Just the Start

The Reckoning

"Annyeonghaseyo Somin," says your cousin as you step into the house and close the door. You have just returned from a very tiring day of high school, grading your own papers and shadow teaching for the actual teacher. Lucky for you, it was the last day before three months of relaxing summer vacation. Your other class fellows are really looking forward to it since they all have planned where they would be going to and staying for the holidays with their families.

All except you without your own.

"Annyeonghaseyo BoA," you greet your cousin, a 26-year-old teen pop sensation soloist known as BoA, who is in the kitchen making a delicious snack. The aromatic fragrance fills the air and sneaks into your nose and your stomach rumbles with hunger. You slump your heavy bag onto an empty chair then slide onto the chair next to it. You see BoA stirring a yellow-brown stew with a wooden ladle and pour it onto a plate. Getting a spoon and a fork for you, she puts the plate on the table and you immediately start stuffing the food into your mouth. She laughs.

"Hungry, aren't you honey?" she says. You nod between gulps of the stew. She pushes another chair and sits beside you, resting her head on her hand and staring at you intently, smiling. "So how was your day at school then?" she adds.

"It was okay. I guess," you say after you swallow the final spoonful and push your plate into the sink. The plate clatters loudly as it falls onto the other cookery. You wince then whisper, "Sorry bout that." BoA raises an eyebrow. You can't resist her young looks despite her old age. Her dark brown eyes dig into yours. Everyone in your school have been talking about her, saying that she has a nice voice, is very attractive and how they say you are the luckiest to be related closely to her. She deeply reminds you of your own mother.

"I expected you to finish a little later than that!" she exclaims. "Since when did you eat so fast?" You think for a moment, then reply ,"Forever?" BoA nudges you on your shoulder and you grimaces. "You know I'm kidding don't you honey?" she asks. You roll your eyes. You say, "Yeah and stop calling me honey! It's embarrassing!"

"Then will you think it as embarrassing when YOU do it to YOUR own children?" BoA sniggers in a young way. You are reminded of the bullies in your school, the way they snigger when they say false stuff about you. You shake your head and BoA nudges you again.

"Somin!" several male voices calls your name  at once from upstairs. "You're back!" You recognise those voices as your family friends who are staying with you. Seven boys in a pop group by the name Infinite. A red haired boy dashes down the stairs but skids into a wall and smashes his face in it. You hear a faint ouch! from him.

"Are you okay, Dongwoo?" you call. The boy removes his head from the wall, rubbing his face. "Yeah I'm fine!" he calls back. He shakes himself, brushing the dust off of his pitch black garments: a black coat over a black top with black jeans matching his black shoes. His black eyes are a trap to you, you think, because of the fact that his looks are perfect to Inspirits — fans of Infinite — and is very popular around town. And the world.

Dongwoo rushes over to where you are sitting and gives you a bone crushing hug. You push him off yourself. "I thought you weren't gonna come back," says he with the cutest pout you have ever seen. You slap his hand playfully.

"Don't be so ridiculous Dongwoo!" you and BoA laugh. He laughs as well just as five other boys appear from behind him. You could easily differentiate the similar looking boys. Woohyun, Sungjong, Hoya, Sunggyu and L are smiling and hugging you. You are thankful they don't hug as tight as Dongwoo does; theirs is soft and comfortable, making you want to sleep that instant. Woohyun is always scared if he might injure someone near him so he hugs you lightly, placing a warm hand on your head and letting your head rest on his shoulders.

"So," says Hoya as he and the others settle down around the table, "how'd your marking go?"

"Horrid?!" the naughty and talkattive leader Sunggyu interjects and falls off the chair as the innocent–looking maknae Sungjong delivers a nasty punch across Sunggyu's face. "What?! Wasn't she supposed to do it by herself?" he jokes, massaging his nose. Woohyun lets go of you and helps Sunggyu to his feet. You sigh heavily.

"He's right," you say. "It was horrid. Gave me a terible headache." You look around, then notice someone's missing. "Where's Sungyeol?" you add.

"Oh him?" Dongwoo shuts his eyes tight. He stretches his arms and lets out a long yawn.

"He's still asleep," L replies. You like the way he speaks. Other than the harsh and hyper voices of the other members, his is soft and calming. Whenever you feel uneasy, he speaks in a way that soothes you within seconds. "That fool never stops sleeping. We tried everything to wake him up." He pauses, shaking his head, then adds, "How does he even manage that?"

"Yeah, as if he's in coma!" BoA slaps her forehead. "He should be in the Guiness World Records! Longest sleeper born!" You all laugh hard.

"Hey you guys," says Hoya, "you know that Somin came from a busy day at school! Why aren't you giving her time to rest? It's already 9:00pm you know!" He looks at the clock. A long gasp rises from all of you.

"So much time just like that?" Sungjong squeaks in his usual squeaky voice. "Wow, I'm amazed! We were so obsessed into waking up Sungyeol since 12 hours ago that we didn't notice so much time fly by!"

"You spent 12 HOURS?" you stutter in shock. Sungjong nods his yellow–haired head. "Yurp,", says he, "and it's about time YOU get to sleep young lady!" He gets up from his chair and offers his soft hand. You notice it has a scratch across his fingers, a thick dark brown scab has just begun to form. You take his hand, wish everyone good night and go upstairs with Sungjong to your room.

"Hey Sungjong," you ask him just as he opens the door to a large colourful bedroom filled with posters and books with some old toys that you don't now use. You sit on your bed, sinking into your soft covers. He sits beside you, staring at you. "What happened to your hand?" You ask him. Sungjong quickly hides his scarred hand and says ,"Nothing. Some cat pawed at me."

"Then you have to be careful in what you're doing," you advise him as you pull the blanket covers over you. He smiles, nods, and kisses your cheek gently. "Sure thing," he says. "Good night kiddo."

"Good night," you say as he switches off the lights and heads back downstairs. You try not to think of anything with burden of pressure and you drift off to sleep.