Alike

De Novo

The sunlight streamed in through the opened blinds as a light singsong voice fleeted through Lay’s ears, “It’s such a nice day today, let’s go meet some friends!”

Lay struggled to open his eyes against the gleaming light as he groaned at having being woke, “It’s seem so early in the morning, how is it that you’re bursting with energy.”

“It’s already 11am! Get yourself up! Come on!” JaeIn urged jokingly, helping him up to get ready. After putting on a pullover over his hospital dress, JaeIn took hold of his wheelchair and pushed him somewhere.

What greeted him was a bustle of activity as JaeIn pushed him through the doors of the recreation room in the hospital. People were doing of kinds of activities, from puzzles to singing to instrument playing. They were not singing terribly nice, but no one really cared. All it matters was the fun they have.

“Hi, my name is Luhan. JaeIn told us about you. I really hope you have lots of fun here.” A young man with big doe eyes greeted him cheerfully. At a closer look, Lay realized that Luhan was only looking through his left eye, indicating that he was blind in his right eye.

“Some of the volunteers used to be patients here. Luhan got caught in a bombing and fatally blinded his right eye. He had wanted to be an actor but no one wan  See over there? That man singing is called WooHyun, he used to be an athlete but he trained so much he hurt his hamstring badly and couldn’t run anymore. He was depressed at first but turned to singing instead. Now he’s happy and has learned to let go.” JaeIn explained.

She continued, “People like WooHyun and Luhan had dreams too, but they learned to let go and embrace reality. They’re like you, so I know you can do it.”

Lay really didn’t know what to say about that. He really loved basketball, he wasn’t sure if he could let it go just like WooHyun and Luhan. JaeIn could sense his uncertainty and told him, “It takes time, don’t worry. The important thing is that you don’t give up on yourself now.”

“Lay-sshi, come on here! Can you play the piano? I need an accompaniment for a song!” WooHyun signaled to Lay from the side, who nodded his head.  JaeIn wheeled him to the piano and Lay took in a small quick breathe. He hadn’t really touched the piano in months since he was really training hard, he wondered if he could still play as well.

However, the moment he rested his fingers on the keys and played the first note, he seemed to blend right with the music. Lay’s feelings could be felt through his playing and he was a wonderful accompaniment to WooHyun’s soulful voice. Everyone around was fully captivated, including JaeIn.

JaeIn could feel that the piano was somewhat an important part in Lay’s life, before basketball took away all his attention. Just maybe, Lay could find back his passion in piano.

They spent the rest of the time singing alongside to Lay’s playing, WooHyun’s voice and the occasional voice of Luhan, who had such a sweet voice too.

Lay truly enjoyed his time at the recreation room. He had got to know new friends who were like him, and got the chance to touch the piano once more. He felt the urge to try, just like what JaeIn said. Just maybe he could, because of the support his new friends are giving him.