Part 3

The Small Dancing Studio

Part 3!

Sophie :)

_____________________________________________________

I sighed, looking at my plain, blue leotard that was hanging over the back of the computer chair in my room. It was so boring, not like Anya’s neon t-shirts which she wears with plain black trousers, creating an attractive and interesting outfit. Mine was just a plain white t-shirt over a plain blue leotard and plain skin coloured ballet shoes. If I wanted Jongin to even consider looking at me, I could at least buy a new outfit. So that was what Anya and I were doing.

“How about this?” I looked over the clothing rack to see Anya holding a neon pink leopard print t-shirt. I shook my head quickly, immediately thinking how obnoxiously bright the item of clothing was. I didn’t want to look like a complete weirdo, just different to what I was wearing before.

“No, it’s too ...” I waved my hands in a circular motion causing Anya to snort. Then I turned to the rack and leafed through it; stopping on a navy blue crop top with numerous pink and white butterflies going from the bottom right corner to the shoulder and over the back. I smiled as I ran my hand over the pattern before taking off the hanger and showing it to Anya. She looked over it once, like a critic that was never happy, before shaking her head. A downcast look came over my face as I looked at the top again; deciding I wanted it and placing it at the bottom of my cart.

The next stop was to get a new leotard. Anya had dragged me to my normal shop and we were soon looking through the material suits. Anya kept picking ones too showy or too bright – the worst being a bright orange tiger print one that was sparkly and had a bust cut so low it almost touched my belly button. That one was quickly disposed of and I ended up settling for a grey/silvery coloured one with a pretty design along the top. I managed to find some matching ballet shoes with ribbons that would curl around my legs; only bought with a lot of persuasion and the promise of a hot chocolate from Anya.

“Ready?” I glanced up from my phone to see Anya hurrying to Sehun’s side. We had been sitting in the lobby for the past half an hour (Anya demanding that we took the early bus) and finally, Sehun had come to call his class. I let out a sigh of relief when Anya disappeared through the door and silently thanked Sehun for taking her away. She had been chatting non-stop; complaining about how nervous she was and how she didn’t think she could remember half of their dance. Finally, peace fell over me for the next ten minutes whilst I waited for my class to start.

“Um, everybody for ballet follow me,” I smiled slightly at the boy next to me when Jongin slid out from the room and stood timidly in front of us. He wasn’t one that came across shy yet today something seemed a little off. He was quieter and his whole appearance was smaller than before, his hair flopping in his eyes slightly as he slipped back into the room. We all followed, around six of us. I cursed when there was enough space for us all to spread out and be in the front. I headed for the side of the room but was beaten by the same boy I smiled to earlier and so ended up slightly to the left. Jongin looked at all of us before smiling shyly and then beginning the warm up.

I couldn’t help but feel slightly relieved that the three blonde beauties weren’t there. It meant that there were no distraction for the class, or Jongin and it meant that I could get on without a scowl on my face.

“Legs higher,” Jongin demanded as we all moved to the music. I grunted slightly, along with the rest of the class as we swung our legs higher; some people losing control and having to stop for a second to regain their balance. I smiled as I was able to stay in the same spot; missing the way Jongin looked at me.

During the break, I slid down the wall and sat by my bag, pulling my bottle from my bag and taking a big gulp. Looking around, I noticed everyone was in the same state as me; sweaty and sipping water. I noticed the boy who was next to me come over and stand near me; his shadow blocking the light.

“Hi, I’m Lay,” he smiled brightly before sinking gracefully to the floor and sitting opposite me. I stared at him for a moment, calculating as to what he could possible want before sending him a coy smile.

“Jen,” I held my hand out and he shook it vigorously. He then proceeded to take out his own bottle and sip from it before glancing at his phone once.

“Are you going to be here often?” Lay asked after a brief pause. I nodded as I wiped my forehead before speaking.

“Yeah, my friend is in the other dance class.”

“Sehun’s?”

“Yup, she doesn’t like ballet,” I made a face and Lay laughed. I immediately felt as though I had known him since forever and I was almost sad when it was time to get back to dancing. During the break I had completely forgotten about my crush at the front of the class, only to be reminded when we all lined up and he took off his hoodie, revealing a skin tight white v-neck t-shirt. I swallowed thickly, wishing my breathing would even out so I could concentrate on the moves.

During the second half, I found it a lot harder to concentrate, not able to execute the dance moves as well as I had expected. My leg seemed too disobey all commands my brain was sending and I felt like I was making a fool of myself. However, it seemed as though Lay was having the same problem and I was grateful I wasn’t the only one. I was disappointed when Jongin didn’t help us though. Something changed about him slightly and whenever we made a mistake, instead of giving structural advice and helping us, he would just shout. It was scary and made it even harder to concentrate; a feeling of annoyance rising within me.

“You’ll never be dancers if you can’t even do that properly,” he barked sharply causing us all to jump. I the spot, trying again and again to get it right but nothing I did seemed to please him; not a single comment was given out.

“That’s the end,” Jongin said shortly before turning around and grabbing his towel, wiping along his neck and running a hand through his hair. I send a glare to his back before turning and grabbing my own stuff with Lay. I reached down, picking up my bag as Lay sent me a look which I shot back. We hurried out the door, not looking back at any of the students or the teacher and making our way to the lobby.

“What was up with him?” Lay asked as I plopped down onto one of the sofa; no sign of Anya.

“I dunno, do you think he’s like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?” I joked causing Lay to laugh. I stopped, however, when Jongin walked through the door and took a place at the front desk. I motioned forLay to stop, which he complied to as he took a seat opposite.

“So ....,” I sighed, praying that Anya would appear ... and she did. “Anya!”

“Sorry Jen,” she sounded out of breath, as though she had been running as she joined the two of us. She stared at Lay for a moment, looking at me before sighing.

“Anya, this is Lay – he dances in my class. Lay this is my friend, Anya, who’s in Sehun’s class,” I explained. Anya’s eyes widened for a moment before she sent Lay a shy wave; gaze focused on Sehun who had just joined Jongin behind the counter. I followed her line of view only to notice Sehun’s red cheek. I ‘tsch’ under my breath once before standing from the sofa.

“We should go. It was nice to meet you Lay. Will I see you next week?” I asked hopefully, wanting a friend in my class. If Jongin was going to change so quickly, I wanted someone there for moral support at least.

“Yeah, good to meet you too and I’ll be there. Can I get you number?” Lay asked as he pulled his phone from his pocket. I nodded before ing my own phone into his palms and taking his. Once I typed in the number and saved it under a simple ‘Jen from Dance’, I took my phone back and we headed out the door with one last goodbye. I scrolled through my contacts as we waited for the bus, trying to find Lay.

‘Lay <3’ I swallowed hard, staring at the phone as though it was an alien – did he like me?