Recognition

The Reckoning

"Okay, so let me get it straight," you say. Yoseob has explained everything to you and you understand better. "You got news that I was coming so you dorks–" ("Hey!" Doojoon protests) "–planned a 'welcome to our school' prank and it went all topsy turvy. Am I right?"

"Apparently yeah," replies Dongwoon who sighs. "I wish Doojoon would act more like a true man rather than a foolish child." You hum a short tune. "You shouldn't be the maknae! You should be the leader!" you say. And you mean it. Dongwoon looks at you in surprise as if he is insulted. In this case, he isn't. He hugs you tightly. "Thanks! That was one huge compliment you made!"

"But–but what about me?!" cries Doojoon.

"Sorry hyung," Hyunseung grins mischeivously. "But I think you're far out." He chuckles then pats Dongwoon's back who lets go of you and beams at you. You smile back as you feel heat rising up in your cheeks so you lower your head in case you are blushing.

"Aw come on!" Doojoon throws his hands up in the air in frustration and storms out of the mini room. Junhyung calls after him, "Just as a reminder, you're way out!" He laughs and so do the rest of you. All except Gikwang. He is as gloomy as you saw him first and he buries his   handsome but scary face in his chemistry book. The laughter dies. Yoseob walks over to him. "Hey dude, something wrong?" he asks. Gikwang doesn't answer. He simply turns his back on Yoseob and carries on reading the text. 

"Hyung," Yoseob tries again, "if you can't understand what we took in class today then I can help you in it."

"Nothing's wrong" is all that comes out from Gikwang in a low mutter. He shuts his book and, holding it tight, exits the mini room too. Yoseob goes after him but you stop him.

"He just wants some time to be alone," you say, staring into Yoseob's eyes. "When he feels it then he may come with us. It might not be long before he does so. Okay?" Your voice is serious but you give hints that you aren't trying to be rude. You grab his hand. Yoseob stays quiet for a moment. Then he slides his fingers through yours and gives an approving nod. He sits beside you on the couch.

"So," says Hyunseung, plopping onto a large cushion and embracing a smaller one in his arms, "how did the surprise biology test in fourth period come out?" Everyone groans except you.

"Hard!" Junhyung clutches his head.

"Killed me!" Yoseob lays his head on your shoulder.

"Don't think of mentioning it." Dongwoon shuts his eyes tight. He opens them again and turns to you. "D'ya think it's easy?" he asks.

"Mostly not, but only one question was easy," you reply. "Hyunseung?"

"I'm five hundred per cent sure I'm gonna fail," predicts. You place a hand on his shoulder. "It's okay. It's the first day as well isn't it? Those grades aren't counted," you assure him. Hyunseung brightens. "That's a relief!"

You continue to talk about the first day's studies and reviews. The chat slowly turns to families and relations.

"About time I get rid of that HyunA once and for all!" Hyunseung complains, hugging his cushion even tighter.

"Who's HyunA?" you are puzzled. A huge gasp arises from him. "You're kidding!" he says.

"HyunA's another girl your age, Somin," Junhyung explains. "She's a member of 4Minute, a female group under our label, Cube. She's been freaky ever since she saw poor Hyunseung. She wants to be with him."

"What's so bad about her?" you are still puzzled.

"Yikes!" Dongwoon has turned ghostly pale. "You do NOT wanna go near her!"

"You see," Yoseob wraps an arm around you (you feel heat rise in your cheeks once again). "She suffers a type of disease which makes her super hyper. Whenever she's near Hyunseung, she won't let go of him."

"Then that's something really terrible," you hide your face.

"Change the subject please!" Hyunseung pleads. "Everyone has parents here right?"

"Almost," you mutter. The boys turn to you. "What do you mean, 'almost'?" You remain quiet for a moment.

"Almost cuz I don't have any parents." These words hang in the air. Dongwoon raises an eyebrow, Hyunseung shakes his head in disbelief, Junhyung lets out a low 'what?!' and Yoseob's eyes fill with tears. "No," he whispers. He slides his fingers through yours and grasps them tightly. "I'm really sorry."

"It's alright," you whisper back.

"But if you don't have parents, then who takes care of you?" Junhyung has gotten up and sits beside you.

"My cousins," you say simply. "The eldest acts like a mother to all the rest. She's really nice."

"Oh." Hyunseung hangs his head low and you have a feeling that he is ashamed of what he just asked.

"I just hope that no one is crushing on me!" Junhyung squeals.

"Someone is," you have an idea. You have been through this once, you can go through it again. "It's that Cube soloist G.NA. Haven't you heard?" Yoseob says for you. Junhyung squeals again. "What?! Not her!"

"Just joking!" Yoseob laughs. "She's not even in this school!" Junhyung flushes rose red. He chases him around the mini room. The place erupts into laughter. You fall off the couch laughing so hard. Dongwoon rolled all over the ground laughing so hard. Hyunseung throws a cushion onto you.

So far, you think these boys are very nice, better than you expected them to be. They are playful, have good looks and have feelings. Now you only need to deal with Gikwang.