Crash

De Novo

‘This is too much, I need to get out of here. I can’t stand all this ruckus, I need some peace.’ Lay thought annoyingly.  He pushed his way out of the club and stood at the entrance. Knowing there was a park nearby, he was going to cross the road and walked over. He checked the road before he crossed over. He was just walking at leisure speed, he was so sure that there were not much cars that would go pass that road at that time of the night.

Yet, nearing the middle of the road, it came. A Blue Ferrari speeding its way towards him, it was pretty obvious the driver was drunk.  The car could not stay straight, it kept swerving different directions, and finally impacted with some hard. Lay did not what was coming until it hit him. Scream erupted through the dark night as his body went flying high towards the side.

‘No…no… I can’t die like this.” This thought flashed through Lay’s mind as he lay trembling on the ground. He could feel something wet surrounding him, and felt something calling his name repeatedly. He wanted to call out but nothing came out of his mouth. It was like he was getting further away from reality, he just wanted to drift off into sleep. Everything went black.

-------------

“Beep beep… beep beep.” The heartrate machine continuously sounded out, as a still figure laid at the side, unmoving to any sound made.  Days had past, people came and go, but Lay still did not wake up. He was not in critical condition anymore, but he was not waking up yet. His team members pleaded with him to wake up so that they can play in the basketball games again. His parents came by, praying fervently for their son to wake up quickly.

Lay could hear them clearly, very clearly, but he can’t seem to force himself to wake up. That was, until he heard a small voice at side, prodding him, “ Lay-sshi, I know you’re a good person, god won’t take you away so fast. Every of your loved ones is waiting for you to wake up. So, wake up soon.”

Lay wanted to wake badly, to find out who the girl was. His fingers twitched, one by one, slowly. His eyes fluttered open slowly. Instantly, a flurry of movements came up, his doctor was summoned to check his health. Finally, he had a clear state of mind, he was so happy to wake up. He tried to move but only resulted in a sharp pain at the bottom half of the body. It was not he realized, he couldn’t feel it at all. It was like his legs were not there at all.

“What happened, why can’t I feel my legs at all…. Hurry up! Tell me what happen!” Lay was full of shock and agitation, as tears streamed down his face, dreading badly what the doctor was going to say. Colours drained from his face, and he threw every available thing around him, screaming for everyone to get out of the room.

“I’m sorry, the accident hit your spine badly. You’re paralysed.”