Love & Thanks

Grateful Man (Third Installment of Dream Boy)

Stuff We Did 


Forty years passed; a quarter of those years were filled with fighting, another filled with depression, another filled with happiness, another filled with love. The children of the Byun family had already graduated, went to college, found the love of their lives, and were waiting for their future family. The couple were elderly, gray-haired, and nearly soulless.

Beep, beep. Baekhyun held his wife’s hand tightly as he could hear the IV beeping. Hyemi took deep breaths as she could barely keep her wrinkled, but sparkling eyes open. Baekhyun kept their shaking hands linked firmly, holding her one weak hand with two. No words were exchanged, but no need for any words, silence was enough for them.

“Mr. Byun?” Baekhyun turned his head to find the nurse there with a sad smile, “I think Mrs. Byun needs some rest. May you please come back tomorrow?” she asked, but she knew that the couple was sad about parting for the night. She’s been through that many times.

Baekhyun sighed, only looking back at his wife one last time before standing up, not letting go of her hand. “I don’t understand why you call us Mr. and Mrs. when we are your parents,” Baekhyun said as he continued to hold his gaze with his ill wife.

That small, sad smile lit up on their daughter’s face as she shifted her clipboard to her other arm. “Alright, well it’s time for you to go home, dad.” Minyeon saw how her father stayed silence, his eyes still on her mother’s. “Mom’s tired, you are too. Taesun’s here to take you home. Get some rest and you can come back tomorrow, dad. I’ll take good care of mom while you’re sleeping. If anything happens, I’ll call you.”

Baekhyun exhaled and looked at his daughter, “Promise?” he asked.

A small laugh erupted from Minyeon, “If mom could hear right now, she would say that you’re such a child.” Her laugh faltered as she watched Baekhyun turn his sad gaze back to his now-asleep wife. “There’s always tomorrow, dad. There’s always a tomorrow.”

Baekhyun turned back to his daughter before shuffling toward the door, finding his son waiting for him. “I’m glad you’re like you’re mother... She’d always tell me that whenever I’m down,” Baekhyun said in a shaky voice with a small smile. He sighed as he walked toward Taesun who was ready to help him walk. “There’s always tomorrow,” he muttered.

. . . . . . . .

“Thank you,” she said.

Baekhyun blinked as he looked down at his beautiful, young wife. “Why are you saying thank you?”

Hyemi smiled and hugged the elder’s arm, heaving out a long sigh, “Thanks for the wonderful adventure.” Baekhyun gave his wife a confused look. “In advance,” she said quickly with a happy smile. “I want those words to be the last words that I will ever say to you. When we get there, remind me, okay?”

Baekhyun stared at her, he didn’t want to think about the future yet but he smiled and nodded. “Yeah. I will.”

. . . . . . . .

“I waited, it’s tomorrow!” Baekhyun told Taesun, giving his son a wide smile.

Taesun avoided his father’s gaze and shook his head, “Dad, I don’t think we should go. Besides, we have planned things today!”

Baekhyun frowned, his wrinkles appearing on his face, “I want to visit your mother.”

“Dad, you’ve been spending weeks and weeks there in the hospital with mom. You need to-”

Baekhyun shook his head stubbornly. “No, no, no. I need to be with your mother. I need to remind her something.”

Taesun hesitated with his words, unable to start a sentence. “I- Dad-” He sighed and gave up, apologizing to everyone who could hear his thoughts at that moment for what he was about to say to his father, “Two minutes...”

“We’re leaving in two minutes?” Baekhyun said, eagerly. “Great! I’ll wait in the car!”

“No, no, dad!” Taesun stopped his father from leaving, “I meant two minutes. Two minutes after we left, Minyeon texted me... Mom, she’s... She’s watching over you right now...”

Baekhyun blinked and glanced around, “My Hyemi is out of the hospital? Where?”

“No, dad-” Taesun said, trying to explain.

“No. No!” Baekhyun exclaimed, “I don’t want to hear what you say. I refuse to accept this!” Taesun watched as he father sobbed and slowly sink onto the floor. “I didn’t get the chance to remind her...” he muttered.

His son sighed and bent down to Baekhyun’s eye level and placed his hand on the elder’s shoulder. “You’ll be able to see her again...”

“Where? When? In heaven or hell? When I die?” Baekhyun questioned.

Taesun frowned, “There are other ways of you two meeting other than when you die, dad... You’ll meet her again in your dreams, when you need her. Mom is always with you, dead or alive. In your heart and in your dreams. Here, mom wrote this for you a week ago.” He gave Baekhyun a folded piece of paper and patted his back one last time before shuffling away.

Baekhyun sighed, taking deep breaths as he started to unfold the paper. ‘Thanks for the wonderful adventure. You’re the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. Yours forever, dead or alive, Hyemi AKA Twerp. P.S. I remembered, just writing this unless I don’t get the chance to tell you. I love you, my Bacon.’

. . . . . . . .

Baekhyun exhaled sharply as he met his son outside the house, “Do you believe in heaven or reincarnation, my boy?”

Taesun raised a brow as he looked at his father with a worried look, “What do you mean, dad?”

“When I reach the end, if I go to heaven, I hope that my love with your mother will continue. If I go on to the next lifetime, I hope that I get the chance to meet your mother again,” Baekhyun said as he looked out beyond.

Taesun softened and gave his father a small smile, “You must really love her that much, huh?”

A huff escaped Baekhyun’s thin lips as he settled his hands on his hips, “Yes. Your mother and I have gone through some pretty rough times throughout our lives together. You’ve seen your friends’ parents’, they love each other for only two years and later they divorce. There was a point to where it felt as if love didn’t exist in between us anymore in the last forty something years, but we tried to keep a happy family. But then I realized that we still loved each other, but it was just too hard to express our love because of stress and work. That’s why most families never last long enough, they think their love for each other has gone and leave. Love is hard to get rid of, my son. It’s easy to forget, but it’s harder not to love.” He slapped the back of his son’s head, “Which is why you should keep your girlfriend happy. Don’t go do stupid things like I did back then.”

His son wrinkled his nose and rubbed the back of his head, “Well, a father’s love hurts. Gosh, stop hitting me. I’m not a teenager anymore.”

“You’re still a ten year old to me no matter what,” Baekhyun said, hitting his son in the back of the head again.

The son huffed, “Now that I look back, you and mom are nothing alike! You hit me a lot, she cared.”

Baekhyun smiled, “Well son, opposites attract.”

They sat in silence for a while until Taesun broke the silence, “Do you regret meeting mom?”

It took a while for Baekhyun to reply. He thought about his answer for a moment before answering, “Yeah, because she changed me into the person I thought I could never be, also because I hurt her in so many ways...”

“I’m sure mom forgives you for all those hard times, knowing that she’s been with you for what, forty or fifty years?”

“Forty-seven years to be exact.”

His son gives him a smile, “I’m sure mom forgives you since you know how long it has been since you two were together. She is a kind hearted woman anyway.” His father just smiled at him. “So what are you going to do now?”

“Wait until I meet her again. But for now, I’ll just move on.” He sighed and looked at the wedding ring on his ring finger. “I should really be the one thanking her for leading me on the best forty-seven years of adventures of my life.”


I just wanted to end this story. like ugh. ican't think of anything else to write. plus i got like 235908345 stories going on so.
i didn't feel like editing the grammar and stuff so. a crappy writing is what you get.

thanks for reading the dream boy series!!!!! mwah < 3