VI

Humiliation

 

 

 

Luhan

 

“Luhan…”

 

“Luhan? Please, honey, let me check on your wounds…”

 

There was a voice penetrating the darkness, I now lived in. I held my breath, afraid they would come find me even here, in the only place I called peaceful. Someone kept calling my name. I was never so frightened as I am now. They have left me sitting in the dark in compliance to my order.

 

The door was locked from the inside. My mother wasn’t very smart. She’d fallen for my poor trick and had gone to get me water, the other night I was discharged from the hospital. I used the chance to lock her out—well, lock myself in, if I’m being honest. My dad went completely ballistic and threatened to break the door in two if I didn’t open. He calmed down after I sent him a text message, telling him that I want to be alone, for a while. He didn’t calm down completely until I told him that I have pre-stored food in my little fridge, and have plenty of water too.

 

I’m not going to kill myself, father, don’t worry~~~

 

I sent him another message. He left me alone afterward. My mom still had a hard time following his path. It’s been four days and she was starting to go crazy, convinced that I have run out of food supplies. I haven’t though. I told her, but she wouldn’t cease. So I started ignoring her. That led into even more chaotic events. My mother started calling neighbor friends over, they alongside herself, dad and the doctor started banging on my door in unison.

 

I closed my eyes and set my notebook aside. Annoyed, I pinched the bridge of my nose and tried not to charge in the door’s direction. I needed to control myself—I had to be able to control myself; otherwise, everything I was planning for so far will just tumble down the hill. Now the house is full of voices, all saying my name. I rubbed at my eyes, reaching for the dark circles I know are there.

 

I took the notebook and shoved into the big wooden box inside my closet. The action made the noises outside my door discreet a little. I placed the pile of clothes back on top of the strongbox. After that, I went to get the door. I took five steps forward before stopping in front of the door. I knew I could step back and let them be. It would be better for everyone if I stayed locked in. Unleashed, everyone is going to suffer, but they’re all pushing me to exit my cramped room.

 

They keep on knocking. They want to let loose the beast…

 

The lock on my door clicked once. I stepped back just in time as it swung open, before it hit my shoulder. The next second, my body was crushed whole into the deadly embrace of my mother who was crying like a newly widowed lovebird. My dad came in next, extracting my mother away and placing his examining hands all over my face. “God, Luhan…” he pulled me into a firmer embrace. My heart stayed unwavering, and that was a good thing, I suppose. “I’m glad you finally came out, son.”

 

“Yeah… I’m glad too.”

 

 

 

 

Im Yoona walked down the streets smiling to every person she’d met eyes with. Whenever she turned around, I’d hide my body closer to the walls. I felt almost like a stalker—really, just almost.

 

Yoona had the feeling she was being followed, for she kept turning in her walks, stopping occasionally to check if she had a dear stalker up her shoes, but I made sure she’d fine none whenever she’d turn around. I didn’t know my feet could really work that fast, but they did, and I was impressed, no make that, pleased with my performance.

 

Fluffing my bangs up to cover my eyes, I tucked my chin closer to my chest and slouched up a few feet away from her, waiting at the same crosswalk as her. Yoona noticed me. She couldn’t see my face, but you could tell she’d thought I was the person in disguise who was following her around all day. Clearing , she started to create some distance between us, slowly shuffling away as the seconds ticked by.

 

Even without looking in her general direction, I could define her exact whereabouts. Past experience had given me unusually sharp perceptions, especially, when it came to shady characters. After all, I was used to roaming the entire area with my head hung low and my shoulders slouched. This time, however, my shoulders weren’t hunched, and even though my head was hung low, I wasn’t ducking out of fear, only mischief, and Yoona was about to find out soon.

 

I didn’t follow her as she took a shield behind an older lady. In fact, I turned my body on her, but kept my sharp senses alert in case the target decided to run away. Yoona didn’t though—she probably thought she was a little paranoid, and really, she couldn’t think anything but that at my chic demonstration of classical stalking. She must’ve thought it was her imagination. After all, she wouldn’t expect me—a terrorized, weak kid—to hunt her down, once I’ve gotten all physically better.

 

I smiled to myself as Yoona got on the bus, followed by the older lady, who she apparently had been told to keep an eye on me, and was doing a great job at it, actually. A few more people were next in line, and in the end, there was only me. The bus was waiting for me to get on board. Everyone was growing rigid as I made them wait, delaying their travel, my head still hung low. In the end, I took one step back, letting the bus driver know that I was not taking this ride.

 

I could hear faint complains and aspirated gasps as the door to the bus slid closed. Turning upon my heel I started walking on the sidewalk. Heading in the same direction the bus was headed. There was at least ten meters between the bus and me when I raised my head. I smirked when I saw the teen’s face sticking at the back glass-frame, trying so hard to catch a hint of my blurring features. Confident that Yoona wouldn’t be able to make out my face; I smiled and raised one hand up, waving her a goodbye.

 

In the next second, she disappeared, ducking down completely as to avoid me. I almost shook my head at her stupidity. She thought that she’d gotten rid of me that way? That I did not know she lived only two blocks away? That her parents were not going to be home until later into the evening? Or that… she never hooks the spare key her parents gave her into her bag in fear of losing it, instead, she keeps it under the rug in front of their door step?

 

My smile grew bigger as I started to worry at my bottom lip to keep myself from laughing. Reaching into my jacket’s pocket, I held onto the tiny metal that was a copy of her spare key—the same copy I made two days ago when I was making my investigation on the Ims. I walked over to the nearest alley, and pulled free the bicycle I was keeping locked there.

 

Let Yoona think she was safe—she probably thought she would always be safe as long as she stuck around some crowd, and didn’t make eye-contact with strangers who were looking right at her, waving goodbye.

 

It was going to be a matter of minutes only, and I’d make it to home—to    her    home,    I    mean.      

 

 

 

 

“Do you think it’s really a good idea to let Luhan go out looking like that?” Mrs. Xi asked her husband as she sat the tray in her hands on the coffee table. “Looking like what?” Mr. Xi said wonderingly, as he thanked her quietly for the treat.

 

“I don’t know,” she shrugged her shoulders, “but letting him go out with a hair looking like Charles Manson is only going to make him look like the serial killer, darling. I don’t know why you hadn’t said anything when you saw him go out like that.”

 

“Heyhey, honey, don’t call him a Manson unless you see him holding a bloody knife, and it clean.” Mr. Xi said as he took a sip of his black coffee.

 

“Hey! You can’t say stuff like that about our son! Gosh, I can’t believe you just made me visualize my only son as a mass murderer, a blood-drenched knife of victims’ blood. Ew.” Shaking her head, Mrs. Xi went back into the kitchen to prepare dinner for the small family. Whatever she did, she tried her best not to encounter with any knives in the kitchen, for the fear of seeing the nasty vision of her soon drinking peoples’ blood over and over.

 

In the end, she decided that baking was probably the best choice. She pulled out her flour and equipments and started multitasking between baking a cake and a fruit pie, trying her best to avoid berries and the color red.   

 


Comments? Upvotes? Critiques?

Waiting to hear your thoughts <3