Meeting her

De Novo

I apologise for not updating, school's reopening and I've been playing a game. I can't play after school reopens, that's why. But I hope you like this chapter. I might not update as often anymore but do still stay with me. 

It has been days. Days since the doctor told him the hard truth. There was a chance he could recover, if he were to attend physiotherapy. But the chance was slim, so slim because he hurt his spine rather badly. Even if he were to be able to walk, he wouldn’t be able to run, to play basketball like he used to.

It was just like a huge boulder crashing down on Lay, his dream being incinerated in one’s mistake. Basketball was like his life, Lay did not know what to do now that he could not continue his dream. What was there for him anymore? Nothing.

Why should he start on the physiotherapy when there was practically no chance of recovering?  Lay was tired of life suddenly, feeling as if everything was meaningless. The only thing people around him was telling him that it’s not the end, that he had a long way ahead of him. It was not like he did not know that, but without basketball, he didn’t know what he could do. To add on to that fact, he was still struggling with his wheelchair and having a difficult moving around.

As Lay sat on his wheelchair wallowing in pity of himself, a voice behind spoke up, “ You should get yourself up and moving. It isn’t like you absolutely cannot move, so why not do something about your life? Face the reality and live with it.”

“That voice! The voice I heard while I was comatose!” Lay frantically tried to turn around but he really couldn’t maneuver his wheelchair. The girl grabbed his wheelchair and turned it around and walked back to his front.

 “ Hi, I’m JaeIn, Choi JaeIn. It’s really nice to meet  you, Lay-sshi. I’ve been seeing you lying in your hospital bed when I came by. I’ve also seen you after you woke up, looking like complete mess.” The girl beamed brightly with her hair pulled back neatly with a french braid down, completely the opposite of Lay, who was looking like a wreck.  He had not bother to kept himself neat after he received the news from the doctor.

Clearly embarrassed with looks right now, Lay quickly smoothed his hair and greeted her back. “ Why did you come to see me? I mean, we are not related so why bother? And why did you even bother to talk to me while I was unconscious?”

“It’s really nothing, I’m a volunteer at this hospital. I heard from the other volunteers that you got into an accident and was paralysed. I mean, you are quite famous after all, as a basketball player. I went to see you and you were just lying there for so long. I wanted to push you to wake up, because so many people are waiting for you. I just like to see people happy.” JaeIn replied, still smiling ever so brightly to him.

Lay did not really expect a total stranger to care so much about someone who was just lying there. But he guessed that JaeIn was just the sort to care for anyone who needed it, regardless who it was.  She seemed like that kind of person, with her unwavering bright smile.

“What can I do now? I have nothing left, I can never play basketball anymore. There’s nothing for me to do in the world anymore.” Lay moaned, a tear slipping down.

“You really shouldn’t give up like that. There are so much things you can do besides basketball. As long as you bother to try and not give up, you can find another interest besides basketball. I’m sure that basketball is not the only thing you’re good at right?” JaeIn consoled.

“That’s impossible, nothing will attract me besides basketball.” Lay retorted.

“That’s where you’re wrong. There are many people out there like you, you know. Let me bring you somewhere tomorrow, and I’ll show you just what I’m talking about. Then, you will understand, and maybe start living your life again. I’ll help you, as long as you need it, because that’s what I like doing,  to be happiness to people around.” JaeIn replied, and grabbed his wheelchair to push him back to his room. She knew he was getting tired and can’t exhaust himself too much.

After JaeIn left the room, Lay let his thoughts drift to her. He thought she was a really different girl, and something about her intrigued him a lot.

“Just maybe she’s right. Maybe there is still something  for me to do besides basketball.” This was Lay’s last thought before his eyes fluttered to a close and he went to sleep.