding in the K-Pop industry, creating two of the most popular acts in the K-Pop business, Big Bang and 2NE1. He continues to be the driving force behind two of K-Pop's oldest performers in the business, PSY and Epik High and even Hallyu actress, Goo Hye Sun.

With four more future acts he will add to his belt in the near future, YG's New Girl Group, WINNER, and the newest additions, Vega and Polaris, he hopes to continue in his success not only in Korea but worldwide.

He is definitely a force to be reckoned with. With Big Bang's Galaxy Alive Tour, 2NE1's New Evolution Tour, and PSY's success with Gangnam Style, YG's horizons have broadened beyond just Asia and brought them to a place that seems like will only keep going up the past two years. Along with G-Dragon's continuing success, 2NE1's comeback with CRUSH and their Now or Never Tour, and Vega and Polaris' debuts just around the corner, it seems that 2014 will be YG Entertainment's year.

"Vega and Polaris are definitely projects I am excited about. All the members are really diverse in their talents. All members in any group have both strengths and weaknesses but we chose these trainees specifically because while one may have a weakness in a certain area, for another member it would be their strength and they are able to fill up the gap. They are cohesive in a sense that they complete each other and fit together like a puzzle. I feel if even one of the members were not in the group, they would not be successful because there would just be that feeling that something is missing."

"Musically, they are very diverse as well. They have strengths in different genres and that helps to create a more diverse sound that would cater to the tastes of others while still maintaining the sound that they want to have. Bringing together the different sounds can attract a wider range of fans. Just by their album, there are songs that have more of a hip hop feel to it while others have a softer ballad atmosphere. It shows their wide range of talents and that they're not just a single-minded group that sticks to one genre. I have noticed that in a lot of artists now, they seem to find a style they are comfortable in and stick with it but our goal is to explore all different sounds and create a wide range of music."

When asked about their names, he responded, "Vega is a star that comes from the constellation, Lyra. Mythologically, the constellation is associated with the Greek musician, Orpheus who was killed by the maenads, worshipers of Dionysus, god of wine. The story goes on to say that Zeus sent an eagle to retrieve Orpheus' lyre and hang it in the sky, thus creating the constellation Lyra. Vega, because it is the brightest, is a symbol that their goal is to shine despite all the other stars surrounding it. These girls have worked so hard, coming from completely different backgrounds but blending together so perfectly. I know it will all pay off. Similarly, Polaris is the North Star and for centuries, lost sailors and travelers have used the North Star to find their way home. For many people, Polaris is one of the easist stars to point out because it is so bright. Like Vega, Polaris' goal is to outshine the other stars and make and impact on the audience. As the Guiding Star, Polaris aims to set an example for not only the next generation of idols to follow but also the next generation of kids to also become hard-working and chase their dreams."

What are your thoughts, Soompiers? Will Vega and Polaris be a hit or a miss?

Source: Star News via Nate

57 comments

Newest | OldestTop Comments


ygstan
12 hours ago
this is why i love papa yg. you can really tell he's so passionate about his job and he cares for everyone in the company. these groups haven't even debuted yet but he has so much faith in them yet they haven't proven anything
84 Like Reply

bigbangislove<3
7 hours ago
i love how he is so passionate but he lets others be passionate, too. he's not controlling them and is giving them enough freedom to make music the way they want it unlike other companies out there
38 Like Reply

randomcookies
5 hours ago
i know right! i hate how other companies, like sm, force the groups to have a specific image or a specific sound because then the sound we get isn't sincere. it isn't really them like how sm would force taengoo to sing those cutesy songs just to appeal to the audience even though she hated it
Like Reply

sikasikapika
5 hours ago
that is not true at all. sm may not give as much freedom as yg but they still let them be involved with the whole producing process. donghae helped write a couple songs for suju and amber even writes some of her own raps. sm isnt the only group that "appeals to the audience." yg has an image, too. CL has admitted so many times how they act differently on stage and alone at home. Dara's favorite singer is brittney spears. how does that fit into their sound?
25 Like Reply

ummagom
3 hours ago
PREACH IT GIRL!
Like Reply

randomcookies
4 hours ago
butthurt
 Like Reply

bigbangislove<3
7 hours ago
"I have noticed that in a lot of artists now, they seem  to find a style they are comfortable in and stick with it but our goal is to create a diverse feel."
^this. i hate how other groups just stick to the same sound over and over again. it's repetitive and gets so boring after a while.
44 Like Reply

onthighs
4 hours ago
i have to agree with you and, as much as i love them, sistar does this a lot, not saying that others don't. i've seen big bang do a lot of stuff that sounds the same. it's just that i don't like sistar's whole y *cough* desperate *cough* image. i want to see them mature and evolve
21 Like Reply

bigbangislove<3
4 hours ago
yea, big bang does do that, too. love song and blue sound similar, i have to admit. i think the whole lack of progression in a group happens because the company feels a band's fanbase is big enough so that whatever they put out would be a hit
though I'm not sure about the whole point you had about sistar. they've had a few concept changes every now and then. their images in Loving U and Shady Girl were so different from GNAAL and so cool.
Like Reply

onthighs
4 hours ago
yea, i noticed that it usually happens to all the big groups because they're in that comfortable spot. i think rookies have to go through that really big challenge of constantly reinventing themselves so that they can find that sound that fits them.
the thing with sistar is those are the only two concepts they had and when they completely bombed with shady girl and loving u, they went straight back to the y look.
                                               
 Like Reply

lalalalala~~~~
3 hours ago
^this. i want to like it 10000000000000000 times
 Like Reply

 

Hey you guys! So, I thought this was a long awaited update. I hope you like the teaser! This is just some info stuff about Vega and Polaris. It also holds some hints at what's to come! Do you guys like these style teasers? 

I was really surprised when I got all the applicants! I was not expecting so many guys which is why I only made Polaris a 3 member group (as opposed to Vega which is 4). At this point, I'm just wating for a few more girl applicants to come in. When I get a couple more, then I can set a firm deadline! Have an awesome week you guys!