Love & Anger

Grateful Man (Third Installment of Dream Boy)

MBLAQ - Our Relationship


A tired sigh escaped from his mouth as he sat back in his seat, staring at the pile of documents that he must go through. It was past midnight and he was working overtime, again. Usually when he would work overnight, he would call his wife and children, bidding them a good night before going back to work. But this was an important day where he cannot take the time to speak with his family and his mind was on his work the whole night. There would be moments when his family popped into his mind, but he was too focused on his work that he forgot about them too soon.

The husband’s eyebrows knitted together, the pen in his hand has not been set down since the beginning of the day, and his lunch was untouched. Baekhyun signed his name at the end of each page that was needed. His stomach growled of hunger since the morning, but he ignored it. His only intention at that moment was to finish his work.

. . . . . . . .

She woke up to find her tired husband shuffling into their bedroom and towards their closet as he loosened his tie around his neck. Hyemi craned her head up to see the digital clock that was on the nightstand beside their bed, finding that it was just past three in the morning. A frown formed across her face as she heard Baekhyun turn on the water in the shower. *Now he’s home?* The wife knew better than to argue with her husband about how late he was to come home. She knew that he had to work overnight and knew that he only stayed because it was work that let them survive.

Hyemi felt her husband getting into bed on the other side. She hoped for her husband to wrap his arm around her waist and hold her close until morning like they used to, but he did none of that and drifted off to sleep as soon as his head was against the pillows. The wife turned her head back to see that Baekhyun’s back was facing hers. A frown was set upon her face. She missed the times when the two were just a newly couple.

. . . . . . . .

The next morning wasn’t like the family’s normal mornings. The couple argued about their son’s two-day school suspension, the eldest son just made the situation worse by butting into the argument, telling them to stop the arguing, and the youngest was crying at the table. Hours passed and dinner came. Baekhyun stared at the bills, documents, and letters that were in front of him at the dinner table. Hyemi yelled at the elder to take his things off of the table, but he did not obey and ignored her. Their two children snuck away from the table with their food and ate in the living room instead. The couple ended up not eating dinner. Hyemi threw the food into a trash bin and cleaned up, while Baekhyun busied himself in his office again.

The elder went to bed past midnight. He heard sniffling and silent sobs coming from his wife, but he never stopped to look at her. Instead, he went straight to sleep. The tears from Hyemi stopped when she cried herself to sleep.

. . . . . . . .

Baekhyun had the day off the next day and decided to wake up early to do the rest of his work, make breakfast before Hyemi could wake up, and woke up the two children from their tiring slumber. Their night was filled with yelling and endless arguments from their parents. When Baekhyun went into his daughter’s bedroom, he found her hugging her teddy bear and he knew that it was a sign of her wanting a peaceful sleep. He went into the eldest’s room and found him with headphones on, music on full volume. A frown settled upon his face as he knew who to blame later.

The children sat at the table with their heads hanging low as they ate their breakfast. Taesun had his headphones on with music on full volume, while the youngest sibling sat peacefully, humming to herself and swung her short legs under the chair as she tried to tune out her parents’ argument. “Because of all your yelling, the kids barely gotten any sleep last night!” Baekhyun complained.

“I wasn’t yelling last night, I was speaking in a loud voice like I am right now!” Hyemi said, her voice raising higher. “Only because you’re yelling at me!”

“I’m not yelling at you! I’m telling you what you did was wrong!” Baekhyun argued. The couple stayed silent for a moment and the children hurried up to the sink with their half empty bowls and hurried up their room. When the children left, Baekhyun heaved a sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose, “If only you did things right, we wouldn’t be in this mess right now-” He reopened his eyes to see that his wife had disappeared from his sight and slammed the front door closed. Another tired sigh came from him as he hung his head low.


short chapter for today. i really want to finish this, so two more chapters!